Thread: Article: Gathering The Hot Stove Pitching Rumors

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gathering The Pitching Rumors For The Hot Stove

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    so terry lyan is still living on his 1 good trade(or lucky trade i claim)
    he took a young all star offensive high average with pop and solid defensive catcher who also was left handed and traded for a #2 starter and a soft tossing AAA and a A pitcher...and this is what the legend of curly lyan is built on? 18 years is enough, he would trade an oil well for a dried mummy fart

my favorite twins moment is the day the 3 stooges get there walking papers

I dont remember AJ bein a solid defensive C but who was the soft tossing AAA pitcher....not Bonser, as he threw low-mid 90s. No way to call that lucky as they immediately inserted Nathan as the closer.
    I would hope that if Wash is still interested in Denard Span, that we would look around Ross Detwiller

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    so terry lyan is still living on his 1 good trade(or lucky trade i claim)
    he took a young all star offensive high average with pop and solid defensive catcher who also was left handed and traded for a #2 starter and a soft tossing AAA and a A pitcher...and this is what the legend of curly lyan is built on? 18 years is enough, he would trade an oil well for a dried mummy fart

my favorite twins moment is the day the 3 stooges get there walking papers

johnnydakota ... maybe football is your sport.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    The Devil Rays?????

You're showing your age, John.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. It's nice to see all these rumors rounded up and listed together.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    The Devil Rays?????

You're showing your age, John.
    I think that's a fine, payable to Joe Maddon.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice summary.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I dont remember AJ bein a solid defensive C but who was the soft tossing AAA pitcher....not Bonser, as he threw low-mid 90s. No way to call that lucky as they immediately inserted Nathan as the closer.
    I would hope that if Wash is still interested in Denard Span, that we would look around Ross Detwiller
    Detwiller? Interesting. That seems a lot like getting Hellickson but one year older with stats that are not quite as good. I do like the idea of acquiring a quality pitcher who is not yet 27. Neither of those guys are aces but having them in our rotation would likely go a long way.

do they have any of those proverbial baseball nursing homes in Indian Wells? If they do, Mr. Ryan will be in 7th heaven. Lots of innings eaters with eras over 4, which is so important for a smallball team with a below average batting average. You can do it mr. Ryan. I know it's hard to lose 90+ games 3 years in a row, but I have confidence
    in you that you can

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Mariners allegedly talking to Twins/Royals about pitching for Wil Myers/Hicks/Revere

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd rather let them have Revere than Hicks, his upside is a lot higher than Revere's. But we have plenty of options to get through the next few years waiting for Buxton if it takes Hicks to get good pitching. Anyone offering pitching for any of our outfielders should get serious consideration.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    i'm curious as why there aren't any rumors about SEA?

Keep ben revere!

Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    I'd rather let them have Revere than Hicks, his upside is a lot higher than Revere's. But we have plenty of options to get through the next few years waiting for Buxton if it takes Hicks to get good pitching. Anyone offering pitching for any of our outfielders should get serious consideration.
    First off, Hicks hasn't even reached AAA. Revere's proven he can hit big-league pitching.
    Revere's D is the best--far better than Span's. Also, on the basepaths, he forces pitchers to pay attention to him and makes Mauer better. Mauer was a .270 hitter with a propensity for double plays prior to Revere. When pitchers had to respect Revere and toss more fastballs to Joe, the DPs went WAY down and the average increased. (Mind you, I'm not attributing ALL of Mauer's success to Revere, but the speed does fit well into the lineup...)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weinshie View Post
    First off, Hicks hasn't even reached AAA. Revere's proven he can hit big-league pitching.
    Revere's D is the best--far better than Span's. Also, on the basepaths, he forces pitchers to pay attention to him and makes Mauer better. Mauer was a .270 hitter with a propensity for double plays prior to Revere. When pitchers had to respect Revere and toss more fastballs to Joe, the DPs went WAY down and the average increased. (Mind you, I'm not attributing ALL of Mauer's success to Revere, but the speed does fit well into the lineup...)
    Mauer has consistently hit better than .300 for years--long before Revere. Revere isn't better defensively than Span. Twins' need for SP is so high that if someone wants Revere--his replacements already exist, and they project far higher.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weinshie View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying about Revere (though I think you're a bit off about Mauer). Mostly I just feel like we've seen about the best of Ben Revere we're going to see. He doesn't have enough pop in his bat and he doesn't walk, meaning his OBP and OPS are never going to be anything special, even with his fairly high BA. That doesn't mean I think Revere is no good, but I think Hicks profiles to be a better overall player. The way I understand it he's just as fast, more patient at the plate, has more power potential, and though I'm not hugely concerned with it he has a much stronger arm. Yes, Hicks could flame out, but somebody from our glut of outfielders has to go, and I'd rather keep the one with the highest upside, even if there's still some chance at him washing out. Just a personal preference. We'd be replacing Revere's bat with Parmelee's at that point, and while obviously a different player, he might add another power hitter to the lineup which has potential to score a lot of runs, just in a different way than Revere's presence does.

With the assumption we'd keep Span if we traded Revere, we've still got time to let Hicks develop. Long-term Buxton "theoretically" has the highest upside of all of the numerous CF guys in our system, so if we trade Hicks, that's fine too. I'll be a little disappointed, but I'll just be happy to see them cleaning a CF out of our roster for something of value. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle was more interested in Hicks than Revere (the implication is there based on him being named first), but I'm just some schmoe on a message board, not a GM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree Revere has his limitations with his lack of power. But this is a guy that could hit 20 triples some year. No joke. He has the speed to do it. Hicks has a higher ceiling because he plays awesome D (like Revere) but Hicks has a cannon for an arm, where Revere has a mid-70's velocity from the outfield. Hicks is learning to steal more and more bases, so he could replace Revere immediately in the 2-hole if Revere were dealt to Seattle. (lets hope we do a deal with the Mariners for one of their top teir pitching prospects!)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    I agree Revere has his limitations with his lack of power. But this is a guy that could hit 20 triples some year. No joke. He has the speed to do it. H
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Doesn't matter how fast you are when you only hit a ball further than 300 feet when there's a blue moon, if we're talking triples. Revere had 20 extra base hits total this year between AAA and MLB, and has only had over 20 XBH's in a season once in his career, at Beloit in 2008 when he hit everything thrown at him. You should be applying this statement to Hicks, who actually can and does hit the ball into gaps, and some say he's faster than Revere over distance (like going 1st to 3rd, and long runs after fly balls in the OF). And this is coming from a guy who is a big fan of Revere as well, but as you said, he has his limitations.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I started making a calculator for measuring probable outcomes of at bats based on zone discipline and count, and BABIP on those counts, and whether a hitter has a green light or red light on 2-0, 3-0, and 3-1. I am stuck. Maybe someone who is good with probabilities can look at this and fill in the blanks? Any help would be appreciated:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5p...DRXYkk5ZjBFem8

I think its fairly obvious what I'm trying to do, but if not, pm me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I started making a calculator for measuring probable outcomes of at bats based on zone discipline and count, and BABIP on those counts, and whether a hitter has a green light or red light on 2-0, 3-0, and 3-1. I am stuck. Maybe someone who is good with probabilities can look at this and fill in the blanks? Any help would be appreciated:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5p...DRXYkk5ZjBFem8

I think its fairly obvious what I'm trying to do, but if not, pm me.
    Good Lord that is ambitiously awesome. I wish the Twins front office had the foresight to hire someone like you and whoever you find to finish your equation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast