Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sherman: Twins talking to Mariners

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'd much rather hear the Twins rumored to be going after these guys than the old guys like Ryan Dempster that we've also been hearing. I can't imagine any of these would be available for cheap.
    Agreed.

Apparently Sherman also noted the M's are talking to KC,and asking about Wil Myers, so MN is not in it alone.
    Well if Myers is on the table that trumps anything we can offer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    There was a tweet yesterday that claimed that (many?) GMs consider Brandon Maurer in the same class (or close) as the other, better-known prospects.

I think he might be a more likely target than either Walker or Hultzen.
    I read the Trade Rumors blurb about that, but it was actually just the Seattle front office who told Ken Rosenthal that THEY think he's on the same level as the other three prospects. So, pretty sure that is a negotiating ploy to drive up everyones value, or the Mariners way of saying, take Mauerer instead, he's just as good.

My question is, why are Hicks and Revere the two they are looking at? Why wouldn't the Mariners be looking at the middle option, Oswaldo Arcia? He's closer to MLB ready than Hicks and has much more upside than Revere. The only reason I can see them having no interest is if they are solely looking for their future leadoff hitter. On a team that offensively starved, I'd think that narrow of a focus would not be beneficial.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    There was a tweet yesterday that claimed that (many?) GMs consider Brandon Maurer in the same class (or close) as the other, better-known prospects.

I read the Trade Rumors blurb about that, but it was actually just the Seattle front office who told Ken Rosenthal that THEY think he's on the same level as the other three prospects. So, pretty sure that is a negotiating ploy to drive up everyones value, or the Mariners way of saying, take Mauerer instead, he's just as good.

My question is, why are Hicks and Revere the two they are looking at? Why wouldn't the Mariners be looking at the middle option, Oswaldo Arcia? He's closer to MLB ready than Hicks and has much more upside than Revere. The only reason I can see them having no interest is if they are solely looking for their future leadoff hitter. On a team that offensively starved, I'd think that narrow of a focus would not be beneficial.
    I think with their ballpark, even with the fences moved in, they would look to add an elite CFer. That would also explain why they would mention Revere.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like everyone here thinks Revere had a career year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    As time goes by, everybody tires, the little fast guys slow down but the big guys stay big.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Twins fans are giving up pretty fast.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Top Gun, not only are you a Twins Daily Legend, you are also a National Treasure.

I love you man - keep em' coming!

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So this year, about where will these guys on the Mariners be ranked in national prospect lists? ARe any top 20? Top 50? Top 100?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    So this year, about where will these guys on the Mariners be ranked in national prospect lists? ARe any top 20? Top 50? Top 100?
    Walker will be top 3. Hultzen top 10. They have a 2B Nick Franklin who should be top 20ish. Paxton top 100. Saw him in the Rising Stars game.. Low 90s fastball but had a lot of life on it, nothing else stood out, but he didn't pitch long.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

I think with their ballpark, even with the fences moved in, they would look to add an elite CFer. That would also explain why they would mention Revere.
    Good catch. It got a little hard to follow when Rosenthal threw a name out (that was spelled incorrectly) and then had to make the correction tweet later. Maurer was very good this past year after coming into the season with considerable upside (a #2 starter according to BA).

Knowing that the Mariners had young pitching, that they deal from depth (Pineda last year) and that the Twins had extra center fielders, I tried to match them as trade partners... I just couldn't get past the fact that the Mariners already have a pretty good (and expensive) center fielder tied up. Granted, Gutierrez has had the injury bug, I thought it would make more sense for them to search for a corner outfield - and I didn't really see the Twins dealing Arcia.

Regardless, I don't think the Twins have what it would take to get Hultzen or Walker... and probably not Paxton. (Ok, they probably have it... they just wouldn't trade it.) I do think Maurer serves as a nice alternative. If the Twins are serious about getting Parmelee regular at-bats, they could move Revere. The Twins would probably have to kick in a lower pitching prospect to make it work. Maurer probably isn't going to be a Top 100 guy (maybe...?), but he fits the Twins mold as a guy that, as BA says, "pounds the strike zone". He sits around 94, did a great job of hitting the corners this year and has developed a slider that disappears on hitters.

If Hultzen or Walker are truly available the Twins owe it to the franchise to make a deal here.

Hicks and maybe Morneau (with the Twins eating salary) could be a good start.

BA had Walker at 4 and Hultzen at 5 midseason, BP had Walker at 6, Hultzen at 27 and Paxton at 42, Law had Walker at 6 and Hultzen at 24.

It's worth noting that Hultzen, who was generally touted for his command, had the screws come off at AAA and couldn't find the zone (7.95 BB/9). Not quite an Alex Wimmers meltdown, but not that far off either. Coming into the year, most people expected him to finish the season in the Seattle rotation. Most people don't seem to think that he has the stuff you'd generally associate with the #2 overall pick, so the command struggles are a real concern. Though his ERA was excellent (1.19) at AA, he wasn't exactly Brad Radke there either, as he walked almost four batters per 9.

Paxton is a lefty with a very good fastball, but is praised most for his curve. Command and the changeup seem to lag behind. Still some bullpen whispers surrounding him.

Maurer really came onto the scene this year. Coming into the season, BA had him at 21 in the Mariners system, and BP had him at 18. He throws hard and supposedly has a good slider and developing change. He's had a lot of health issues, so most people figured he was heading for the bullpen before he pitched really well as starter this year.

Taijuan Walker is one of the top two or three pitching prospects in baseball and would be off the table in just about any trade discussion imaginable.

I'd imagine Walker will be in the top five of any Top 100 list. Hultzen could be as high as ten and as low as the 30-40 range. I could see Paxton in the top 50 and Maurer near the bottom.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    As time goes by, everybody tires, the little fast guys slow down but the big guys stay big.
    Fangraphs had a great study this year that showed that stolen bases may dip, but defense really doesn't for speed guys until late in their 30s.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that if the Twins decide to accept an offer for Revere instead of Span, Terry Ryan is really backing up his claims of being competitive in 2013. Revere is a good player, but he can't be any better than he is. The Twins need HRs and not speed in a corner outfield spot. I'd be extremely excited and happy since this a huge thing I wanted for this offseason. Hold on to proven value like Span and ship off a question mark like Revere who may have just shown his peak.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 11-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    It would be great to sell relatively high on Revere for none of the reasons House lists. He's a solid player but I don't see him as a long term piece. If you can land a long term pitcher then it would be great. tbh I'm all for trading any of the pieces that have been discussed if the return is good enough. And I'm encouraged that there are so many rumors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Danny Hultzen will be great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12