Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: RA Dickey

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 349 Times in 175 Posts

    RA Dickey

    The Mets are shopping him since they are far apart in extension talks.

    Not sure what the asking price would be, but it could be somewhat high seeing how he is on a very friendly contract next season (just 5 mil). He could be a trade target possibly, but would be way about giving him anything more then a 2-3 year extension if we do so. The Mets literally need everything, so 2-3 solid prospects could get it done.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,586
    Like
    1,105
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    I would, but the Twins will not, is my guess.

  3. #3
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,419
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 154 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    240

    The Return of RA Dickey?

    Damn my imagination.

    The Mets are suddenly a team strapped for cash, looking for outfielders and open to trading RA Dickey. While Dickey is 38 years old, he's also a decent bet to age well, struck out 9 per 9 last year and has thrown 440 innings over the last two years with a 2.99 ERA. So here are the questions that spring to mind....

    1. Who would you trade for him? Span? Willingham? Hicks? Arcia?
    2. Would it require him aggreeing to a contract extenstion to complete the deal? (He's a free agent next year)
    3. This forum seems to be opposed to acquiring anyone who is, well, about the age of a lot of guys on this forum. But is Dickey the exception?

  4. #4
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,586
    Like
    1,105
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    I would get him, yes. He shows no sign of decline. I would trade Span for him in a second.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    133
    Like
    1
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Trade for him and sign him

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,598
    Like
    240
    Liked 179 Times in 112 Posts
    I'd trade a guy like Arcia or Revere for him but not Span, Willingham or are other top prospects. The thought of betting on a knuckleballer frightens me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 349 Times in 175 Posts
    Already a thread

  8. #8
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,419
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 154 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    240
    Sorry Dave. I missed it. I've merged the threads. (Hope I did it right.)

    I find it interesting that people are interested in Dickey but not interested in Dempster.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 349 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Sorry Dave. I missed it. I've merged the threads. (Hope I did it right.)

    I find it interesting that people are interested in Dickey but not interested in Dempster.
    No worries. I am actually interested in both (at the right price), however I think Dickey has a significantly higher upside, and on a personal note seems like a really awesome guy to root for.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd take Dickey in a heartbeat. He's got an amazing story, a true class act, and arguably the best pitcher in the NL last year. While it'd be nice if he were a decade younger, I'd take 38 year old Dickey over a 34+ year old "traditional" style 4th or 5th string starter

  11. #11
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,189
    Like
    350
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    the quesiton I'd ask is whether a kunckleballer is like a sinker baller where they can suddenly forget their pitch.

  12. #12
    Member Single-A rogrulz30's Avatar
    Posts
    54
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    58
    I would be much more inclined to get Dickey than Dempster, I am one who is against the aging types, but a team friendly contract in a pitcher friendly park, not too injury prone, I would be in favor of having him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,586
    Like
    1,105
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Um, if Dickey would sign a team friendly deal, he would be signed. He is one of the most effective pitchers in the game, he will be expensive.

  14. #14
    I'm interested, but would feel better about surrendering one of our top prospects if we can get Dickey and sign him for more than just 2013.
    Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition to the rotation (well, Dickey and Diamond would be the rotation right now), but I'm not in favor of giving up one of our top 10 prospects for one year of good (or even great) pitching from one pitcher. It would be one thing if this team was just 1 above-average pitcher away from competing, but we all know that's not the case.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 349 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I'm interested, but would feel better about surrendering one of our top prospects if we can get Dickey and sign him for more than just 2013.
    Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition to the rotation (well, Dickey and Diamond would be the rotation right now), but I'm not in favor of giving up one of our top 10 prospects for one year of good (or even great) pitching from one pitcher. It would be one thing if this team was just 1 above-average pitcher away from competing, but we all know that's not the case.
    I would gladly give up any of our 7-10 prospects for one great year from Dickey. So would any other team in baseball.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I'm interested, but would feel better about surrendering one of our top prospects if we can get Dickey and sign him for more than just 2013.
    Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition to the rotation (well, Dickey and Diamond would be the rotation right now), but I'm not in favor of giving up one of our top 10 prospects for one year of good (or even great) pitching from one pitcher. It would be one thing if this team was just 1 above-average pitcher away from competing, but we all know that's not the case.
    I would gladly give up any of our 7-10 prospects for one great year from Dickey. So would any other team in baseball.
    I guess my question would be, where does that get us? If this is part of a major rotation re-vamp, and the Twins legitimately expect to contend with the Tigers next season, then sure. Count me in by all means.

    But if 2013 is going to be rebuilding under the guise of fielding a somewhat decent team -- which I guess I'm sort of resigned to believing, and am actually somewhat OK with for this year only -- then I'm not sure that getting an extra 8-10 wins (or whatever difference Dickey might provide) for just 1 season does it for me, regardless of how those #7-10 prospects eventually pan out.
    Last edited by Twins Fan From Afar; 11-09-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 349 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I'm interested, but would feel better about surrendering one of our top prospects if we can get Dickey and sign him for more than just 2013.
    Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition to the rotation (well, Dickey and Diamond would be the rotation right now), but I'm not in favor of giving up one of our top 10 prospects for one year of good (or even great) pitching from one pitcher. It would be one thing if this team was just 1 above-average pitcher away from competing, but we all know that's not the case.
    I would gladly give up any of our 7-10 prospects for one great year from Dickey. So would any other team in baseball.
    I guess my question would be, where does that get us? If this is part of a major rotation re-vamp, and the Twins legitimately expect to contend with the Tigers next season, then sure. Count me in by all means.

    But if 2013 is going to be rebuilding under the guise of fielding a somewhat decent team -- which I guess I'm sort of resigned to believing, and am actually somewhat OK with for this year only -- then I'm not sure that getting an extra 8-10 wins (or whatever difference Dickey might provide) for just 1 season does it for me, regardless of how those #7-10 prospects eventually pan out.
    Scenarios:

    -The Twins are good, in addition to adding Dickey they are able to add another 2 pitchers from Free Agency since Dickey only costs 5 mil.
    -The Twins suck and the Twins are able to flip Dickey at the Deadline for a nice package.
    -The Twins are decent, but miss the playoffs, they hold onto Dickey for the year and then lose him at the end of the season. (But get a draft pick in return)
    -Any of the Scenarios above but they manage to sign Dickey to an extension.

    Again I'm not saying trade any of our top prospects, but any of the 7-10 is a no brainer. And if we could get an extension worked out with him (prior to completion of the trade) I wouldn't have a big issue tossing in a guy like Arcia as well.

  18. #18
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,473 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I'm not entirely sold on the idea but Dickey's contract shouldn't be viewed too negatively. If he's mediocre, you can probably re-sign him. If he's good, you can make a qualifying offer and take the pick. If he's bad, well... sometimes, you just run into crap luck.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 349 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm not entirely sold on the idea but Dickey's contract shouldn't be viewed too negatively. If he's mediocre, you can probably re-sign him. If he's good, you can make a qualifying offer and take the pick. If he's bad, well... sometimes, you just run into crap luck.
    There is nothing to suggest that he will be anything but good.

    In his last 3 years he has a 2.95 ERA, and showed improvement last year quite a bit.

  20. #20
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,473 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm not entirely sold on the idea but Dickey's contract shouldn't be viewed too negatively. If he's mediocre, you can probably re-sign him. If he's good, you can make a qualifying offer and take the pick. If he's bad, well... sometimes, you just run into crap luck.
    There is nothing to suggest that he will be anything but good.

    In his last 3 years he has a 2.95 ERA, and showed improvement last year quite a bit.
    I wasn't trying to predict Dickey's performance... Just stating that no matter what happens (outside of a catastrophic injury), the Twins wouldn't be hurting too badly from the trade (unless they gave up the farm to get him, a near impossibility with JR as GM).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.