Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: What about Willingham to the Yankees?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts

What about Willingham to the Yankees?

Couple thoughts:

The Yankees are cutting payroll quite a bit over the next year, which means that Swisher is gone, and Grandersons future in pinstripes could be in doubt after next season. After the ALCS debacle the Yankees will be looking to add some legitimate offense to the team. Willingham is affordable and seems like a perfect fit for them.

One guy I think we could target would be Ivan Nova, who still is young and under team control until 2017, his ERA etc weren't the greatest last season in a very tough AL East (tough ball park to pitch in as well) but looking closer at the data he managed to put up a 3.97 xFIP.

Another guy we could potentially get in the trade as well would be Joba Chamberlin who seems to have fallen out of favor with the club. Joba is a bit of an enigma, but I would like to see if Cueller and Anderson could work with him a bit.

So Willingham for Nova and Joba, interested?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    Nova is such a strange pitcher. I'm seriously not trying to be one of the bobo's freaking out about the Twins trying to make everyone pitch to contact, but I'm sure they actually would do that with Nova.

He pitched much better away from Yankeed stadium, yet his K/9 was a half of point lower when he did. Similarly, he only had one month last year where his ERA was under 5.00 and his WHIP was under 1.500 and that was June, the only month he had a K/9 of under 7.4. I think his ERA and WHIP are probably in line for a bit of a lower correction but in doing so, certainly his K/9 will also correct lower. I think at best he's going to be a #4 starter. I think I'd rather have two more years of Willingham or wait for a better offer.

No interest in Chamberlain, I think his name has more value than his performance does at this point.