Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Keith Law

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Keith Law

    In his latest chat, he says Hicks and Arcia aren't ready for the majors to start this season and that he figures Rosario will end up in CF.

    He's also a Max Kepler believer. Doesn't think he'll be a star but will be an every day player.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    because Rosario cant play 2B?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    968
    Like
    4
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    because Rosario cant play 2B?
    Early reviews haven't been great, but the Twins are trying that because they've got more minor league center fielders than minor league center fields to patrol. Law might be right about that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Is it wrong to hate Keith Law as a person, but respect him when it comes to his baseball work? Because he is a dang good Baseball Scout/mind.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,159
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    In his latest chat, he says Hicks and Arcia aren't ready for the majors to start this season and that he figures Rosario will end up in CF.

    He's also a Max Kepler believer. Doesn't think he'll be a star but will be an every day player.
    Doubt it unless he's going to unseat Span, Revere, Hicks AND Buxton. Rosario's an awesome athlete, he'll make 2B work. Law does fantastic work, but I think using an injury-shortened transition year to make that judgment is a little hasty. Did the report say that Law saw him in fall league? The reports where that his defense was much improved.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,603
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    It was a one liner in a chat....and I love KLaw...

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It was a one liner in a chat....and I love KLaw...
    Yep...and yep...

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,754
    Like
    130
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Is it wrong to hate Keith Law as a person, but respect him when it comes to his baseball work? Because he is a dang good Baseball Scout/mind.
    No. He's a schmuck. It's fine to be smart, but he's so sanctimonious it rubs the wrong way.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Is it wrong to hate Keith Law as a person, but respect him when it comes to his baseball work? Because he is a dang good Baseball Scout/mind.
    No. He's a schmuck. It's fine to be smart, but he's so sanctimonious it rubs the wrong way.
    Thats probably why he doesnt have another job in the MLB.... he can be a dick, he's a very talented guy and its very tough to predict prospects.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Thats probably why he doesnt have another job in the MLB.... he can be a dick, he's a very talented guy and its very tough to predict prospects.
    He says what he means and he's unapologetic about it. I like people like that. He stands by what he thinks and he backs up what he says. I like that too. This world has gotten way too touchy feely in general, worrying so much about hurting other people's feelings. Understand I'm not talking about hurting feelings just to hurt feelings...that's not cool.

    Not only that, people seem to think everything is an opinion, and that's not true. There are times, when people are right and people are wrong. Period. He'll point that out too. I like him. He's a bit harsh, but that's okay.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,782
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    How many total games has KLaw seen Rosario play at second base? Unless it is more than 20 or so, it is too small a sample to form an opinion. I remember him being in Beloit a grand total of one game this season...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    579
    Like
    6
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Haha, I called him out for not listing any twins players in a recent post about available outfielders. I said it was ''dumb" to not list span. He actual wrote back saying he doesnt think it will happen because arcia and hicks arent ready for majors next year. Then he said i shouldnt call people dumb. Then i told him he was dumb because they would trade span to open up a spot for parmalee AND because of the depth in the minors artcenter field. True story...he isnt a twins fan by my estimation of his stories.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,782
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    .he isnt a twins fan by my estimation of his stories.
    Well,,, LEN3 is not a Twins' fan either, but that does not make him not report the Twins' objectively (at least what he is accessing as a beat writer; lots of that is what the club officially says.) Law (like lots of scouts) tend to form opinions with very small sample sizes, which is not that great. You see a guy playing a couple days in a row only and he is fighting a cold or something those days, you just cannot form a valid opinion. You got to follow someone a whole season (at least) to form a valid opinion and, as far as prospects go, they grow and they improve. That is part of the game as well..
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  14. #14
    Member Rookie
    Posts
    40
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    How many total games has KLaw seen Rosario play at second base? Unless it is more than 20 or so, it is too small a sample to form an opinion. I remember him being in Beloit a grand total of one game this season...
    Who do you propose we should listen to then? I'm sure KLaw has talked to multiple scouts who've seen Rosario play to couple with his own observations. It's not perfect, but it's among the best information sources available to those of us on the outside.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,420
    Like
    63
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    Who do you propose we should listen to then?
    I think a crystal ball would be the answer. Since I own a few of them - I'll brief you on how to use it. All you have to do is burn some sage, put on some comfy clothes, meditate for around 10 minutes, make sure the insides of your hands are warm - not cold and clammy and vigorously rub the crystal ball with your hands (palms down). After a minute or so the answers to the questions that are filling your mind will appear within an illuminated crimson haze inside the crystal ball. Trust me it works. My crystal ball bestowed unto me the knowledge that Rosario will stay at 2nd base and will become more than serviceable at that position. I hope this helps!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Posts
    550
    Like
    16
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    How many total games has KLaw seen Rosario play at second base? Unless it is more than 20 or so, it is too small a sample to form an opinion. I remember him being in Beloit a grand total of one game this season...
    Who do you propose we should listen to then? I'm sure KLaw has talked to multiple scouts who've seen Rosario play to couple with his own observations. It's not perfect, but it's among the best information sources available to those of us on the outside.
    I agree, from what I recall he has often mentioned that he talks to other scouts as well. He generally states when his opinion is based on what other scouts say versus what he has seen. Mostly his opinions are based on what he has seen because he is VERY confident in his judgment. He admits he comes off very snarky, but that is why I enjoy his chats.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    How many total games has KLaw seen Rosario play at second base? Unless it is more than 20 or so, it is too small a sample to form an opinion. I remember him being in Beloit a grand total of one game this season...
    Who do you propose we should listen to then? I'm sure KLaw has talked to multiple scouts who've seen Rosario play to couple with his own observations. It's not perfect, but it's among the best information sources available to those of us on the outside.
    I agree, from what I recall he has often mentioned that he talks to other scouts as well. He generally states when his opinion is based on what other scouts say versus what he has seen. Mostly his opinions are based on what he has seen because he is VERY confident in his judgment. He admits he comes off very snarky, but that is why I enjoy his chats.
    Agreed love his chats. But probably would never like to work with him.He definitely is one of the best scouts out there.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,159
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    How many total games has KLaw seen Rosario play at second base? Unless it is more than 20 or so, it is too small a sample to form an opinion. I remember him being in Beloit a grand total of one game this season...
    Who do you propose we should listen to then? I'm sure KLaw has talked to multiple scouts who've seen Rosario play to couple with his own observations. It's not perfect, but it's among the best information sources available to those of us on the outside.
    I'd say Paul Molitor and the other instructors who are refining the defensive skills of these players. Rosario's offense is ahead of the playing level he is currently at. Although we (I) rip the Twins at times for slow development, I can't see the club holding a talented offensive player back a level or two to develop his defensive skills if they think it is futile.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    378
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Klaw is snarky and uppity, but that is part of his schtick. He is very confident in his opinions, and is not afraid to say so. He is a refreshing change in the vanilla sportswriting biz.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    556
    Like
    4
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    In his latest chat, he says Hicks and Arcia aren't ready for the majors to start this season and that he figures Rosario will end up in CF.

    He's also a Max Kepler believer. Doesn't think he'll be a star but will be an every day player.
    I've heard him use the term "above average regular" a few times when talking about Kepler. Another thing he mentions in the chat about Kepler is how he is hopeful that he succeeds because it could further promote the sport in his home country. I totally agree...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.