Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think that is it about time that the Twins moved out of Rochester

I've always thought that Rochester was too far away geographically, and would love to see them move closer. I'd bet Duluth could handle a AAA team. This summer I'll be heading to Rochester for the first time so I'll reserve my judgement on the city til then, but it's a shame the closest minor league affiliate we have now is a 7-8 hour drive away.

Would Sioux Falls work? They already have a team that plays in the Northern league or whatever it is called now so they might be happy with what they got.

Jeff

I've been to Rochester a couple of times to visit friends. It is a larger place than you might think. In the 'metro area' there are over a million people. MN doesn't have anything like that outside of MSP.

If there is to be a change I could see clubs swapping cities. I know Buffalo, NY swapped Indians for Mets starting in 2009. That seems to happen all the time, you just have to see what other club has a contract up at the same time as the Twins. I have tried to look for this online for a couple of cities but can't seem to find the info.

Rochester isn't a bad city, I think when the product on the field is bad it makes it hard to get the family together to go watch that. Like the St Paul Saints. The stadium is pretty nice and they had a fun atmosphere when I was at a game there last summer.

The city is also a little depressed due to Kodak's troubles. But they have other large employers and universities. The city should be able to support a club.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Dare I say this, but how about a team in Madison, WI? It'd be close enough to the Twin Cities, and is big enough to support a team. They already have a team in the Northwoods league, so something would have to be worked out there as well. Just a random thought.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Wow a LOT of misconceptions here.

I've been living in Rochester for the last few years attending graduate school here. So I'm sure I have a better handle on the city than any of the previous commenters.

Ok, so it's not nearly as great as Minneapolis/St. Paul (though not many places are). I'm not going to say I love it, but it's really not that bad. It's certainly has gone through a decline, which actually started a while ago. It was once one of America's richest cities per capita when George Eastman was still around and Eastman-Kodak was one of the most innovative companies in the world. It was hit hard by the shift to global manufacturing and also Kodak's bungling of the switch to digital photo technology. The city is still a shell of what it used to be, but it actually fared well through the last recession, better than any other city in New York state. This is in part due to the investments in higher education made a long time ago by Eastman, and the history as a technology center, which has led to a reasonable number of small tech start-ups often founded by ex Kodak, Xerox, and Bausch & Lomb employees. If anything it's getting better now.

As with any city that has gone through industrial decline, there are certainly some troubled spots. But I certainly wouldn't classify it as a dump. I don't plan on staying here after grad school, but it hasn't been terrible living here. And with a million people in the metro area, it's not a booming city but there aren't many bigger markets for a AAA team out there. Certainly not Rochester, MN or Duluth.

The Red Wings' franchise has gone through a number of affiliation changes, but has been in Rochester for over a hundred years, giving it one of the longest histories in any one city of any franchise at any level. This, I think, is a point of pride for some fans of the team, who actually care more about the team than who they are affiliated with. With what the Twins have given the team over the last couple years it's no surprise that some fans would be a bit antsy. But I think it's a good affiliation for the Twins to have, and just going by feel I'd say I probably see about as much Twins paraphernalia around the city as I do Yankees gear, which is unexpected in any city in New York where the Yankees have such a huge fan base. So I have to think that being a Twins affiliate makes at least some difference. I'd have to think that if anything, the Rochester ownership would dump the Twins affiliation for another team before the Twins chose another affiliate. But the franchise certainly won't go anywhere, and I at least hope it keeps its affiliation with the Twins a little longer so I can see the Twins' prospects come through while I'm here.

2wins87, thanks for bringing a dose of reality - you were able to bring up a lot of points I was not able to articulate when I read the thread just after waking up this morning.

I certainly agree with your point about a large market - over a million in a team's market is great. Central NY decidedly Yankee territory in my opinion (I spent 4 years at school in Ithaca, NY - 90 miles from ROC).

One quibble - according to wiki "The Red Wings were an affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals for 32 years (1929–1960), then spent 42 years (1961–2002) as a farm club of the Baltimore Orioles before moving on to the Twins in 2003." I would not say this is "a number of affiliation changes" - certainly not recently.

Do we think the franchise would give up the Twins after only 10 years?

One additional point to think of when we are considering other potential cities - Delta has multiple flights between MSP and ROC (usually with a layover in Detroit), that has to be worth something to have players just a short flight away.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Dare I say this, but how about a team in Madison, WI? It'd be close enough to the Twin Cities, and is big enough to support a team. They already have a team in the Northwoods league, so something would have to be worked out there as well. Just a random thought.
    There was a thought of Moving Beloit to Madison in the early 2000's but because Beloit, like the Packers are a community ran team, the vote to move Beloit was shut down at the first town hall meeting about it. The Midwest league offices are in Beloit as well, so that would screw everything up. Most of the Madison people just come down to Beloit anyways is only an hour drive. The funding for Beloit's new stadium is getting closer. George Spelius has said at Beloit games that he won't be satisfied as a commisioner, and a part owner of the Beloit Snappers until Beloit gets a new stadium.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

This discussion reminds me of a recent Randball blog.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/137976943.html

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjcampbell View Post
    One quibble - according to wiki "The Red Wings were an affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals for 32 years (1929–1960), then spent 42 years (1961–2002) as a farm club of the Baltimore Orioles before moving on to the Twins in 2003." I would not say this is "a number of affiliation changes" - certainly not recently.

In my defense, the last time I checked, two was still a number. But yeah, I was going off memory and thought there was another one or two in there. But my point is that the franchise has a long history in it's own right, which makes them a good club to be affiliated with IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjcampbell View Post
    One additional point to think of when we are considering other potential cities - Delta has multiple flights between MSP and ROC (usually with a layover in Detroit), that has to be worth something to have players just a short flight away.
    They also have had at least one direct flight per day for at least the last year. I've gotten one for around $270 which I was quite happy about.

Do you think a city in either North or South Dakota could support a team? I know there are a lot of diehard fans in that region.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by go4phan View Post
    Do you think a city in either North or South Dakota could support a team? I know there are a lot of diehard fans in that region.
    not a chance. Which league would they go in?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    In my defense, the last time I checked, two was still a number.
    Touche

Quote Originally Posted by go4phan View Post
    I think ND and SD would be challenged to find a league to compete in. Eastern IA and Southern WI works because there are other teams to compete with a bus ride away. Additionally, an existing franchise would have to give up their affiliation or move. I don't know if cities try to hold on to minor league teams like they do major league franchises.

This is a decent list and map (wiki).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Unless the Twins paid 100% of a stadium, they aren't going to be moving a minor league team to Minnesota anytime soon. The environment is waaay too toxic right now to ask for any level of gov't help for ANOTHER stadium.

If/When the Twins do move a minor league team closer, I actually think it would make more sense to make a deal with Sioux Falls or Fargo/Moorhead than with the Saints. They'd reach a lot of Twins fans that can't afford to get all the way to Minneapolis often, would be far enough away to not have to fight Target Field for patrons, but close enough that you could road trip out there to see the hot new prospects.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there some way to convince the Pirates to swap (and give them some money or something). I am in Indiana and would love for the Twins AAA team to be playing at Victory Field in Indy, which is a STELLAR ballpark.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbb33 View Post
    I agree with getting out of Rochester! I cant say Ive ever been there personally, but I have talked to a few players and their wives and apparently its a dump of a city. One of the wives told me she didnt even feel safe taking a cab to watch games there. I think the organization should get them out of there if they care enough. Get them somewhere a bit warmer. Players dont hit well in cold temps and dont like playing in cold temps PERIOD!
    last I checked, it gets a bit chilly in the central division sites in the spring and the fall... It's a good experience and something they should learn.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd bring a boat load of fans if the affiliate were to be parked along the Mississippi.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neinstein View Post
    I'd bring a boat load of fans if the affiliate were to be parked along the Mississippi.
    What? That made literally no sense
    Currently there are 3 teams along the Mississippi in the Midwest league right now: Clinton,Burlington,Quad Cities

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    What? That made literally no sense
    Currently there are 3 teams along the Mississippi in the Midwest league right now: Clinton,Burlington,Quad Cities
    Yes, you're correct, but did you read the title of this thread? We are talking about the AAA affiliate.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neinstein View Post
    Yes, you're correct, but did you read the title of this thread? We are talking about the AAA affiliate.
    Yes I did, you just made an errant statement saying that there are no teams on the Mississippi, when in fact there are 3 A ball teams on the Mississippi, and on AAA.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins President Dave St. Peter indicated at an appearance this winter that a possible affiliation with the Saints was something the Twins could be interested in at some point. It was obvious that he and the Twins would not wade in to discussions until after the issue of a new stadium for the Saints was resolved (obviously to avoid the perception that any public financing would be benefiting the Twins, among other reasons). He mentioned how great it would be for Twins fans to have a guy like Sano playing in St. Paul this summer. Veeck and the Twins are smart enough not to enter in to any sort of affiliation agreement prematurely, but I came away with the feeling that there was certainly interest in exploring the possibility once the stadium issue gets worked out one way or another.

The assumption is that they'd put their MWL low-A club in St. Paul, but honestly, there's really no reason to think St. Paul couldn't support a AAA team, outside of possible geographical challenges since St. Paul would be on the extreme edge of either the IL or PCL. They wouldn't be "competing" with the Twins any more than they do now. They attract about 8,000 fans per game already and somehow the Twins have managed to stay in business.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast