Thread: Article: Twins Should Target Trevor Bauer

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Should Target Trevor Bauer

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would offer any one of our prospects straight up for Bauer (Buxton and Berrios not eligable of course). I would not offer 2 top 5's or even a top 5 and a top 10. Perhaps a top 5(not Sano) plus Levi Michael, who despite his unproductive season in Fort Myers, should still have value as a prospect.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    This looks like Garza part II. If he won't listen to Arizona's pitching coaches, why would he listen to ours?

Combination of Hicks/Gibson/Benson

Forgot to add two of those three to the last post.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    The Twins aren't known to be very patient with stubborn pitchers. He insists on using his four seamer up in the zone to strike guys out, while the team wants him to use his 2 seamer low and away. That's not something the Twins generally tolerate.

Plus there's this:
    http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/4/13/29...a-diamondbacks

His insistance on boasing about his K numbers at the expense of control and allowing baserunners, combined with his attention hog antics kind of hint that his primary goal was to score big arbitration/free agent dollars before he ever landed in the big leagues. I'd rather his priorities were better aligned with winning baseball games.

I'd take him, but not at the price AZ would be willing to accept.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I agree with others that his stubbornness might turn off the Twins. That said, if the Twins do really think they can get him working properly, I think they'd have to give up a lot for him. Span/Sano/Goodrum or Sano/Arcia/Kepler would be realistic starting points.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Trevor Plouffe. My guess--he never duplicates that 6 week streak of (bases empty!) HRs ever again. Goodness knows he isn't "all-that" in the field either. A potentially future, dominant pitcher looks better to me than Plouffe.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    He is 21. What kind of maturity are you looking for? And Garza has been effective.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    Already a thread about this.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    He is 21. What kind of maturity are you looking for? And Garza has been effective.
    When asked about whether or not it was crazy for Arizona to want to trade Bauer, KLaw wrote: ' It is crazy and goes back to the D-backs souring on Upton for similar reasons. Bauer is 21. If you're concerned that he's immature, you probably should spend more time around 21-year-old men so that you realize that they're pretty much all immature.

Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    i would offer any one of our prospects straight up for bauer (buxton and berrios not eligable of course). I would not offer 2 top 5's or even a top 5 and a top 10. Perhaps a top 5(not sano) plus levi michael, who despite his unproductive season in fort myers, should still have value as a prospect.
    lol Bauer is a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, you aren't going to get him for a mid 50's guy and Levi Michael who has very little trade value.

The cost for Bauer starts at Sano+

Or potentially 2 of Hicks/Arcia/Rosario

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Trevor Plouffe. My guess--he never duplicates that 6 week streak of (bases empty!) HRs ever again. Goodness knows he isn't "all-that" in the field either. A potentially future, dominant pitcher looks better to me than Plouffe.
    What about Trevor Plouffe? Are you implying trading him for Bauer straight up???

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If TD participants have knowledge of Bauer being a head case, wouldn't the MLB community be aware of this also. It seems like it would be in Arizona's best interest to hold on to him and try to fix the mess in his noggin. With the information being shared on this thread, why would any organization trade their top notch prospects to AZ for Bauer.... this smells like a buy low situation.
    Last edited by Bark's Lounge; 11-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    If TD participants have knowledge of Bauer being a head case, wouldn't the MLB community be aware of this also. It seems like it would be in Arizona's best interest to hold on to him and try to fix the mess in his noggin. With the information being shared on this thread, why would any organization trade their top notch prospects to AZ for Bauer.... this smells like a sell low situation.
    We knew that Delmon was a head case when we acquired him. There are always teams that think they can straighten the guy out. didn't work so well for us in Delmon's case.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    If TD participants have knowledge of Bauer being a head case, wouldn't the MLB community be aware of this also. It seems like it would be in Arizona's best interest to hold on to him and try to fix the mess in his noggin. With the information being shared on this thread, why would any organization trade their top notch prospects to AZ for Bauer.... this smells like a sell low situation.
    Where there is smoke there is usually fire. It would be tough situation where your ace is intent on pitching his way, training his way and is not receptive to taking advise from coaches and other advisers in the organization.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Where there is smoke there is usually fire. It would be tough situation where your ace is intent on pitching his way, training his way and is not receptive to taking advise from coaches and other advisers in the organization.
    Unless you could get him for a case of Miller High Life and some Banana flavored Laffy Taffy - I think I would have to pass.

Yeah, Bauer commands Sano+. No? Then Arizona will take Bauer and easily trade him to a team with good hitting prospects. The Red Sox would easily part with Bogaerts to get Bauer. Cleveland would give up Lindor and anything else Arizona wants. Bauer has the value of a young Curt Schilling, circa 1993. We could get him, but Sano and Rosario would be the return. What they should do is see if Texas will give them Andrus and one of their good prospects like Rogned (sp). Their middle infield could be set for years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    What about Trevor Plouffe? Are you implying trading him for Bauer straight up???
    Yes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    The whole thing smells. Sounds to me like Arizona is worried his arm isn't going to hold up (reading between the lines of course), or maybe just to send him a message. Regardless, you don't trade someone like Bauer because of his pitch selection or a little immaturity. Arizona is either bluffing or sees a torn labrum in his future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast