Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Eyes on Torii

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Eyes on Torii

It would be interesting that's for sure. I guess it all depends on what we do with Morneau/Parmlee and Span/Revere/Willingham on the trade market. Hopefully, Hicks will be read to go.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been thinking about the same thing. If they can get him for a yearly salary near Willingham's, I say go for it. This could give them some flexibility in the trade market. If you trade Willingham, Hunter could take LF. If they trade Morneau, then Parmelle plays 1B.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I can't believe it was 5 years ago already.

As far as signing Hunter, I can't see it. I understand the concept of "bridging" to your prospects, but what is the point of that? We would be better off playing the prospects themselves at rookie minimum and getting them experience, rather than paying an old vet significant money to not change the outcome.

Liked 693 Times in 362 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlhouse View Post
    I can't believe it was 5 years ago already.

As far as signing Hunter, I can't see it. I understand the concept of "bridging" to your prospects, but what is the point of that? We would be better off playing the prospects themselves at rookie minimum and getting them experience, rather than paying an old vet significant money to not change the outcome.
    I agree with you. The Twins have too many promising outfield prospects who would be blocked by Hunter. Also, Hunter will be expensive.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree Torii played to his capabilities during his contract but he was still over paid at 90 million. 60-70 million more like it but thats splittin hairs at it wasn't my money.

But I would like to see Torii and Latroy Hawkins come back next year as Torii can be a borderline Hall of Fame candidate with 3 more seasons and Latroy Hawkins was a favorite of mine.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-12-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: add

An absolutely rogue idea would be to trade Willingham, Span, AND Morneau for pitching. Sign Hunter, Have Parms play first, and let Benson/Arcia/Hicks vie for the last outfield spot this year.

There's about a 1% chance of it happening, I don't think the twins have made that many impact trades in the past 10 years combined. If they could get pitchers who can contribute, it fills a lot of holes and frees up a lot of cash to work with.

This is such a rookie post.

The Twins could POSSIBLY be one or two years away from competing. Unless Torii got zlich in offers elsewhere, and this would basically be his good-bye tour, he'll sign elsewhere. His numbers have been consistent enough that he should find a nice 2-year contract with an option for a third year. The Twins current status of being competitive is what will hurt them. They HAVE TO sign some pitchers, make a decision on Willingham/Span/Revere (quickly) and then continue to fill in the blanks. Until they have someone more worthy than just Diamond pencilled into the rotation, they aren't a prime candidate to attract talent....really. I ask that question again: Why would you want to play for the Twins, today, right now, compared to anywhere else?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Who are the teams that come up when looking for trade partners for Span: Atlanta?

If I'm them I go after Hunter/Cabrera/etc. instead of trading something away.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Torii represents the past--a very fine past, but the past. We can wax nostolgic over his nightly web gems but the Twins need to move to the future. Torrii can help an already playoff team (one with deep pockets), but the Twins aren't in that category.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    What's Hunter's value at this point, two-years at 20-25 million?

Member Single-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everything would have to fall into place. Willingham would have to be desired by another team at the cost of pitching, Span would have to be moved for pitching, and Torii would have to find himself without a more attractive suitor late in the free-agent period. It isn't likely, it's extremely unlikely, but daydreaming about the positive/negative influence he could have on Rever is fun.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Who are the teams that come up when looking for trade partners for Span: Atlanta?

If I'm them I go after Hunter/Cabrera/etc. instead of trading something away.
    Atlanta is interested in Hunter, but they need a CF/leadoff hitter to replace Bourne, that's why there is interest in Span.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by syves View Post
    An absolutely rogue idea would be to trade Willingham, Span, AND Morneau for pitching. Sign Hunter, Have Parms play first, and let Benson/Arcia/Hicks vie for the last outfield spot this year.

There's about a 1% chance of it happening, I don't think the twins have made that many impact trades in the past 10 years combined. If they could get pitchers who can contribute, it fills a lot of holes and frees up a lot of cash to work with.

This is such a rookie post.
    Another rookie agrees with you. I would amend it to keep Span. Trade Willingham and Morneau if you can sign Hunter for 2yrs and between 16 and 18M. Don't do it if he is in the 20-25M range. I like the Revere-Span-Hunter OF with Parmelle at 1B. This gives us a MUCH better defensive OF, allows us to pick up some pitching and possibly clear some money to go after additional FA. As Gleeman would say, there is a non-zero chance of that happening. It's fun to speculate, despite it being VERY unlikely. Also, having Torii around when Hicks and Arcia come up would be great.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Torii? The Twins don't need another outfielder (and old and who broke some bridges when he left)

Now, if the Mets are willing to eat half of Johan's contract for 2013 (his last season), it is a different story...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Torii? The Twins don't need another outfielder (and old and who broke some bridges when he left)

Now, if the Mets are willing to eat half of Johan's contract for 2013 (his last season), it is a different story...
    Forget Toriii. It would make the Twins look like the Angels of old signing washed up veterans only "Please, lover come back!" worse in the shadow of the Dodgers winning championships. If he was a pitcher who could still pitch a la Blyleven in late '86 - it'd be different.

Does not serve any real purpose here. Spend $$$$ on something/someone else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that the Tigers and Rangers are interested in Torii Hunter.

Knobler says the Tigers are "very interested" and view Hunter as "almost a perfect fit in their lineup, in the field and also in the clubhouse." Hunter expects to sign with someone quickly and says his only concern is winning a World Series. Detroit and Texas are certainly fits in that regard. The Braves, Phillies and Red Sox also have interest, while the Yankees and Dodgers are seen as less likely destinations for the 37-year-old outfielder

Sign Hunter??? How does that make the Twins Better???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    Sign Hunter??? How does that make the Twins Better???
    That depends of what you think they could get for Willingham. I would argue that Willingham had a career year and isn't likely to repeat it. If you can get a young middle of the rotation starter for Willingham and sign Hunter to replace him, I say go for it. Hunter's WAR last three years: 2.7, 3.4, 5.5. Willingham's: 2.6, 2.1, 2.9. Hunter doesn't suck in the OF and can still hit. If they can sign Hunter for 8-10M a year, it costs a net of 1-3M a year and potentially gains a pitcher in the process that the Twins don't seem to be willing to sign in FA (at least if the Baker deal is any indication - I know it's early yet). I'll repeat, I don't see this happening in the slightest, but I think it would improve the team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast