Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Scott Baker Signs with Chicago Cubs

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Hey Rocketpig, pretty weak shutting down the other thread, ever since the Twinsdaily transition you seem to have become a bit of a company man. No offense, but you protecting that douche and encouraging that garbage he spews makes this forum worse.
    I know this will probably just make me your next target, but Dave you really need to get over it. Enough with the venom already towards Thrylos. You obviously have a grudge against him, but your ranting doesn't make the forum any better either. Your post in the other thread has to be one of the more mean-spirited ones I've read. Thrylos obviously was wrong and you will probably have the good fortune of not having to read his posts for awhile as he licks his wounds. I suggest that you do what I do when I come across messages from certain posters, just move on by and don't waste your time reading them.

I do not lament losing something we have not had for awhile and we have not anything from Baker for a long, lo.g time. So, to me it is no loss at all. We can not afford to tie up big money with such a risk. Cubs got what they want, Baker got what he wants, and Twins got what they want ... they still have the $$$ to invest more wisely.

Keep Nathan? He did not want to stay. Keep Lariano? He simply was not consistent. It would have been nice to move him at high value, alas his irregular performance would not allow that.

want to trade Span and Morneau, guys who claim they want to be Twins and continue to pay their dues. Yet we expect others like Cuddy, Nathan, and others to stay here. We ought not have a double standard either. How can we expect guyx like Span and
    Last edited by OldManWinter; 11-13-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: obvious error

Sorry About above errors. I gave up editing out obvious mistakes and redundant and incomplete thoughts.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Over/under 8 pages before we lock this thread?

Most of the anger towards thyros is obviously also with baker. I thought tthe post was dumb but i am more pissed it didnt come true. Now we have to go out and find another pitcher via free agency or trade. Y didnt we sign him,? I would have given him 6 mil plus incentives...this winter has barely begun i know, i just hope this isnt a sign of wbat is to come

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post

To dakota:

PS- People might take you more seriously if you at least attempted to follow conventions of the english language. Things such as capitalization, punctuation and grammar count, even on the web.
    Amen
    Last edited by ScottyB; 11-13-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    I do not lament losing something we have not had for awhile and we have not anything from Baker for a long, lo.g time. So, to me it is no loss at all. We can not afford to tie up big money with such a risk. Cubs got what they want, Baker got what he wants, and Twins got what they want ... they still have the $$$ to invest more wisely.

Keep Nathan? He did not want to stay. Keep Lariano? He simply was not consistent. It would have been nice to move him at high value, alas his irregular performance would not allow that.

want to trade Span and Morneau, guys who claim they want to be Twins and continue to pay their dues. Yet we expect others like Cuddy, Nathan, and others to stay here. We ought not have a double standard either. How can we expect guyx like Span and
    This is the issue with all small and mid market teams. If Morneau wants to stay let him sign a reasonable extension in the near future so the Twins have cost certainty with him. I hate to trade Span, but he is in the only area the Twins have excess talent, so you have to give value to get value.
    It looks like the Twins will only have money for 1 FA pitcher at this market price. I also feel that giving a pitcher more than 4 years is a losing strategy unless he is and obvious ace(and the Twins seem not to have the money to sign these). I still hope they sign Marcum at what is looking like about 3 for $30 mil and trade for 2 - 3 other starters. Diffilcult yes,impossible no.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All this over a guy coming back from two major elbow ligament repairs?

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Well, if that insanity included Baker as one of the "good" three starters....
    Missed the point bud. Most of this thread is saying "I can't believe they paid him that!" Welcome to free agency. Hence why the idea of solving this team's pitching woes there was ridiculous from the start.
    Oh, I got the point. But overpaying for damaged goods probably wouldn't be part of any good plan; so while I agree with you generally, I'm not sure the Baker signing is indicative of your point. The Twins could spend money, even overpay, for quality pitching. Will they? Probably not.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    All this over a guy coming back from two major elbow ligament repairs?
    It's the internet. You're not really surprised.

Liked 293 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is an interesting article that speculates that the main reason for the Cubs to acquire Baker is to use him as trade bait, assuming that he pitches well. On reflection, this seems like a pretty good strategy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    My sticking point on Baker's deal isn't the money but rather that it doesn't include any team options. 5.5M for one year is not a big deal for a potentially above average pitcher. I don't expect him to be great this season but I would like to put pieces in place for fixing the rotation for 2014/2015. W/O options then he's gone (or too expensive) if he pitches well.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Rocketpig, pretty weak shutting down the other thread, ever since the Twinsdaily transition you seem to have become a bit of a company man. No offense, but you protecting that douche and encouraging that garbage he spews makes this forum worse.
    Because letting people continue to pile on and viciously insult the guy is somehow conducive to quality discourse? How old are you? Grow up.

Thrylos was wrong, as most of us expected to begin with. That has been established and nobody is making excuses for him. The only thing we're encouraging by locking up that thread is civility.

I see Baker talking to the Twins and the Twins saying something like "$3.5 million with guarantees according to performance for maybe $1.5 million and a $250 buyout option on a $5 million contract for 2014." Like Nathan, take this as the Twins best offer and if someone offers more, grab it. Not a bad offer for Baker. If he does come out of the gate strong, the Cubbies can trade him, too...unless he breaks down like Garza. If he does bad.....well, you could've signed Jason Marquis.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Um, don't be so sanctimonious on PEDs, this organization has had guys suspended, and when TK was told about them being found in the locker room he brushed it under the table, if I recall the story correctly.
    They were found in the visitors locker room. Seattle, IIRC.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    Every organization was blind to PED's in the 90's and early 00's so I don't want to hear that argument on why A organization isn't as good as B organization.
    Organizations may have been blind but some certainly benefited from it more than others. I don't mind steroid use in the NFL b/c I'm pretty confident the Viking players are juicing just as much as the Patriots and Giants players are. But steroid use in baseball wasn't uniform, some teams benefited more than others, either by creating a culture that let their players take steroids or by signing free agent roiders to long term contracts.

Look at the 02-04 Twins. We got bounced twice by the Yanks in those seasons. Our best players were probably Santana, AJ, Dougie Baseball, Radke and Hunter. The Yankees best players were Giambi, Clemens, Pettitte, ARod, Sheffield. One list is a bit different than the other. If you want to ignore the benefit of PEDs in baseball, fine, then that wouldn't alter my original post, Ryan would succeed just fine with Boston's resources.

But if you think PEDs did impact the game then you'd have to calculate into that how much a front office would be willing to accept PED users. Going back to Theo for a moment, the Mitchell report indicated that his baseball people thought Eric Gagne had lost his stuff b/c he wasn't on PEDs anymore. Some emails suggested that Gagne wasn't worth trading for. Theo did anyway, which suggests that the Red Sox FO 1) didn't think PEDs impacted baseball 2) Thought Gagne could succeed without PEDs despite what their own scouts suggested or 3) thought he'd start using PEDs again.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Missed the point bud. Most of this thread is saying "I can't believe they paid him that!" Welcome to free agency. Hence why the idea of solving this team's pitching woes there was ridiculous from the start.
    You're reaching by trying to use this example as proof of anything. Baker is the FIRST pitcher to sign a contract with another team this offseason; it stands to reason he'll get more than people expected because clearly the Cubs were motivated buyers and they wanted to swoop him away from the Twins. That doesn't tell us anything about how the rest of the FA market is going to shake out. There's still a very good chance that many pitchers will end up going for less than expected because there are a lot of guys looking for work and only so much money to go around.

Also, these "people" that believed the Twins were going to sign multiple pitchers from the top tier of the market... who are they? Who exactly are you trying to rebuke? Certainly not the majority.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Because letting people continue to pile on and viciously insult the guy is somehow conducive to quality discourse? How old are you? Grow up.

Thrylos was wrong, as most of us expected to begin with. That has been established and nobody is making excuses for him. The only thing we're encouraging by locking up that thread is civility.
    It would have let up after 24-48 hours and would thus keep him from posting stupid nonsense like that in the future. Personally I think you should ban him, I got a ban after posting a "joke" Liriano post that was clearly a joke, yet you keep a pathological liar around these parts? It weakens the community as a whole to let that crap run wild.

Also, you know how old I am Nick.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Leaving it open wasn't going to accomplish anything other than letting more people pile on the guy. As it stands, the point was made. Thrylos will have to be VERY careful with his next prediction no matter if that thread stayed open or whether it was closed. Everyone here will remember how this "done deal" went down and respond accordingly next time around. Leaving the thread open only encouraged people to start getting nasty and insulting him. It brings nothing new or interesting to the discussion.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Also, these "people" that believed the Twins were going to sign multiple pitchers from the top tier of the market... who are they? Who exactly are you trying to rebuke? Certainly not the majority.
    You mean like the list I posted just a few replies later?

I find it amusing that people are still trying to paint this as a huge overpayment. He got what almost every FA pitcher gets in the first few months of FA - more money than they deserve. Why is this shocking to anyone? The guys that don't get paid are the position players like Doumit and Willingham, most starting pitchers do not fall into that category. So, yes, it should have been expected and it makes all of the posts about how many guys we were going to land with the money we had look ridiculous. And before you half-cock your snippy response again, check the offseason blueprints as a starter.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Oh, I got the point. But overpaying for damaged goods probably wouldn't be part of any good plan; so while I agree with you generally, I'm not sure the Baker signing is indicative of your point. The Twins could spend money, even overpay, for quality pitching. Will they? Probably not.
    They didn't give him 10M. This massive overpayment that everyone is hyperventilating about is nonsense. It's a slight overpayment - EXACTLY what happens in FA! Plus, the other favorites around here - Josh Johnson, Shaun Marcum, Erik Bedard - are in the same boat! None of the pitchers we are likely to sign are going to fall outside of the category of "overpaid" and "damaged goods". So the point still very much stands. This shouldn't be surprising and this should be sobering to those that filled out their offseason blueprints full of 2-3 of these guys. We almost always understate the going rate of starting pitching in the offseason. Most of the predictions around here forgot that and look ridiculous, hopefully this was a reminder of that. Not that it will matter next year, many will do the same thing again.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast