Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marlins are Ridiculous (Johnson, Buehrle, Reyes and more)

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So they are basically the Florida Marlins again. Pretty much the same team without last seasons free agent signings.

The NHL is locked out, so Canada is gunning to take home the title in America's Pastime? Hmmm... So many things smell fishy here....

Liked 1,032 Times in 469 Posts
    This deal would have filled the 1 and 2 slots in the Twins rotation, and put Jose Reyes at SS, all for not much more than taking on salary.

Sounds too good to be true. I'm sure there is some logical reason the Twins couldn't have pulled this off.

Other than, uh, money, I mean.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Hummmm...who would the Twins have traded. Dozier, Blackburn, and what 5-6 prospects. Would a righty and lefty starter, a backup catcher, a shortstop, and a spare infielder have made the Twins more competitive?
    Pitching wise, Buehrle might have been able to teach some of our up and coming pitcher (Scott Diamond) and Josh Johnson is an ace. Either way the money the the Blue Jays are taking on i dont think is worth the trade not at all (For the Twins).

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations to the Argonauts! I must admit - it is a little disappointing Toronto didn't acquire Giancarlo also.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    KLAW was less enamored of the return to Miami, and of course agreed with the general premise that reducing your payroll to essentially zero is impolite to the taxpayers that just built you a stadium, and that they now have zero chance to keep any players they draft and develop, or sign any free agents.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    I can't imagine this working out for the Jays.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Dozier, Deduno, Hendricks > Reyes, Johnson, Buehrle

This is great for Mike Redmond, he gets to manage a naked roster

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    If the Marlins win 50 games he should be Manager of the Year.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    That Buehrle contract is backloaded in a very unappealing way. Other than that though... this sounds like a deal that the commish probably should have blocked as to not have the city of Miami hate baseball forever.

This is just one of those deals that makes you think "What!?! Really!?! No.... this is some sort of joke, right?" At least that was my reaction when I first read about it.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    If the Marlins win 50 games he should be Manager of the Year.
    If they win 60 games does he get a statue in front of the stadium?
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Prospect return is underwhelming. If you're going to torpedo your team for the foreseeable future, gamble hard on higher upside guys. How Loria is still an owner is beyond me, ran the Expos into the ground and is attempting to do the same in Miami.

I like but don't love it for the Jays, the way the contracts are constructed could cause problems down the line, depending on payroll of course, but they acquired a lot of talent while not giving up much prospect wise

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that Ricky Nolasco could be the next Marlin traded.

The Marlins are already poised to dump $40 million in salary for 2013 on the Blue Jays, and if they can find someone to take on Nolasco's contract, it would make sense to go ahead and continue the firesale. The right-hander is due $11.5 million in 2013 after posting a 4.48 ERA and 125/47 K/BB ratio over 191 innings in 2012.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    That trade help both teams. The Marlins don't look that bad and have lots of money to build with. Those 5 players just made the Jays great. Those 5 players would have made the Twins great too. For maybe Carroll, Dozier,Butera, Benson,Blackburn, Swarzak ect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1 CF Denard Span*
    2 ss Reyes
    3 3b Joe Mauer*
    4 LF Josh Willingham
    5 1B Justin Morneau*
    6 c Buck
    7 dh Trevor Plouffe
    8 2B Bonifacio
    9 rf Revere
    1 RHP Johnson
    2 LHP Buehrle
    3 RHP Cole De Vries
    4 LHP Diamond
    5 RHP Hendriks
    Projected Bench
    C Ryan Domitt**
    1B/OF Chris Parmelee* BA#9 BP#15
    IF Eduardo Escobar** BA#11-CWS BP#7-CWS
    OF Darin Mastroianni

If the Marlins got top prospects then it's a good trade for them.

Reyes, Buehrle, and Buck were signed as expensive free agents and Johnson is in his walk year.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    o_rly.jpg
    BYTO R.I.P.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Keith Law:

Those limocolous owners are the greatest joke of all in this deal, rooking Florida taxpayers for a publicly-funded stadium, only to make one half-hearted attempt to fill it with a contending team, surrendering it after the season to return to their old business model, playing a skeleton-crew lineup while pocketing all of their revenue-sharing money. This isn't a bad baseball deal for Miami, but it's not a baseball deal at all -- it's a boondoggle, perpetrated by owners who have pulled one stunt like this after another, with the implicit approval of the Commissioner's Office. It's time for baseball to rid itself of Jeff Loria and David Samson by any means possible. Miami, the state of Florida, and the sport in general will be better off without them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast