Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Should the Twins go after Stephen Drew?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Should the Twins go after Stephen Drew?

    I know Stephen Drew had a down year last year coming off major surgery. He did look pretty good towards the end of the A's season. I think he can regain some of the skills that made him one of the best Shortstops in the league while he was with the Diamondbacks. Anyone else think that the Twins should go after him? I think they should.

  2. #2
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,189
    Like
    350
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    yes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,457
    Like
    64
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    30
    He will be 30 next year. Defensive metrics have never been great and were poor last year. He may not be able to stay at SS too much longer. I would pass.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A Danchat's Avatar
    Posts
    423
    Like
    136
    Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Forget that he's 30. I'd take him if we could get him without breaking the bank.
    We can't have our cake and eat it too. Drew could play SS for 3 years.

  5. #5
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,636
    Like
    4,542
    Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    The D-backs are desperately looking for a SS right now. They had Drew and basically gave him to the A's... The A's apparently are not going to re sign him for the money hes asking.... If that isn't a neon sign hanging over his head I'm not sure what is.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    The D-backs are desperately looking for a SS right now. They had Drew and basically gave him to the A's... The A's apparently are not going to re sign him for the money hes asking.... If that isn't a neon sign hanging over his head I'm not sure what is.
    True but the A's also....until last year do not spend money, so it doesnt raise to many flags for me. Why not? He is better the Florimon, Escobar or Carrol. He made some great plays defensively towards the end of the season. He didnt get fully healthy until September and thats when he started to turn it on somewhat.

  7. #7
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,636
    Like
    4,542
    Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    The D-backs are desperately looking for a SS right now. They had Drew and basically gave him to the A's... The A's apparently are not going to re sign him for the money hes asking.... If that isn't a neon sign hanging over his head I'm not sure what is.
    True but the A's also....until last year do not spend money, so it doesnt raise to many flags for me. Why not? He is better the Florimon, Escobar or Carrol. He made some great plays defensively towards the end of the season. He didnt get fully healthy until September and thats when he started to turn it on somewhat.
    the guy has skill... My god he was a triples machine for a good long stretch and he could be there again... Reports are that he's a clubhouse problem. I don't have any first hand knowledge but if true... He won't last long with Gardenhire. Gardy doesn't tolerate clubhouse problems and they end up being traded for next to nothing like Delmon Young. You can do well with a clubhouse problem if you are loaded and winning.... A team like the Twins who are not loaded nor winning... A clubhouse problem will kill you because clubhouse problems are the first guys to play like they don't care when things are not going well. You are better off with a guy who hits less but gives it all he has.

  8. #8
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,460
    Like
    3,429
    Liked 2,935 Times in 1,253 Posts
    How exactly is it that if you're a bad team--you're not loaded nor winning--a "clubhouse problem" kills you? You were a bad team before the guy got there, right?

  9. #9
    Absolutely.....the alternative is Pedro Florimon, a guy 31 other teams passed on within the past year.
    Stephen Drew is a legit major leaguer and will be the best Twins SS since Greg Gagne.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,723
    Like
    1,554
    Liked 1,572 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    How exactly is it that if you're a bad team--you're not loaded nor winning--a "clubhouse problem" kills you? You were a bad team before the guy got there, right?
    Agreed. And maybe the clubhouse problem will not be Drew killing the team, but Gardenhire killing Drew, or the other way around. Either way, the board will have something to talk about instead of how to avoid 100 losses and which five 2014 free agents will lead us to the promised land...

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    783
    Like
    14
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I have been in favor of getting Drew for a long time. It will give us a chance for filling the middle infield without breaking the bank. He could be good again, do not know what he wants, but a 2 - 3 year contract at a reasonable rate would not hurt If it does not work ou, you may be able to flip him at the deadlinte. This is only money, no players required.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,079
    Like
    132
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    Holy crap. Is 30 that old? If so, I'm pretty much screwed, because I haven't even reached AA yet.

    Seriously though, if the cost is reasonable, I'd be into it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,247
    Like
    261
    Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Absolutely.....the alternative is Pedro Florimon, a guy 31 other teams passed on within the past year.
    Stephen Drew is a legit major leaguer and will be the best Twins SS since Greg Gagne.
    Not to change the subject, but I think you're mistaken about Florimon being passed on by 31 other teams. He played for the Orioles previously, and he was placed on waivers last off season. I'm pretty sure that the Twins had the first shot at a waiver claim to him last year because of their horrible record in 2011 and he was placed on waivers by another AL team. So the reality is, he was passed up by zero teams before the Twins claimed him.

    As for Drew, if he were willing to sign for cheap, it might be an interesting pickup. If he's still around in February, then I'd start asking him what it would take. Right now, I'd be putting on the blinders and only looking at pitching. As bad as the middle infield has been for the Twins recently, the pitching has been far worse (I know, it has been said before and we all already know it). I think you just have to stay focused on the pitching right now. Drew is one of those "nice to have if he's healthy" kind of guys that we should be looking at a little later in the off season.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  14. #14
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,636
    Like
    4,542
    Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    How exactly is it that if you're a bad team--you're not loaded nor winning--a "clubhouse problem" kills you? You were a bad team before the guy got there, right?
    First off... I'm not a Stephen Drew expert... Not trying to pretend to be... Just read some stuff on him... 2nd hand info... Saw that he was given away and put two and two together and my gut says that the stuff I've read must have some truth because he was given away and the D-Backs need a SS and rumors have them shopping for one big time. I could be completely off base because how could I really know and I don't like defaming someone without direct knowledge because some may read this and also believe the guy is an ass. He might not be.

    I read reports of his attitude coming out of college. I've read reports of being soft and tantrums. Last year the owner called him out saying he should have been back from his injury already. Accused him of not being a team player.

    I realize that Drew had a hefty option and Boras as an agent... I also realize that he was hitting worse than Florimon but SS is a weak position overall... The guy had some decent numbers prior... There are teams that need a SS... He's fairly young... he could rebound back... Why would this guy be given away.


    With that disclaimer... If what I've read is true or half true. My answer to your question is this: Because you want to get better!!!



    If you bring a guy in who gets frustrated... Pouts... Points fingers... He will kill you... Guys like this feed on the negative and make it more negative and the Twins have negative to feed off. The two foot hole becomes a three foot hole. It simply isn't the way back.


    It's not just baseball... It's any work environment... You have all worked with someone like this... Maybe you are this guy... You watch them bash everything... Get pissed off because someone else didn't support his idea or looked at him funny. First thing that doesn't go right... They say I told you so and are almost joyful in being right. They refuse to put in extra time because the Mickey Mouse outfit doesn't appreciate them. I've seen this type many times... There may be a few posting on this site... If things are going well... They have less to complain about... The minute it isn't... they make it worse.


    I have no idea if Drew is this guy... Just worried he could be and if he is... He's the last guy you bring to a losing team to make the team better. Too much ammo to work with. So the answer is... Because you want to get better and you need people who will believe you can... even when it looks like you might not.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 11-14-2012 at 01:31 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Im pretty Joe Mauer could teach him how to be "Minnesota Nice"

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,460
    Like
    3,429
    Liked 2,935 Times in 1,253 Posts
    Fair enough Riverbrian.

    I watched Drew in AAA almost every day and never saw any of that, and I live here in Arizona so I follow the Dbacks to a certain extent. I don't think Drew is who you think he is, but I understand your point in general.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Fair enough Riverbrian.

    I watched Drew in AAA almost every day and never saw any of that, and I live here in Arizona so I follow the Dbacks to a certain extent. I don't think Drew is who you think he is, but I understand your point in general.
    Thank you ASAFCHIEF, now we just need to go after this guy!

  18. #18
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,636
    Like
    4,542
    Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Fair enough Riverbrian.

    I watched Drew in AAA almost every day and never saw any of that, and I live here in Arizona so I follow the Dbacks to a certain extent. I don't think Drew is who you think he is, but I understand your point in general.
    It's an odd thing... One basic baseball assumption that I make and is usually a good indicator are Triples. A triples leader is a guy who puts it out there. Right... Drew has had his fair amount of triples... You see many players pull up at 2B... If I guy is collecting triples... That's a gamer... I think that's a fair assumption to make. Drew was a guy who would rack up the three baggers in years past... That's tells me he's a gamer... Yet I read all this conflicting stuff on attitude and I have no idea the source of the it. Could be some yahoo writer who saw the guy leave a bad tip at a restaurant or someone who was refused an interview.

    In the end... I'm just cautious joining the Drew to Minnesota club because of the owners comments this summer ande the way he was nudged out of town and he has been struggling and not totally Stephen Drew like offensively of late. We don't need another Delmon Young in Minnesota at this time. Attitude is the way back. Scratch that... Pitching is the way back... but attitude will be very important... Besides Gardy will end up running him out of town eventually with any attitude problems and probably for very little in return.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Fair enough Riverbrian.

    I watched Drew in AAA almost every day and never saw any of that, and I live here in Arizona so I follow the Dbacks to a certain extent. I don't think Drew is who you think he is, but I understand your point in general.
    It's an odd thing... One basic baseball assumption that I make and is usually a good indicator are Triples. A triples leader is a guy who puts it out there. Right... Drew has had his fair amount of triples... You see many players pull up at 2B... If I guy is collecting triples... That's a gamer... I think that's a fair assumption to make. Drew was a guy who would rack up the three baggers in years past... That's tells me he's a gamer... Yet I read all this conflicting stuff on attitude and I have no idea the source of the it. Could be some yahoo writer who saw the guy leave a bad tip at a restaurant or someone who was refused an interview.

    In the end... I'm just cautious joining the Drew to Minnesota club because of the owners comments this summer ande the way he was nudged out of town and he has been struggling and not totally Stephen Drew like offensively of late. We don't need another Delmon Young in Minnesota at this time. Attitude is the way back. Scratch that... Pitching is the way back... but attitude will be very important... Besides Gardy will end up running him out of town eventually with any attitude problems and probably for very little in return.
    We saw the same thing happen with Orlando Hudson, but whats wrong with him being a stop gap for a year just like Hudson was? He is worth the gamble. He is better than anything we have right now, and I say go after him.

  20. #20
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,636
    Like
    4,542
    Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Fair enough Riverbrian.

    I watched Drew in AAA almost every day and never saw any of that, and I live here in Arizona so I follow the Dbacks to a certain extent. I don't think Drew is who you think he is, but I understand your point in general.
    It's an odd thing... One basic baseball assumption that I make and is usually a good indicator are Triples. A triples leader is a guy who puts it out there. Right... Drew has had his fair amount of triples... You see many players pull up at 2B... If I guy is collecting triples... That's a gamer... I think that's a fair assumption to make. Drew was a guy who would rack up the three baggers in years past... That's tells me he's a gamer... Yet I read all this conflicting stuff on attitude and I have no idea the source of the it. Could be some yahoo writer who saw the guy leave a bad tip at a restaurant or someone who was refused an interview.

    In the end... I'm just cautious joining the Drew to Minnesota club because of the owners comments this summer ande the way he was nudged out of town and he has been struggling and not totally Stephen Drew like offensively of late. We don't need another Delmon Young in Minnesota at this time. Attitude is the way back. Scratch that... Pitching is the way back... but attitude will be very important... Besides Gardy will end up running him out of town eventually with any attitude problems and probably for very little in return.
    We saw the same thing happen with Orlando Hudson, but whats wrong with him being a stop gap for a year just like Hudson was? He is worth the gamble. He is better than anything we have right now, and I say go after him.
    Attitude.. Clubhouse... Like I said the Twins Need a Little Johnny Sunshine... Salary... If signing a SS takes up any revenue that could be spent on pitching... I personally believe it would a mis-allocation of funds.

    I'm praying that TR has a solid plan and is in the midst of putting it together. Maybe a SS is part of that plan right now... Maybe he believes in the current Shortstops on the roster... I'm not sure... I'm a broken record though... Pitching... Pitching... Pitching... It's Mid-November and we have Scott Diamond and it worries the Alfred E. Nueman out of me. Any positive non-pitching acquistion will be wasted quickly by a pitching staff that is getting punched in the face every night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.