Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torii Hunter signs 2 year deal with Detroit

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Torii Hunter signs 2 year deal with Detroit

We are going to see a lot of him now, but not back in a Twins uniform.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Source, that I've seen, is Ken Rosenthal...

Must be nice to have a owner that is willing to spend money to win. While the Twins wait it out and hope to find bargains in the pitching department.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of seeing the downside of his career up close, in the division. That said, with the Tigers pitching staff, and their lineup which next year will bring back Victor Martinez and bring in Torii Hunter. They may have a nice run left in them!

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two takes....

1. Lord, is it ever going to end with Ilitch? They were at $133M last year, which was a top 5 payroll. I don't think they're losing any really big deals, and now they replace Delmon with Hunter?

2. Does the insane interest in Hunter so far this offseason mean that there is a tremendous market for trading Willingham? Other than Hunter, the only pretty big free agent bats out there are Hamilton (crazy expensive) and Swisher (probably gets a four year deal.) If I'm a GM looking to add some power to my OF, doesn't Willlingham's 2-year, $14M deal look crazy good right now?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Great move by the Tigers. Improvement in defense, potent lineup and probably more importantly I think he will be a great veteran influence in the clubhouse.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Detroit is gonna be a handful next year. It's scary to think that they are going to be deep enough to handle some prolonged slumps. Imagine having Torii Hunter as a back up luxury. It must be nice.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a mighty upgrade from Delmon "Im to fat to have a good OBP" Young. Replacing Young with Hunter is a very good deal for the Tigers.

John Bonnes- The Tigers Owner is getting old. I dont know if you saw him after the ALCS, but this guy looks like he could croak at any time. He wants to see a World Series team desperately.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Source, that I've seen, is Ken Rosenthal...
    Jerry Crasnick as well

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Two takes....

1. Lord, is it ever going to end with Ilitch? They were at $133M last year, which was a top 5 payroll. I don't think they're losing any really big deals, and now they replace Delmon with Hunter?

2. Does the insane interest in Hunter so far this offseason mean that there is a tremendous market for trading Willingham? Other than Hunter, the only pretty big free agent bats out there are Hamilton (crazy expensive) and Swisher (probably gets a four year deal.) If I'm a GM looking to add some power to my OF, doesn't Willlingham's 2-year, $14M deal look crazy good right now?

I used to think that trading Willingham was a good idea, now I am not so sure. Detroit is going to own this division for a few more years and slap hitters are not going to beat them regularly. I like a good OBP but we need the power Josh provides.

A world series team that just got better! Reminder to Twins fans we have the ability to sign anybody we want there is no salary cap in baseball there is just the Pohlad cap.

If were not going to go out and get some quality starting pitching than why keep willingham? Why not trade him for some decent prospects? Same with Morneau see if we can get some decent prospects? I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2 year 26 million dollar deal. Wholly cow, not a signifcant drop off of pay from his Angel Contract.

Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    2 year 26 million dollar deal. Wholly cow, not a signifcant drop off of pay from his Angel Contract.
    Yes, and some people on this board thought he was worth $4 - $6 Million a year.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's absurd. Hunter posted a 5.5 WAR last season after falling to a WAR of ~3 (give or take half a point) in the previous two seasons. Given his age and ever-decreasing range, I think it's almost a given that he will not repeat his 2012 numbers with the Tigers.

Still, kudos to Ilitch for not giving up on that quest for a ring. When you're that old and that rich, who gives a damn how much you spend?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by COtwin View Post
    Two takes....

I used to think that trading Willingham was a good idea, now I am not so sure. Detroit is going to own this division for a few more years and slap hitters are not going to beat them regularly. I like a good OBP but we need the power Josh provides.
    If this move doesn't cement that the Twins should build for 2014 and 2015, I don't know what else would convince Twins fans...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by COtwin View Post
    Two takes....

If this move doesn't cement that the Twins should build for 2014 and 2015, I don't know what else would convince Twins fans...
    Really Seth?
    Torii Hunter? - he of 37 years old, declining range and 16 homers has pushed you over the edge into throwing in the towel for next year? I usually am on the same page as your takes but I don't get this one. Delmon is likely to put up better offensive numbers next year (we won't go there on defense). At $13 mil per, they can have him. There is a better than even chance that one or both of the years is a complete waste either due to injury or just plain old losing the skills due to age.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Torii is a great upgrade. V-mart will get most of his at bats as a DH. That leaves no room for Delmon. Tori will get his AB's in the outfield. I would think they could play him in both left and right. In either spot he will probably be a better defensive player than we will put out there with Parmelee and Willingham.

I wonder if the Hammer and Morny will have more trade value at the deadline next year or right now? I think we can pencil in the Tigers for a few years at the top of the central. We need to start trading for pitching with an eye on 2014 and beyond.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Torii is a great upgrade. V-mart will get most of his at bats as a DH. That leaves no room for Delmon. Tori will get his AB's in the outfield. I would think they could play him in both left and right. In either spot he will probably be a better defensive player than we will put out there with Parmelee and Willingham.

I wonder if the Hammer and Morny will have more trade value at the deadline next year or right now? I think we can pencil in the Tigers for a few years at the top of the central. We need to start trading for pitching with an eye on 2014 and beyond.
    I'm a Torii fan but the fact is he is no longer an elite player - too many people are basing this on what they remember about Torii, not what he will be next year as a 38 year old. He's clearly an upgrade over Delmon in the field - at the plate it will be a wash. This improves the Tigers but this simply is not a signing that makes your opponents completely change course.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hunter had an .817 OPS last year with a .389 BABIP. Gross.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    That's absurd. Hunter posted a 5.5 WAR last season after falling to a WAR of ~3 (give or take half a point) in the previous two seasons. Given his age and ever-decreasing range, I think it's almost a given that he will not repeat his 2012 numbers with the Tigers.

Still, kudos to Ilitch for not giving up on that quest for a ring. When you're that old and that rich, who gives a damn how much you spend?
    Must have been nice to hit behind Trout...and in front of Pujols. Maybe that was part of it? Now he gets to hit behind AJax and in front of Cabrera...not all that bad either...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast