Thread: What if the Marlins are Brilliant?

What if the Marlins are Brilliant?

I know there's another thread discussion how the Marlins may be employing an unorthodox strategy that could still result in economic profit, but I'm wondering if this unorthodox strategy could be part of a long-term plan for winning in cycles. Isn't this a reasonable plan?(it's a cycle, so step 1 = step 5):

1. Win the World Series (or at least be really good)
    2. Trade anyone making any money for top prospects
    3. Wait a couple years for the top propects (and other drafted prospects) to form a solid core
    4. Supplement the solid core by signing some top dollar free agents
    5. Win the World Series (or at least be really good)

It seems to me that what I've outlined is really a simplified rebuilding strategy that any smaller market team follows, but the Marlins are just more extreme, expecially in steps 2 and 4. There's pretty much no chance of stringing together division championships like the Twins did in the 00s, but it does give you a real shot at the World Series every five years or so.

I recognize the Marlins just did step 2 without doing step1, but you've got to expect that the cycle won't always work.

They probably were too eager with the new stadium and tried step 4 without a solid core. They have good young talent, but beyond Stanton, most of that talent was undeveloped or not quite good enough. If they had waited to make a big splash this year, maybe it would be a slightly different story?
    Their two World Series Runs definitely fit that model, they just didn't wait long enough (or draft/develop a strong enough core) this time.

Edited to add:
    I should also say that this model really is hard on fans. It is a hard sell, regardless of how well it works, to dump all the familiar faces on a Championship team for prospects.
    Last edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me; 11-15-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    The Marlins got rid of a bunch of ****ty contracts and a guy who was one year away from free agency, its only a good move though if they actually spend that saved money on other assets.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I'd buy it more if they actually got top prospects. Had D'arnaud and/or Syndergaard been included I'd buy it, but I don't think that package they got back was too impressive considering.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Stanton is pissed off that's for sure

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The A's Model of running a franchise... Yeah I can see it... But then again... I can't... The Marlins went out and spent to debut the new stadium... They were hoping the team would contend and excitement would follow and jersey's, ticket sales and the whole nine yards.

It all went terribly wrong... Ozzie aligned himself in the Castro admiration society and that was just the beginning. Heath Bell couldn't close a game... Stanton couldn't stay healthy... Hanley was his same old Hanley self... Josh Johnson never really came back to full power. Bonofacio, Morrison... nobody could stay healthy...

They tried for a little bit... Acquired Carlos Lee... But do to impatience... They over reacted. There would have been no harm in running that lineup out again in 2013 and seeing if things go better.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It will be interesting to see if the players sent to Toronto have better seasons in the Great White North

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    I don't know what to think about the Marlins -- primarily because of their ownership.

But I do wonder if constructing a winning franchise is like constructing a building. The foundation has to be solid or all the embellishments and frou-frou you add later doesn't matter.

What if the Marlins saw that their core group of players was never going to be the basis for a championship? Weren't they then correct in tearing out that foundation and starting over?

I've wondered the same about the Twins since the 2010 post-season. Was the foundation solid enough that all they needed to add was embellishments? Was it fairly solid but just needed some shoring up? Or was it so shaky that it needed to be ripped out and rebuilt?

I've been depressed about this team since October 2010 because I feel like they need to be doing something fundamentally (or foundationally) different in constructing this team if they were ever again to have post-season success. Instead, in 2011 all I saw them try to do was add a few (not many) embellishments. And this year I felt like all they were doing was putting on some braces.

I wonder if the Twins can ever construct a winning edifice unless they rip out the foundation and start over? By that, I mean less about the actual players they have and more about some of the philosophical underpinnings of the organization (e.g. their approach to pitching, their use of statistical analysis, their adherence to the 50% policy on salary, etc.)

Is it possible to remake those policies to strengthen the foundation while still adding frou-frou to the top of the structure? Or do you have to be prepared to topple the structure and rebuild that foundation from the ground up? In a way, I've thought that was a bit what Terry Ryan and TK did in the early 2000's -- my understanding is that they came up with a plan wherein they instituted and coordinated a plan across the layers of the organization. But maybe that plan is now shaky and they need to rip it up and create a new one from the ground up?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I really don't understand how the Marlins are brilliant. They made several awful moves last year and this year they gutted their team. The only thing that is brilliant is that they could make some serious money this year due to having an incredibly low payroll. Probably <20 if they trade Nolasco.