Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Jays Sign Melky Cabrera

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post

The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.
    (Shakes head) I was with ya until the end... lol.
    yeah, it's pretty awesome looking at Dozier, Floriman and Carroll in the MI next year. There are a couple of guys that I like better than Yunel but he's a decent ballplayer.
    Last edited by kab21; 11-17-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post

The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.
    (Shakes head) I was with ya until the end... lol.
    yeah, it's pretty awesome looking at Dozier, Floriman and Carroll in the MI next year. There are a couple of guys that I like better than Yunel but he's a decent ballplayer.
    OK... I really have nothing to worry about here. I'm willing to bet Terry Ryan won't be trading for Yunel. Because...

A. He has a limited budget to work with and larger holes to address.

B. Terry Ryan has stated many many times "there is a right way to play baseball".

C. He knows that Gardenhire would be calling him twice a week to get rid of him if he continues to play and act like he has in the past and when the Twins move him again for that reason. Everyone will know why and he won't be able to get Jim Hoey in return.

D. I'm don't know for sure but I believe Terry Ryan understands that the Twins could acquire Tulo, Cano and Hamilton and it would juice up the base but the ball club would still lose with the current pitching staff and the juiced up base would only be temporary. Because winning does build chemistry as Brock said and winning is the only thing that will keep your base juiced up.

E. I think most baseball people are aware that Brandon Crawford didn't sink the Giants... Daniel Descalso hit .227 and the Cards were this close and Descalso almost won the thing single handedly. The Dodgers were 53-46 and 2.5 games back in the NL West the day they traded for Hanley followed by the acquisition of League, Victorino, Blanton, Gonzalez, Beckett, and Crawford. Which led them to 33 and 30 the rest of the way and deeper in the hole finishing 8 games back. The Boston Red Sox clubhouse discontented themselves to last place. The Angels spent a ton of money and were golfing in October. The Phillies were 46-57 on July 31st (the Day they Traded Pence to the Giants and Victorino to the Dodgers). They went on to finish 35-24 without Pence while the Giants went 38 and 21 with Pence. The Royals Traded Broxton to the Reds after going 42-60 and improved to .500 ball (30-30) after the trade. The Milwaukee Brewers were 45-54 when they traded Zach Greinke... They went 38-25 after the trade. The Padres didn't do a thing and played 32-24 ball in August and September after playing crapppy in April, May, June and July. The Baltimore Orioles and Oakland A's had holes in their lineup and more than one hole. Baseball people also know that there are similiar stories in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 all the way to 1869.

I'm not going to pretend to know what any of that means... But I do believe... Don't get wrapped up in 1 extra hit a week or convince yourself that you are a shrewd baseball roster putter-togetherer by noticing a .100 point OPS difference in comparison of shortstops and saying Eureka! Especially when countless baseball players swing .100 points OPS from year to year and back again. There is something bigger at play here. It's called baseball... Hits at the right time... Plays at the right time... The Extra Base... Plowing the Catcher... Playing ball the right way and believing you have a chance to win. You can't quantify it... There are no metrics for it but for some reason... The Padres played winning ball for a 2 month stretch and the Cleveland Indians lost for a two month stretch.

I'm not a huge fan of our middle infield... I like Carroll but he's too old for this club... Florimon Dozier and Escobar have proven nothing to anyone yet. I get this and I feel the same.

How much do you think we should spend on a SS? How much money do you think we have to spend overall? If there is a limit to how much we can spend. What percentage should go toward a SS and what percentage should go toward pitching? If you are allocating money to a SS. Is it worth the risk to sign a guy for 5 million if he is just going to lolligag like he has done before and doesn't the addition of that SS do nothing to improve pitching?

We won't know what kind of team the Twins are from Catcher Thru Right Field and into the bench until we have a Pitching Staff that can compete with the other pitching staffs. The current Twins haven't had to play with a season on the line. Playing for something in September will give you a real nice insight into what kind of team you have. We don't have to be better than the rest of the pitching staffs in baseball... We just have to some arms that can keep the team in the game. Once we have that... We can begin to find out if this team has the stuff to get the job done.

Until we have decent pitching... Adding a head case SS and expecting to improve the bottom line is crazy... The Guy has talent but it's like water... You need Hydrogen and Oxygen. You can't make water by adding more Hydrogen in absence of Oxygen.

Or it's like putting Snack Pack Pudding and Meat loaf in your ear. Yeah you can do it... But it won't help.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 11-17-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    A 1 yr 5M contract will not prohibit the Twins from getting a good pitcher this year. What will limit them getting a good starter this year is the 50M contracts that those pitchers sign.

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A 1 yr 5M contract will not prohibit the Twins from getting a good pitcher this year. What will limit them getting a good starter this year is the 50M contracts that those pitchers sign.
    I can't argue the 2nd sentence. I'm hoping the Twins dive into the pool anyway.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    Right, this team should be looking to make 2-3 offers of 1y, 5M and hoping that one or two of them work out. Then you can either trade them for prospects or resign as long-term value. I'm not sure how people think 5M in free agency is such a high price. The Twins can certainly afford to toss 5M at Yunel, should've tossed 5M at Baker, and used another 10-12 for more pitching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12