Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays Sign Melky Cabrera

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blue Jays Sign Melky Cabrera

According to yahoo sports its a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...1094--mlb.html

Blue Jays continue to spend money and prove they're all in on being a serious contender this year.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 438 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Holy crap. Those Canadians aren't ****ing around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    Drugs laws are more lax in Canada?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Good for their fans. The Yankees are aging, Boston is down.....good time to strike.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    I'm getting pummelled over this by my Blue Jay "friends", c'mon TR, throw me a bone.

Last edited by twinsnorth49; 11-16-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Good for their fans. The Yankees are aging, Boston is down.....good time to strike.
    Yeah, it really is a good time to strike. Yankees are getting old. Boston looted their team at the deadline. Baltimore was absurdly lucky. Tampa continues to lose players to free agency. It's rare to get this kind of a window in that division. All four of their division rivals could be significantly worse in 2013 than they were in 2012.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    According to yahoo sports its a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...1094--mlb.html

Blue Jays continue to spend money and prove they're all in on being a serious contender this year.
    I wouldn't touch him...and I respect the Giants for how they handled the whole situation

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post

I wouldn't touch him...and I respect the Giants for how they handled the whole situation
    i never said we should touch him. High risk/reward move. Good for Toronto fans though.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that a 2 year, $16M contract would have been worth a flyer on him, except that the teams cup runneth over with OF's. Good move for both Toronto and Cabrera.

Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!
    what?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twins signed Beresford for minor league depth. Not to start in the Major Leagues........

Blog Entries
    One of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.

The other signed a $16.00 contract.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brock beauchamp View Post
    let's see - melky cabrera vs james beresford - - - - . . . The twins picked beresford - surprising . . . Not!
    one of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.

The other signed a $16.00 contract.
    exactly.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    One of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.
    Keep in mind, those are Canadian dollars. $1CDN = $0.99US. Or maybe the other way around.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    I just don't see these moves really working out for the Blue Jays; but we'll see.

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Blue Jays will test the Bad Boy discussion on the other thread. Rasmus... Cabrera... Reyes... If only they would have kept Escobar...

Serious question... How much depth are they piling up. Cabrera... Rasmus... Bautista... They have Bonofacio who can play anywhere but anywhere is covered by Johnson, Reyes and Lawrie. Davis and Gose and Izturis. Buck and Arencebia and D'Arnaud behind the plate. More trades coming and I suspect for pitching. They could be a monkey wrench for the Twins making a deal. Yikes.

Liked 1,216 Times in 552 Posts
    Agree with you, Riverbrian, on the Jays not being done trading. I see one of the catchers being the first to go.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Before signing Melky they had Lind slotted as their DH so this fills a pretty big hole on the team. Johnson is a FA so this gives them Emilio and Izturis at 2B. They also have a potentially loaded lineup with Bautista, E6, Melky, Reyes and Lawrie. Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio/Izturis and their catcher could be better than they were last year also. I wouldn't be surprised if Rasmus was going somewhere though.

I'm not sure they need pitchers either with Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow and Romero. Perhaps they sign a RP'er but I think they are close to done.

I think 2/16 is a great deal for Melky and if the Twins weren't overflowing with OF'ers I would have recommended it for them. tbh I'm surprised that the Reds/Braves/Rays weren't in on this.

The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Before signing Melky they had Lind slotted as their DH so this fills a pretty big hole on the team. Johnson is a FA so this gives them Emilio and Izturis at 2B. They also have a potentially loaded lineup with Bautista, E6, Melky, Reyes and Lawrie. Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio/Izturis and their catcher could be better than they were last year also. I wouldn't be surprised if Rasmus was going somewhere though.

I'm not sure they need pitchers either with Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow and Romero. Perhaps they sign a RP'er but I think they are close to done.

I think 2/16 is a great deal for Melky and if the Twins weren't overflowing with OF'ers I would have recommended it for them. tbh I'm surprised that the Reds/Braves/Rays weren't in on this.

The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.
    (Shakes head) I was with ya until the end... lol.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the roids and what not, I'm surprised he got that... wonder if there's an out clause...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast