The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Rising Tide

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. I hope that the Twins decide to spend at least some of the increased TV dollars.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also hope the Twins spend the money. It is now all over that FA pitching is going to be more expensive than it was thought. $20 mil may only buy one #2 or #3 type pitcher. On mlbtraderumors it was brought up that Greinke wants 6 years $150 million. Their was also a link that discussed the Yankees may just have to suck it up and pay the luxury tax to stay relevant. This type of talk will only make the agents hold out for top end bucks for their better free agents. I do believe some of the agents are holding back possibly signing until the market shakes out a little more. No agent was to be accused of having their clients sign sweetheart deals.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    They have plenty of money, whether they choose to use it on players or profit is the question yet to be answered.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the Twins have 25 million to spend, if they try and dump willingham, span, and mourneau thats around 40-45. Twins need to rebuild, they need to gut the system

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    If the Twins add enough good starting pitching, they are contenders again. Why start over?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CC7 View Post
    the Twins have 25 million to spend, if they try and dump willingham, span, and mourneau thats around 40-45. Twins need to rebuild, they need to gut the system
    You went a little overboard. The twins do not need to gut the system.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    well haha some of it

Sorry guys, but we've got WAY too much to do with $20 million than we can possibly hope to get done in one season. We've got a grand total of 1 starting pitcher, and he's a #3. We can get a 4 & 5 from our system, but we need a 1 and a 2, and they don't exactly grow on trees. Those that think our offense is fine may need to reassess that. We were average in runs scored for major leagues, but towards the bottom in the AL (where we play our games). We lack power, have a ? at third and first base, a redundant CF and RF and have two absolute offensive holes in the middle infield (and I'm not convinced our SS is that great of a fielder either).

All of that is a LOT to fill in in one season. It leads me to the conclusion that we don't need tweeks, we need a major overhaul. If we try to contend, without significant rebuilding for the future, we'll (at best) be in middle-ground hell.

We need to aim higher than the middle.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    The current payroll stands at about 75 million. It is more than 20 million that Ryan can spend. More like 35-45 million. From that you would need to find 4 starters, 4 relievers, ss, 2b, backup outfielder and catcher. Most of those players will be minimum wage guys. It should leave 30-40 million for three starters and an infielder. The Pohlads would still make money. It can be done but it isn't going to happen in November. Trading Span would mean finding another outfielder with the 4.75. That can't be done easily.
    Last edited by old nurse; 11-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rays and Braves should be #1 trade partners
    D-Backs and Twins are a fit, i think they should try to swing a deal with Mourneau, Hicks, and low level prospect to Arizona for Bauer. Theres are future ace

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    If the Twins add enough good starting pitching, they are contenders again. Why start over?
    Because they won't

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd G View Post
    Sorry guys, but we've got WAY too much to do with $20 million than we can possibly hope to get done in one season. We've got a grand total of 1 starting pitcher, and he's a #3. We can get a 4 & 5 from our system, but we need a 1 and a 2, and they don't exactly grow on trees. Those that think our offense is fine may need to reassess that. We were average in runs scored for major leagues, but towards the bottom in the AL (where we play our games). We lack power, have a ? at third and first base, a redundant CF and RF and have two absolute offensive holes in the middle infield (and I'm not convinced our SS is that great of a fielder either).

All of that is a LOT to fill in in one season. It leads me to the conclusion that we don't need tweeks, we need a major overhaul. If we try to contend, without significant rebuilding for the future, we'll (at best) be in middle-ground hell.

We need to aim higher than the middle.
    Nice post!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Diamond is a #3? I think that's a bit optimistic. I'm not convinced on that yet.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Diamond is a #3? I think that's a bit optimistic. I'm not convinced on that yet.
    It is optimistic, but it's not out of the realm of possibility either. I imagine he'll settle into being the kind of pitcher who will gives us close to 200 innings with an ERA a little over 4.00. That's a pretty decent #3. Problem is, he'll likely be slotted as our ace going into this season.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Eh, me neither but I think he'll be serviceable. The Twins just need a lot of pitchers, period.

If the Twins add 20 million dollars it would be unprecedented and until I see them do it for the 1st time I'm not predicting it here. I'm using their entire franchise history as my basis for formulating that opinion. Willingham was nice and showed a step forward but they knew they were saving money because they let Cuddy and Kubel go.

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torse View Post
    If the Twins add 20 million dollars it would be unprecedented and until I see them do it for the 1st time I'm not predicting it here. I'm using their entire franchise history as my basis for formulating that opinion. Willingham was nice and showed a step forward but they knew they were saving money because they let Cuddy and Kubel go.
    If the Twins "add" $20M to their current obligations for 2013 they're barely at 2010 levels.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    The consensus seems to be: the Twins stink, and will continue to stink until they draft/develop enough young talent to resume relevency. It is impossible to sign enough quality veterans through free agency to be a playoff team.