Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Prospect Ranking Compilation

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...I wonder why you didn't include mlb's list?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I should have listed their top 20... I guess...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 534 Times in 353 Posts
    Some good reading on Fangraphs also. Remember, on Fangrpahs, the guy writing his top player list by position is only for players he has personally seen, so no comments on Sano for example. He has some interesting stuff on Twins' players.

Interesting that Angel Morales is in MLB.com's #10 spot, but he doesn't appear anywhere among the 31 players on this list.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    One of several reasons that the mlb.com list isn't included.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    http://www.scoutingbook.com/prospects/MIN it is an ongoing list so it still has write ups from last year, but the rankings are up to date.

So, Seth...other than the fact that MLB.com sucks almost as much as MLB TV, would you like to share some of the other reasons why the MLB.com list wasn't included?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 94 Posts
    How you rolled up the rankings is flawed. There aren't enough ranks to throw out the high and low (which, I assume, is why Hicks is ahead of Arcia). Also, it makes no sense that Vargas and Benson are ahead of Harrison.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    So, Seth...other than the fact that MLB.com sucks almost as much as MLB TV, would you like to share some of the other reasons why the MLB.com list wasn't included?
    The primary reason was because i didn't even think about it until after I posted the blog.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    How you rolled up the rankings is flawed. There aren't enough ranks to throw out the high and low (which, I assume, is why Hicks is ahead of Arcia). Also, it makes no sense that Vargas and Benson are ahead of Harrison.
    I didn't roll them up. I posted my Top 25, then posted where the other rankings had players. Nothing scientific.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...

The top eight make a rather tight grouping, which makes the bottom half of the projections far more interesting. Why do you think Sickels ranks five players in his top 25 that aren't mentioned by the other four fortune-tellers? Any idea, Seth?

Thanks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins minor league system is much improved this year. Recognize that 12 of 30 names on this list are guys who played in Elizabethton this year. Many of those kids received rave reviews for their play in 2012 and potential moving forward. Terry Ryan should receive some love for an excellent draft class. Although I want wins now - I believe that the Twins are building somethng special, that they can afford for years to come. Buxton; Berrios; Kepler; Harrison; Walker; Melotakis; Polanco; Bard; Goodrum; Chargois; Z. Jones; Baxendale; (Bold are T. Ryan Draftees). This list also excludes T, Duffy; T. Rogers; DJ Hicks; who all showed true promise moving forward.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Hmmm...

The top eight make a rather tight grouping, which makes the bottom half of the projections far more interesting. Why do you think Sickels ranks five players in his top 25 that aren't mentioned by the other four fortune-tellers? Any idea, Seth?

Thanks.
    Sickels and Seth are the only two lists that go to 25. The main difference between Seth and Johns ratings seems to be John like recent draftees over Seth, who ranks guys with longer track records, but lower ceilings higher.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...

Thanks.
    The top 8 is very consistent for pretty much all rankings I've seen. As for Sickels, he has ranked 4-5 of the 2012 college relievers in his late teens. I believe in Chargois, Jones, etc., I have them ranked in the low 30s, which for me is very high for relievers. Those guys can definitely come up (and fairly quickly) and play a big role in the Twins bullpen. It's hard for me to rank relievers really high, especially guys just drafted last year, when their ceiling is 60-70 innings. Meanwhile, a #3 or #4 starting pitcher is going to pitch 150-180 innings a season. That said, I have no problem with Sickels ranking them that high because I think they can be impact players. Also, he ranked 20. I haven't seen what Baseball America's 11-30 are. My guess is they will have a bunch of those guys in their teens and 20s too.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Hmmm...

Thanks.
    Sickels and Seth are the only two lists that go to 25. The main difference between Seth and Johns ratings seems to be John like recent draftees over Seth, who ranks guys with longer track records, but lower ceilings higher.
    Right or wrong, it is more about relievers versus starters for me. I definitely believe in the 2012 draft picks. I had the chance to see Melotakis and Baxendale (who dominated as a reliever but will be a starter next year). I didn't get a chance to see Taylor Rogers or Zach Jones, but the stories of Jones in Beloit were enough to get me really excited. The kid consistently was hitting 98 and touched 100 a few times. Duffey was incredible all season, and Chargois will be very good too.

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    http://www.mlbprospectportal.com/201...prospects.html

MLB PROSPECT PORTAL
    found another site with rankings - surfing

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth
    Goodrum didn't make your top 25?
    I just noticed that now. Why not?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Seth
    Goodrum didn't make your top 25?
    I just noticed that now. Why not?
    Would have been good to see some improvement in his second season at E-Town.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I am encouraged by all of the gushing from scouts about Goodrum's tools and his play at SS but I'm unimpressed by the results so far. He had a great June and pretty much sucked the last two months. He would sneak into my top 20 though.

The guy that I haven't liked as much as others is Travis Harrison. He is likely headed to 1B and he really didn't hit that well this year for that position. Mediocre power and the stat line only looked good due to a .379 BAPIP. Jorge Polanco had more power, better plate discipline and has good up the middle defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast