Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Someone Please Tell Me How Nishioka Doesn't Make the 25-Man Roster?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any plan that has Tsuyoshi Nishioka in Rochester is the plan to go with. I really like Pedro Florimon at shortstop he looks so smooth and effortless defensively. He could be a nice stopgap until Dozier is ready. I think the front office has to accept that Nishioka is not a major leaguer player and the sooner the better. Wow, 2011 was a nightmare!!

I don't know anything about the defense of the options at Triple-A, but how can a big league club be in this bad of a situation in the middle infield?! Nishioka was NEVER a sure thing, and even had he worked out, you need to journeyman depth at SS at the AAA level in case of injury, etc. I would much rather have seen a "Butera"-type player at SS last year than catcher...someone who can at least field the position, even if their bat offers nothing. It's not like the combination of Nishioka and Casilla were driving balls off the wall last year exactly...

I know Plouffe was bad, but there HAVE to be better options somewhere in the organization at SS, defensively speaking. And yes, I would absolutely want a utility backup that can play SS, given that option #1 is 38-year old Jamey Carroll, who isn't even really a shortstop.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the start of.....THE NICK PUNTO CURSE

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We may still not know what Plan B is, but apparently Terry Ryan had very little problem finding a way for Nishioka not to make the 25-man roster. I didn't think the cut would happen this quickly.

I know everyone still talks about him being a long-shot, but given how Hollimon has been hitting, I'm not sure how you can completely ignore him. Yes, given his mediocre history, you can't put too much emphasis on a couple of hot weeks. But he certainly would have been expected to be among the first couple of rounds of cuts heading in to camp and the fact that he's still there and Nishioka isn't could be telling. At the very least, it seems they may want to give him the PAs against Major League pitching that Nishioka had been getting.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12