Thread: Who will be added today? (40 man roster decisions)

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who will be added today? (40 man roster decisions)

Sometime today, the Twins will announce their 40 man roster changes and additions. It's always a fun time for me to see who gets added. Generally speaking, teams will added anywhere from two to six players, maybe more. The Twins currently have 32 players on their 40 man roster, so technically, they could add eight players today. That is unlikely for a couple of reasons:

1.) There aren't eight players that NEED to be added.
    2.) leaving the roster at 38 or 39 allows them to make a Rule 5 pick or two.
    3.) leaves room for free agent signings between now and the December 6 Rule 5 draft.

For the Offseason GM Handbook, I wrote about the 40 man roster decisions. I ranked the players in terms of likelihood (in my opinion) of being added:

1.) Aaron Hicks, 2.) Kyle Gibson, 3.) Danny Santana, 4.) BJ Hermsen, 5.) Michael Tonkin, 6.) Bruce Pugh, 7.) Adrian Salcedo.

That was almost two months ago. In the time since, nothing has really changed. I think Hicks and Gibson remain givens. The only thing I might change would be to move Tonkin up to the #3 spot.

What do you think will happen today?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks and Gibson are the obvious choices. After that, it's anyone's guess.

If they deal Span or Willingham, what are the odds that Arcia makes the 40 man relatively soon?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

If they deal Span or Willingham, what are the odds that Arcia makes the 40 man relatively soon?
    Arcia was added to the 40 man roster last offseason.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless Terry Ryan has several signings or trades in the works that he expects to finalize by the 6th (yeah, I know... but a fan can dream, right?), I think Hicks, Gibson, Hermsen and Tonkin will be added and possibly Santana, as well. I know that a couple of those guys have almost no chance of sticking on another team's MLB roster in 2013, but do we think the Twins really want to take a chance of Hermsen or Tonkin getting drafted, spending all of Spring Training with another team, and then maybe being returned to the Twins? Teams try to keep their Rule 5 picks by stashing them on the DL or making some kind of trade all the time. I just don't see the Twins taking that chance on these guys if it's not necessary. That would still leave room for several additions by trade or free agency and there are a couple other guys on the roster that they likely wouldn't worry too much about dropping later if they need the space.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Arcia was added to the 40 man roster last offseason.
    Ah, how'd I miss that? I guess he kinda had to be... Been in the system for what, five years now?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Hicks, Gibson and Santana. Maybe Tonkin. I think they'll protect Santana just b/c they don't have much in the way of MI depth and have room to spare. Hermsen isn't going to be picked in the rule v draft.

The Twins also have some dead weight that could still be removed as the winter progresses. You can't remove any of the 40-man adds except by trade, right, before spring training. Still on the bubble are such names as Guerra, Oliveros (injured), Swarzak (arbitration), Butera (necessary evil), Field (really, Benson (does he still have stock), Mastro (replaceable).Makes the Twins 32-man roster as of now look pretty pitiful, doesn't it. I'm also sure the Twins were contemplating Bigley, but not necessary. They could add Slama, which I would consider a given, just to keep him in the organization...still has at least one option year. I kept hearing Thielbar being talked up, but he disappointed in the AFL. Refreash the memory of how the Twins could lose guys in the min or league portion, and is that why protecting Salceo or Pugh might be important.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Seth, The toughest decision is going to be what to do, or not do, with Salcedo. Highest ceiling of all the pitchers at risk except Gibson. But after missing nearly all of last year and pitching at Hi-A, would he really get drafted? And if he does, could he stick with a team?

Like you, I have been looking for their announcement since Friday

You also didn't mention Josmil Pinto. I can't see the Twins having five catchers on their roster, but Pinto had an awesome year and may be the best 'catcher' in their system.
    Last edited by roger; 11-20-2012 at 12:01 PM.