Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Article: Money Matters

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    States need to insert clauses that payroll needs to be a certain figure when they fund ballparks or the difference goes to them to pay the taxpayers back for duping them.

Those of you in minnesota should lobby for an anti duping legislation. There are enough liberals up there to do it.
    ...and Pohlad is one of them! The "liberals" as you term them pass the stadium bills as "stimulus, job-creating investments".
    The debate in 2006 for a stadium was not about job stimulus. Anybody who wanted a job could have one. The job creation stimulus debate was for the Vikings stadium.

facts are a pesky thing
    It was called "downtown revitalization". Bring people back to downtown using the stadium as the hook. Oh yes, jobs were mentioned--construction jobs, part of the electorate. Target field did bring people downtown, the bars are busy on game days, and the light rail is full. Shopping--no, not at all, some miracles take more time. But jobs were an item--they typically are--even in boom times, people don't vote against more jobs.

The only thing I agree with on this artcile is yes money does matter, but then to say the Twins don't spend money or are cheap is totally wrong. It's already been brought up - The Twins have had Top-10 payroll in 10, 11 and Top-15 in 12. So we are crying they don't spend enough? It seems it's brought up Mauer doesn't count and that's why we are in the Top-10 in payroll. He's part of the team, they signed quality guys last year. Willingham got a three year deal. The Twins spend money. If they have a payroll between 85-115 million we are lucky compared to other clubs. The Twins have finished with the 2nd worst record in 2011 and the 4th worst record this year and we didn't sell off every player we have and it looks like we will still be a Top-15 team in Salary for 2013. The Twins spend enough money to compete. If you worked in the Corporate World the business is in it to make a profit. For Detroit the Owner wants to win not make money. That's fine but I don't see why we should expect the Polads to think that way. They want to make money, and that's their right. What they are spending is fair and it should give the Twins a chance to win. Signing Tori Hunter a muli-year contract at age 37 for 7 figures is dumb. Toronto took a huge risk on guys with a history of injuries and/or back loaded and long contracts. They play in a tough division the Twins do not. With all the payroll they took on they still will probably have a payroll around 115 million and took on huge risk. The Twins can complete with a payroll between 85-100 million right now and for less in the future if guys like Rosario, Sano, Arcia, Gibson, Berrios, Hendriks, Revere and Hicks turn

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 328 Posts
    I would love it of my company spent 50-52% of revenue on payroll....although I wouldn't have my job for very long under those circumstances.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I would love it of my company spent 50-52% of revenue on payroll....although I wouldn't have my job for very long under those circumstances.
    You probably also wouldn't mind if the starting salary at your company was $450,000 per year. I know I wouldn't!

I just want to say, "thanks" to everyone who's read and contributed to the discussion of this article. Whether you agree with what I wrote or not, I've enjoyed the sprited, yet generally respectful, debate. It certainly goes to show just how difficult Terry Ryan's job is right now.

As we near Thanksgiving, one of the things I'm personally thankful for is the Twins blogging community, in particular my co-bloggers at Knuckleballs and the TwinsDaily crew who have provided this venue for Twins-based discussions like this. Being a Twins fan isn't easy these days, but it's a heck of a lot more fun having so many great fans here with whom to share the experience, for better or worse.

I hope everyone has a terrific holiday!
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Oh, so now you're saying they're spending too much and really going out of their way for payroll? Everyone should be thrilled with what they spend and feel lucky we have such generous owners?
    Last edited by ThePuck; 11-21-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Same to you, Jim. Thanks for all the great contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Oh, so now you're saying they're spending too much and really going out of their way for payroll? Everyone should be thrilled with what they spend and feel lucky we have such generous owners?
    No, but thanks for playing.

Jim, there is another possibility that is being ignored. There are signs the economy is sliding back into recession. I suspect Twins management is probably caught on the horns of a dilemma from a financial standpoint. Suppose the team makes some expensive moves and manages to get in contention, but people just don't have the money to attend games? Were I the Twins, I'd be crunching a lot of numbers, trying to figure out if the decline in attendance can be completely attributed to putting a bad product on the field.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    So what teams beside the Marlins for the obvious choice keep their payroll under 50% of revenue?

The 50% of revenue would be perfectly acceptable if the paid for their own stadium and didn't force taxpayers to help the pocket so much money every season. I just can't wait for the day when the Pohlads are no longer involved with the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    No, but thanks for playing.
    That is exactly what your post implied...

Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    So what teams beside the Marlins for the obvious choice keep their payroll under 50% of revenue?

The 50% of revenue would be perfectly acceptable if the paid for their own stadium and didn't force taxpayers to help the pocket so much money every season. I just can't wait for the day when the Pohlads are no longer involved with the Twins.
    Tampa Bay, Oakland, most teams other than a handful peg payroll somewhere around 50%. Wish the Pohlads away if you like, I think you'll be disappointed if you expect more from somebody else.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345