Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royals signed Jeremy Guthrie

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    That contract doesn't look horrible to me, kind of what I would expect really. Thats why I say spend the money and get Grienke. Don't **** around with mediocre pitchers like Guthrie.
    I'm not surprised by the amount, but the length.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bad clubs have to take chances and spend more. Twins have issue noted above that they do not look like a contender. That raises prices and reduces the number of FA's who want to play here.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Hardballtalk had him as the 35th best free agent this year. If people do not want a guy like him, what are you expecting?
    I'm more worried that the 35th best FA just got a 3/25 contract...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    There are 30 teams with multiple holes and the tv contract is adding 20 million next year. What would you expect the 35th best player to get? You all know contract values are going up, right?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    This is why I always advocated signing Santana and Hunter for whatever they were asking for. The way salaries skyrocket a lot of deals will end up looking like steals just because of how awful all the new contracts are.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Let him have his $8 million or so per year.

Three years? Hells no.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    It's FA with a ton of cash floating around....what in god's name do people expect? I'll keep saying it, Baker is going to look like a steal at 5M by the end of this.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    It's FA with a ton of cash floating around....what in god's name do people expect? I'll keep saying it, Baker is going to look like a steal at 5M by the end of this.
    I have to wonder where the Twins drew the line with him. Maybe he just didn't want to come back or wanted to try somewhere else. I don't blame him since the Twins training staff completely destroyed his ability to make a lot of money this offseason.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins havent spent on a FA pitcher as good as Guthrie in 2 decades.....Sid Ponson still upright?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I have to wonder where the Twins drew the line with him. Maybe he just didn't want to come back or wanted to try somewhere else. I don't blame him since the Twins training staff completely destroyed his ability to make a lot of money this offseason.
    My understanding is that the sticking point was the option year. The Twins were insistent on one and Baker was adamant against.

I can see it from both sides. With the assumption that Baker pitches well in 2013, the Twins were hoping to get an extra year at a relatively cheap salary. From Baker's standpoint, his next contract is probably going to be his last so he is hoping that he can get a 3/30+ after next season and didn't want to wait an extra year to hit FA again.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    My point more was that people are crediting the Twins for not spending that much on Baker. By the end, that credit is going to look really foolish when the pricetags keep rolling in.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Royals Celebrate Mediocrity, Sign Jeremy Guthrie

From fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...eremy-guthrie/

I fear the Twins will soon celebrate with the Royals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12