Thread: Article: Gibson, Hicks among 8 players added to Twins 40 man roster

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gibson, Hicks among 8 players added to Twins 40 man roster

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to imagine it's almost a lock that Anthony Slama gets taken in the Rule 5 draft. There has to be a team like the Royals or Astros that would be more than willing to give him a shot for an entire season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I believe that the addition of Pinto signals the end of Butera's tenure with the Twins. No way are the Twins going to keep 5 catchers on the 40 man roster, so I expect Butera to be non-tendered.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLoin View Post
    I have to imagine it's almost a lock that Anthony Slama gets taken in the Rule 5 draft. There has to be a team like the Royals or Astros that would be more than willing to give him a shot for an entire season.
    I agree that there is some team willing to give Slama a shot, especially after his performance last year.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    If they take a player in the rule 5 or they sign any free agents what players are likely to be dropped if these guys must stay until spring?
    Seems really strange they didn't leave any open spots with all the players being let go.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Any thought that by filling up the entire 40 man roster that it signals that we have a multi-player trade brewing? If we are shipping out 2 or 3 guys on our 40 man roster for one very good pitcher, that would leave us at 37 or 38?

Am I being too optimistic?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins might have a couple of guys they would be willing to risk losing if they have to pass them through waivers. With all teams trying to jockey their 40 man rosters around this time of the year, it might also be a good time to do that.

I am also a bit surprised they protected that many.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I expected Pinto, however, am a bit surprised that they added 8. Expect they will make a move or two before the Rule 5 draft as they certainly will want to look at potential starting pitchers. Most likely to be moved could be Fields.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Field is one of about 5-6 guys who could still be removed if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    I believe that the addition of Pinto signals the end of Butera's tenure with the Twins. No way are the Twins going to keep 5 catchers on the 40 man roster, so I expect Butera to be non-tendered.
    So happy For Josmil! He is a great guy and very hard working. Hope to see him starting in minnesota one day.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Any thought that by filling up the entire 40 man roster that it signals that we have a multi-player trade brewing? If we are shipping out 2 or 3 guys on our 40 man roster for one very good pitcher, that would leave us at 37 or 38?

Am I being too optimistic?
    It does seem that the Twins are more interested in trading for pitching help than signing free agents. That also is consistent with Ryan's previous statement of "...thin free agent market...".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Field is one of about 5-6 guys who could still be removed if needed.
    so who are the other 5 guys that don't deserve to be on the 40 man roster? They better make a move for a decent starter before contracts like the one KC just handed Guthrie drive up the market for the other quality arms.

One last thing do you think they will draft a hard thrower who can actually throw strikes in the Rule 5 draft?

Five other guys: Butera, Swarzak both in arbitration. Tom Field is a so-so. Lester Oliveros is injured and out for most of 2013. Deolis Guerra could be gone. You could argue the need to keep Benson around. Is Mastro a real keeper? Hermann cold be outrighted. Sometimes it is easier to get guys thru once the Rule 5 happens and rosters fill up.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    so what is nate roberts' status. can he be selected in the rule 5 draft? with a full 40 man roster........ expectations of free agent pitcher signings are dimmed. at least in the very near future.

I think it is a shame that Chris Colabello was not signed on the 40 man roster. He proved he can hit in AA ball and is tearing it up in Mexico for winter ball. What a shame. They must be saving him for trade.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Five other guys: Butera, Swarzak both in arbitration. Tom Field is a so-so. Lester Oliveros is injured and out for most of 2013. Deolis Guerra could be gone. You could argue the need to keep Benson around. Is Mastro a real keeper? Hermann cold be outrighted. Sometimes it is easier to get guys thru once the Rule 5 happens and rosters fill up.
    Butera, Field easily moved. Swarzak isn't arb eligible so they'll definitely keep him. He would also be lost. Oliveros will be out for all of 2013, but that makes him an easy pick in the Rule 5 because the other team can keep him all next year on their DL and then bring him back the following year. Guerra could possibly sneak through. Mastroianni maybe could sneak through, but he's an ideal 4th OF, so I'd keep him. Herrmann would be claimed by a bunch of teams.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    so what is nate roberts' status. can he be selected in the rule 5 draft? with a full 40 man roster........ expectations of free agent pitcher signings are dimmed. at least in the very near future.
    Nate Roberts doesn't have to be added until after next season since he was a college draft pick in 2010. He and Alex Wimmers should hopefully lead the list of For-Sures.

Lots can happen to make the roster less than 40 and they can sign free agents. Also, they can make trades.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laroosh1 View Post
    I think it is a shame that Chris Colabello was not signed on the 40 man roster. He proved he can hit in AA ball and is tearing it up in Mexico for winter ball. What a shame. They must be saving him for trade.
    He wouldn't have to be added to the 40 man roster until after the 2014 season... so it's not worth taking a roster spot now since he can't be selected in the Rule 5.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Butera, Field easily moved. Swarzak isn't arb eligible so they'll definitely keep him. He would also be lost. Oliveros will be out for all of 2013, but that makes him an easy pick in the Rule 5 because the other team can keep him all next year on their DL and then bring him back the following year. Guerra could possibly sneak through. Mastroianni maybe could sneak through, but he's an ideal 4th OF, so I'd keep him. Herrmann would be claimed by a bunch of teams.
    Oliveros would be the 1st player the twins would remove if they sign someone. If he's out most of 2013, then the rule five rules would apply in 2014 as well.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nate Roberts doesn't have to be added until after next season since he was a college draft pick in 2010. He and Alex Wimmers should hopefully lead the list of For-Sures.
    Arcia was signed in the summer of 2007 and needed to be added in November of 2011.

Kepler (summer) and Sano (fall) were signed in 2009, so I'm anticipating that they will need to be added in November of 2013.

I do believe, though, that I read at one point that because of when Sano signed that the Twins would get an extra year. I didn't - and still don't - see how that's possible. If eligible, both are must-adds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast