Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Article: Gibson, Hicks among 8 players added to Twins 40 man roster

  1. #21
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,926
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laroosh1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think it is a shame that Chris Colabello was not signed on the 40 man roster. He proved he can hit in AA ball and is tearing it up in Mexico for winter ball. What a shame. They must be saving him for trade.
    He wouldn't have to be added to the 40 man roster until after the 2014 season... so it's not worth taking a roster spot now since he can't be selected in the Rule 5.
    Let's be honest here... Colabello will be the everyday first baseman for the Twins at some point in 2013.

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    For Slama's sake I hope he gets picked in the rule V......anyone except the White Sox is fine.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Five other guys: Butera, Swarzak both in arbitration. Tom Field is a so-so. Lester Oliveros is injured and out for most of 2013. Deolis Guerra could be gone. You could argue the need to keep Benson around. Is Mastro a real keeper? Hermann cold be outrighted. Sometimes it is easier to get guys thru once the Rule 5 happens and rosters fill up.
    Butera, Field easily moved. Swarzak isn't arb eligible so they'll definitely keep him. He would also be lost. Oliveros will be out for all of 2013, but that makes him an easy pick in the Rule 5 because the other team can keep him all next year on their DL and then bring him back the following year. Guerra could possibly sneak through. Mastroianni maybe could sneak through, but he's an ideal 4th OF, so I'd keep him. Herrmann would be claimed by a bunch of teams.
    Oliveros would be the 1st player the twins would remove if they sign someone. If he's out most of 2013, then the rule five rules would apply in 2014 as well.
    If you can hold out on Oliveras till the season starts, he immediately goes to 60 day DL.
    Butera, Guerra, Field, Swarzak, Burnett could be possibilites IMO. No shot on Benson, Mastro, Hermann.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    373
    Like
    72
    Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    for many of these guys.............. IF they are (would have been) chosen......... the odds of them staying on any teams' active roster is so minute, that it really doesn't matter if they are on the twins' 40 man. plus, the original team comes out 25K to the good. do they have to go through waivers when returned if you don't want them on your active roster? what is the harm of not protecting those that are in A ball or AA ball? you would get them back anyway. and probably sooner than later. thanks in advance for the clarifications.
    Last edited by h2oface; 11-21-2012 at 03:30 AM.

  5. #25
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,926
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    for many of these guys.............. IF they arem (would have been) chosen......... the odds of them staying on any teams' active roster is so minute, that it really doesn't matter if they are on the twins' 40 man. plus, the original team comes out 25K to the good. do they have to go through waivers? what is the harm of not protecting those that are in A ball or AA ball? you would get them back anyway. and probably sooner than later.
    Agreed. The part that irritates me is that they add eight guys, six of which have ceilings as replacement-level guys, yet don't add Salcedo who still has potential to be at least a mid-rotation starter.

    I wouldn't have added Salcedo myself, but there's no way I add eight guys before him.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    645
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Last time I checked, Pugh is doing well in Winterball. I would expect someone makes a claim on him in the Rule V but would be surprised if the Twins lost him as I doubt he could stick the whole year on the 25 man roster.

    I am surprised Santana is on the 40 man. If this was the plan, why wouldn't they have called him up to AA sometime last year? I doubt he would make it the whole year on a 25 man roster and probably would've stayed with the team through the Rule V draft.

  7. #27
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,530
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    For Slama's sake I hope he gets picked in the rule V......anyone except the White Sox is fine.
    Just a correction... It's the Rule 5 draft, not the Rule V draft...

    Anyway, I like Anthony and I sincerely hope for him that he does get selected. But teams have had opportunities to pick him up and haven't. I'd be shocked if he was taken now. In part because the last few years only about 10-12 players get drafted in the Rule 5, few stick, and they're generally younger.

  8. #28
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,530
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    for many of these guys.............. IF they arem (would have been) chosen......... the odds of them staying on any teams' active roster is so minute, that it really doesn't matter if they are on the twins' 40 man. plus, the original team comes out 25K to the good. do they have to go through waivers when returned if you don't want them on your active roster? what is the harm of not protecting those that are in A ball or AA ball? you would get them back anyway. and probably sooner than later. thanks in advance for the clarifications.
    Honestly, the Twins wouldn't put someone on the 40 man roster that they don't think would be taken in the Rule 5. In other words, they must feel that the likelihood of these guys being selected was worth adding them. Hicks and Gibson are the types of talents that people would take and probably play. It's not hard to 'hide' a 12th or 13th pitcher, so someone like Tonkin would certainly be in play, and Thielbar is left-handed with some good, intriguing stuff who pitched alright in AAA. Left-handed and breathing. Twins showed last year that it's not hard to hide a 3rd catcher, even when they went with 13 pitchers. And Pinto would be a pinch-hitting type. He may have been taken. I'm surprised by the Wood inclusion, but again, 29 and throws hard, so he easily could be hidden. Santana is a true, natural shortstop with great speed and athleticism. Not many of those out there, so I'm sure this was a pretty easy choice for the team to keep him. He'd be stashed as a 2nd utility infielder who mainly pinch-runs.

    Don't get me wrong... I was very surprised by Pinto, Thielbar and Wood. To be honest, I"m almost a little surprised by Hermsen, but I can certainly understand the case for each.

  9. #29
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,530
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    for many of these guys.............. IF they arem (would have been) chosen......... the odds of them staying on any teams' active roster is so minute, that it really doesn't matter if they are on the twins' 40 man. plus, the original team comes out 25K to the good. do they have to go through waivers? what is the harm of not protecting those that are in A ball or AA ball? you would get them back anyway. and probably sooner than later.
    Agreed. The part that irritates me is that they add eight guys, six of which have ceilings as replacement-level guys, yet don't add Salcedo who still has potential to be at least a mid-rotation starter.

    I wouldn't have added Salcedo myself, but there's no way I add eight guys before him.
    I wouldn't have added 8 either, I don't think, but like I said above, I can see the case. Salcedo was so hurt last year that no one would take him this offseason and be able to keep him on the big league roster, and my assumptino is that he will be too healthy next year to just throw on the DL. So, he's an easy choice to not add whereas a guy like Thielbar or Wood could be selected and would have no problem sticking on the big league roster of a team that has an open spot, or a bad team just trying to add pieces.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    373
    Like
    72
    Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    i just don't see the "hide/stash" scenario anymore. this is a new era in baseball. the old school mentality is proving to no longer work. oakland and san fran and tampa.......... they are examples. with stacking 12 pitchers, and 9 position players, and 4 bench, or however one divides the 25 man roster.......... with starting pitchers only being able to go (or allowed to go) 100 pitches, and many doing that by the 5th..... and then those guys that are hurt but not honest, and the team doesn't put them on the DL right away (sound familiar), the team is thinner yet. the national league teams have to use more pinch hitters. the twins were just about as horrible as it can get, and they wouldn't have brought up any of the guys in question, and i don't know how the twins could have possibly hidden anybody all year and taken up that precious roster spot. i see guys like butera as exposed, and not hidden. kinda like constantly having to have a pitcher come to bat. so exposed, not hidden. but again, i don't really think it matters to protect them, as they would come back. this group of 40 are the ones that ryan must see as the twins immediate future, and because he is still in the era past, this is how he believes he needs to play it. so this is what we see. ryan's vision of the team his is building for its fans. perhaps he is making sure he has the chips he is working on trades with? too hopeful? the gems in the draft might be those that were hurt, and not protected, that are actually ready to get the shot if they rehab to the same or better level.

    slama seems to be the perfect pick for a reliever. ready as can be, just untested. i sense his freedom is near.
    Last edited by h2oface; 11-21-2012 at 04:26 AM.

  11. #31
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    430
    I hope Slama is given an opportunity with someone. He seems like a decent guy and he deserves another shot in the big leagues.

  12. #32
    Dave St. Peter was on Syd and Dave's show on Sunday and made the comment
    "I wouldn't be surprised if we make a couple deals during the Winter Meetings coming up". So let's wait a few weeks and see what happens.

  13. #33
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,247
    Like
    107
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tellis205 View Post
    Dave St. Peter was on Syd and Dave's show on Sunday and made the comment
    "I wouldn't be surprised if we make a couple deals during the Winter Meetings coming up". So let's wait a few weeks and see what happens.
    If the Twins don't make any deals as a result of the Winter meetings there will outrage across the tundra. The Twins may continue to deal through Spring Training but they have to be able to show something by a couple days after the Winter meetings close.

  14. #34

    Slama

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLoin View Post
    I have to imagine it's almost a lock that Anthony Slama gets taken in the Rule 5 draft. There has to be a team like the Royals or Astros that would be more than willing to give him a shot for an entire season.
    I agree that there is some team willing to give Slama a shot, especially after his performance last year.
    I believe he was eligible in 2011 for the Rule 5 Draft but was not chosen. My guess is that he must have spit (or is it spat) sunflower seeds at Gardy at some point in his career.

  15. #35
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,926
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHockey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLoin View Post
    I have to imagine it's almost a lock that Anthony Slama gets taken in the Rule 5 draft. There has to be a team like the Royals or Astros that would be more than willing to give him a shot for an entire season.
    I agree that there is some team willing to give Slama a shot, especially after his performance last year.
    I believe he was eligible in 2011 for the Rule 5 Draft but was not chosen. My guess is that he must have spit (or is it spat) sunflower seeds at Gardy at some point in his career.
    He wasn't expected to get drafted in the Rule 5 draft last year because he was outrighted off the roster in October and went unclaimed. If anyone at all wanted him, they could have had him for free. A month and a half later no team was going to cough up $50K and a major league roster spot.

  16. #36
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,926
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    for many of these guys.............. IF they arem (would have been) chosen......... the odds of them staying on any teams' active roster is so minute, that it really doesn't matter if they are on the twins' 40 man. plus, the original team comes out 25K to the good. do they have to go through waivers? what is the harm of not protecting those that are in A ball or AA ball? you would get them back anyway. and probably sooner than later.
    Agreed. The part that irritates me is that they add eight guys, six of which have ceilings as replacement-level guys, yet don't add Salcedo who still has potential to be at least a mid-rotation starter.

    I wouldn't have added Salcedo myself, but there's no way I add eight guys before him.
    I wouldn't have added 8 either, I don't think, but like I said above, I can see the case. Salcedo was so hurt last year that no one would take him this offseason and be able to keep him on the big league roster, and my assumptino is that he will be too healthy next year to just throw on the DL. So, he's an easy choice to not add whereas a guy like Thielbar or Wood could be selected and would have no problem sticking on the big league roster of a team that has an open spot, or a bad team just trying to add pieces.
    BA released their first Rule 5 draft preview today.

    There were no Twins included in the list of 10 guys that could hear their named called. There were also no Twins included (surprisingly?) in the five names that fell into the "They were protected?" category.

    The Tigers apparently added a SS that batted .195 in high-class A last year. (Maybe they feared the Twins would take him?)

  17. #37
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Players who were signed when they were 19 or older and have played in professional baseball for four years are eligible, as are players who were signed at 18 and have played for five years.

  18. #38
    Be interesting to see what players Miami and Houston might grab. Sometimes you can find a gem, like Slama, as a team's 41st player.

    Could someone explain the rules to the minor league portion of the draft?

    And, yes, fewer and fewer teams can "stash"a player. I think the Twins may have wished that they had stashed Terry Doyle last season, though.

  19. #39
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,926
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Could someone explain the rules to the minor league portion of the draft?
    In addition to the 40-man roster, teams have a AAA and AA reserve list. These lists aren't public knowledge, so it's hard to know who will be available and who won't be... but if you're not on the reserve lists, you're available to be selected.

  20. #40
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,530
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    The Tigers apparently added a SS that batted .195 in high-class A last year. (Maybe they feared the Twins would take him?)

    Dixon Machado. I saw him last year in Beloit, playing for West Michigan. He made me stop doing anything to watch him take infield at shortstop. Unbelievably smooth glove. He was their ninth hitter last year, and I"m sure he was again. Again, I don't know that I would have protected him, but there are so few pure shortstops that when teams find them, they protect them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.