Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chone Figgins

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    The funny thing is Figgins might be the worst player in baseball currently, and people WANT to bring him in for some reason. In addition to him being terrible at baseball he is also a bad clubhouse guy.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a perfect fit... if your intent is to get by on the cheap by signing someone with a name that people might recognize but won't seriously challenge any of your younger players for a spot on the roster, yet allowing you to tell your fan base that you "tried" to improve the team.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    I doubt a Japanese team would even touch this guy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
    Even if Figgins played up to his ability, he'd still be redundant with Carroll already around.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This sounds like the kind of thing the Twins would do in the mid-to-late 90's. Sign a washed-up veteran in hopes he reclaims some of his past glory to pretend you're trying to compete when you're really not. I actually kinda wanted the Twins to sign him when he was a FA, I thought he'd look great at the top of our lineup with Span (two guys at the time sporting near .400 OBP), but his performance in Seattle has erased that feeling. Pass on Figgins, please.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I laughed my ass off when Seattle signed Figgins to that contract (lived in Long Beach and followed his entire career with the Angels).

No thanks. Figgins is a perfect example of why you dish off speedy, no-power guys the moment they peak in value. They have a tendency to die an ugly baseball death at age 30.
    Precisely. Though I didn't listen to myself and still drafted him in my fantasy league not once, but TWICE after the decline.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    I will say this, Chone was a Twins killer when he was with the Angels. The guy must have been on base 8 out of 10 times, and then would get 8 steals out of 8 tries. When he was a free agent, I remember one the old guys I work with(a twins fanatic) wouldn't shut up about trying to sign him. If I recall, he signed that now laughable deal in Seattle, and we ended up with Joe "no disk" Crede. In the end, they both sucked. At least Joe was a one year no chance guy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He has enough speed to be useful. He plays 3B, 2B, and a little SS if i remember right. will cost the same as escobar with more experience. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong. If he hits so bad you gotta replace him you can, and if he hits well he can spell the player in a slump which would be really helpful if 2 players are slumping and Carroll is out there playing everyday. There really is only upside in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    . By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong.
    Yes you can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    He has enough speed to be useful. He plays 3B, 2B, and a little SS if i remember right. will cost the same as escobar with more experience. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong. If he hits so bad you gotta replace him you can, and if he hits well he can spell the player in a slump which would be really helpful if 2 players are slumping and Carroll is out there playing everyday. There really is only upside in this scenario.
    He has been TERRIBLE​ for three years.

Blog Entries
    He can no longer hit, his BB/K rate is going in the wrong direction dramatically, he no longer really steal bases, his defense is now below average, he has been below replacement level for 2 seasons, is a bit of a problem in the clubhouse, and would take valuable playing time away from players the Twins need to develop in order to figure out the future of this godforsaken infield.

WHAT MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    We have no NEED for a player like this. None whatsoever.

If we want a player likely to dissappoint us, let's just go with what we got.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    We have no NEED for a player like this. None whatsoever.

If we want a player likely to dissappoint us, let's just go with what we got.
    Imagine Drew Butera with bad defense and who plays in the infield. That's Chone Figgins now.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 602 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Imagine Drew Butera with bad defense and who plays in the infield. That's Chone Figgins now.
    That's about all the perspective that should be needed.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That should be all anybody needs to know about Chone Figgins.

He WILL land somewhere...and he has something to prove...that he deserves to play beyond 2013, I would think...unless is is totally content to drift into the sunset. Any team that signs him will only have to pay the major league minimum, nothing more. I'm sure he will hold out for playing time and the position he wants to play. But don't see him as a good fit for the Twins. His attitude, if I read him right, is me, me, me.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's not Drew Butera because Drew Butera never had the success Chone Figgins had. When Figgins signed that bid deal with the Mariners (which nobody thought was particularly crazy) his career OBP was .363. Even now, after two years of having an OPB of .241 and .272, his career OBP is still .349.

Maybe he just got really old really fast. He is 34. But I'd be a lot more comfortable giving him a job at 2B and having Carroll play SS than I am choosing between Dozier and Florimon as a starter next year.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    He's not Drew Butera because Drew Butera never had the success Chone Figgins had. When Figgins signed that bid deal with the Mariners (which nobody thought was particularly crazy)
    Plenty of people thought that it was a crazy signing at the time, it was ripped universally.

Again, Figgins was probably the worst player in baseball last year. The Twins need to stay as far away from him as possible, I'd rather give Dozier 600 at bats then Figgins 8 days out of the week, and Dozier would actually out preform him by a wide margin.

Also Figgins is GARBAGE defensively at 2B.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    When Figgins signed that bid deal with the Mariners (which nobody thought was particularly crazy)
    Not to blow my own horn but I lambasted and heckled that signing from day one.

But, again, I do not like no-hit speedsters going into their 30s. I think they're almost universally a bad idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast