Thread: Competition for Plouffe?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Competition for Plouffe?

The Red Sox have designated Danny Valencia for assignment.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Red Sox also designated Zach Stewart for assignment. He was acquired in the Youkilis deal from the White Sox, but has bounced around (Blue Jays and Reds) in the last few years. He hasn't been great, but he's not far removed from being a decently respected prospect (Toronto's #1 coming into 2010). He would be a guy I'd much rather see added to the roster - young, cheap, starter - than a few of the guys added today.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I read somewhere that Terry Ryan wants to bring in a starter for competition. I don't know if Plouffe will end up being much, or not. But its like Kubel all over again. Never wanting to give him a fair shot, and then send him out there when he's not 100% on top of it.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Plouffe could be consistent, he could be amazing. Maybe some competition could help him focus, or maybe it could hurt him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    The Red Sox also designated Zach Stewart for assignment. He was acquired in the Youkilis deal from the White Sox, but has bounced around (Blue Jays and Reds) in the last few years. He hasn't been great, but he's not far removed from being a decently respected prospect (Toronto's #1 coming into 2010). He would be a guy I'd much rather see added to the roster - young, cheap, starter - than a few of the guys added today.
    I'd be interested. Hell, he beat us.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cory Burns of the Padres was also DFA'd yesterday. He does not look like much but he can strike people out.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Zach Stewart would be a great guy to bring in. I like Plouffe as much as anyone, but his thumb and lack of sustained success would give a guy like Stewart a reason to come here.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Twins talk about brining in competition for Plouffe but maybe they can just use Jamey Carroll as his push at third. The Twins would most likely rather have Carroll in the middle infield picture but Gardenhire has used light hitting options at third in the past. Imaging Carroll as an older version of Nick Punto. It could be an option, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Zach Stewart would be a great guy to bring in. I like Plouffe as much as anyone, but his thumb and lack of sustained success would give a guy like Stewart a reason to come here.
    You're not thinking of Ian Stewart?....because Zach Stewart is a pitcher
    Last edited by Maverick; 11-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know some people will throw up on me for this suggestion. I'd like to see the Twins sign Jake Fox to a minor league deal and hope he still has a little pop in his bat. He can play third and he can play catcher and OF. Low BA but he can jack one and he would give the team a late inning RH bat off the bench if we need a dinger and be that emergency third catcher.

If it doesn't work out... Release him like everyone else has. If not Jake Fox... Someone like him... Power... can play 3B and catch if need be.

Im sure there is a reason he's been released multiple times but power like he has could be helpful. I can't think of anyone else who fits that description. That Pacheco kid from Colorado can play 3B and C but he doesn't have much power. I know I'm stretching a bit here.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    You're not thinking of Ian Stewart?....because Zach Stewart is a pitcher
    Yes, Ian Stewart. I always thought he would be decent in COL, never clicked for him.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

I do think Ian Stewart would be worth a flyer at the very least...especially if he has recovered from his wrist issues. Not that the Twins really need another left-handed bat.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I know some people will throw up on me for this suggestion. I'd like to see the Twins sign Jake Fox to a minor league deal and hope he still has a little pop in his bat. He can play third and he can play catcher and OF. Low BA but he can jack one and he would give the team a late inning RH bat off the bench if we need a dinger and be that emergency third catcher.

If it doesn't work out... Release him like everyone else has. If not Jake Fox... Someone like him... Power... can play 3B and catch if need be.

Im sure there is a reason he's been released multiple times but power like he has could be helpful. I can't think of anyone else who fits that description. That Pacheco kid from Colorado can play 3B and C but he doesn't have much power. I know I'm stretching a bit here.
    I would be ok with this. Guys like this can surprise you. Minor league contracts are essentially zero risk for the team