Thread: Twins Turkeys of the Year

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Turkeys of the Year

Over at the Star Tribune, Patrick Reusse handed out his annual Turkey of the Year awards. A couple of Twins-related people were mentioned as nominees. So, I ask you today... name you nominees for Twins Turkeys of 2012. Not just the names, but provide thoughtful reasoning.

I have to go with Ruesse's line of thinking on Terry Ryan. He's my Twins Turkey of the year. Came in to "fix things" and the team only recorded 3 more wins despite much better luck/health. His mis-judgement on the quality of pitching is inexcusable. The lack of movement at the trade deadline seems to show it's more of the same. His conservative approach might suit a team willing to build slowly, but the Twins are no longer the small market team he treats them as. So far, a month and 1/2 into the 2012 off-season we've seen some talk, but little action to show he plans on making the changes necessary. The re-shuffling of the coaching staff after two of the worst seasons in franchise history is just one more example...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand the general frustration with the 2012 Twins, but not some of the specific criticisms of TR.

I'm with him on the re-shuffling thing, I would have preferred a complete house-cleaning and fresh start.

But the Molitor thing is tired and overdone. He expressed interest, the Twins said no. A bit surprising, but I don't believe that a) he is such a clearly better choice than anyone on the current staff that it was a rippable offense not to hire him or b) being a popular local boy who had a great playing career means you're entitled to a job of your choice with the Twins organization upon request.

On a non-baseball note, the Seimone Augustus inclusion was kind of a cheap shot. 1 awful game in the finals in what was otherwise a great season should not get you lumped in with the likes of Danny Valencia. It was still a deeper playoff run than any we've seen from the local boys teams in the last few years, so I have a hard time with anyone from the Lynx on this list.

I too share general frustration with TR. but it is tempered by my assessment of just how far the organization declined under Bill Smith. Not just the player talent but the whole house. Add to terrible trades; horrible drafts, questionable training and medical care, poor minor league player development and a major league staff that seems not to have gotten the most out of what it had. More generally, I am one of those believers in the "Twins way". at least as it pertains to developing players that approach the game in a professional manner. I believe that TR wants to restore that.

Here's how I look at TR's. first year: came in and sent a message by replacing the AAA staff, made some solid acquisitions to professionalize the squad, cut bait on Nishi and Valencia and generally got the lay of the land. In the offseason he made a bold move and an even stronger statement by making coaching and training changes. He still hasn't addressed our player evaluation shortcomings but, in my mind, he's been pretty good so far to date. Now the heat is on and what he does during the next two months will go a long way toward my assessment of him.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Nishioka is not only the Twins turkey of the year, but the Twins turkey of all time.

Carl Pavano

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rick Anderson. Leader of one of the worst pitching staffs of all time. Unable to fix any of the starters that began with the Twins and were healthy(Liarino, Blackburn, Marquies). Only reason he was not replaced was his contract for this year. General regression of the Twins pitching staff.

Twins Turkeys:

I, too, can't figure out why Molitor isn't a coach. He's good enough to be a roving instructor, but not to replace Ullger? Go figure. I am glad to see Vavra still around, but would rather see him as the bench coach.

I can't blame Terry for the ill fortunes of the starting staff. The Twins started spring training with a rotation of Baker, Pavano, Blackburn, Liriano and Marquis. Easily would've pencilled 55-64 wins for the five. Except, they all went on the funk or got injured. We complain about he headcase of Liriano, but Blackburn had more downs than ups. Pavano broke down totally. Baker broke down period. Marquis had a rough spring training. Why he did a tad better in San Diego than Minnesota, well, at this point, sadly we paid his salary for most of the Padres victories. Diamond shined. Hendriks got his lumps but became victorious. Y'know, though...I wish we had put Terry Doyle in the far back of the bullpen rather than Gray or Maloney. A couple of those last minute 40-man roster additions eating up innings, and basically giving Zumaya an expensive looksee are the Ryan Turkey moves.

The Twins sucky bench. Looking for a pinch-hitter and the choices are Mastro, Butera, the odd infielder out, or coming up short because someone was always nursing an injury. Sometimes I wish a roster spot was "wasted" for Thome, except he was injured a bit this year, too.

The fan base. Support a winner, but Target Field IS NOT the draw. We all want great baseball, but the Twins did play half-way decently, getting men on base (but not home), showing some promise, and the atmosphere of the Target Field ballpark is still a joy. And considering you could get UNUSED SEASON TICKETS for as low as $10/5/1 for many a game......... All those season ticket sales, and unused tickets by holders, raised havok on the seats the Twins held back, which sat empty. At least the season ticket package for 2013 gives you 10% off concessions, and if you get a FULL PACKAGE, the possibility of paying outrageous prices for All-Star Game tickets.

The biggest Twins Turkey? That dreaded 50% we hear about, based on projected income, or past income, never really know.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Nick "Gopherball" Blackburn...........do I really need to elaborate?

Danny Valencia.

So terrible he was sent to Rochester and traded away for a 22 year old Rookie league OF.