Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Schoenfield's TWINS BLOCKBUSTER Trade Suggestion

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

Maybe you should call their GM up and let them know that before he trades off a shortstop for a closer.
    Thought they had the best bullpen in the NL. But yeah, MLBtraderumors said they'd trade a shortstop for a closer or leadoff hitter. My bad. Thanks for being a dick about it. That said, I'd be ok with trading Perkins for an everyday shortstop.
    Agreed. Doesnt make sense and no need to badger someone because u post alot and took a picture with DeNard one time

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say their GM is a little bit more reliable source than MLBTR. I figured you hadn't read the blurp the first time... and even though it might not make sense to us - though the Reds reportedly would like to move Chapman to the rotation - I'll take the GM at his word. (Though the last time I did that, TR said he didn't have eight players worth adding to the 40-man, so....)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I'd be fine with trading Perkins, but I doubt the Twins would be very high on that idea. I have been thinking about using Burton to sweeten the pot for a trade. He's only got one year of control left for the Twins, so he's not necessarily going to be around for a winning cycle. With his injury history, I'm not wild about giving him an extension just yet, so trading him makes a lot of sense. Keeping him only makes sense if the Twins are going to contend next year. Maybe the Reds would be interested in taking him back and think of him as a plausible closer....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Trading Perkins means listening to the howls of Gardenhire--"I need a closer!" This may result in another contract for Capps.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aren't the Reds still pondering turning Aroldis Chapman in to a starting pitcher? That would account for their interest in a new closer.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The GM comments about Chapman from MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

If they decide to put Chapman in the rotation, they will have several free agent options to pursue including Broxton and Madsen. They are familiar with both and neither will break the bank.

Therefore, they would not be desperate in making a move for Perkins with other options available. If they are not desperate, the return they would offer wouldn't likely be worthwhile.

Liked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't speak to all the names, but I could see a deal that looks like:

Hamilton + minor league starting arms for Willingham, Span and pieces.

The Reds would at least consider that. Willingham and Span give them the offensive list they need for the next two years without breaking the bank. In that ballpark, in that league, Willingham is a 40+ HR guy, provided he stays healthy. And Span, as we've talked about for months, is a great fit for that team.

Can Hamilton stay in the infield? Why was he moved?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I can't speak to all the names, but I could see a deal that looks like:

Hamilton + minor league starting arms for Willingham, Span and pieces.

The Reds would at least consider that. Willingham and Span give them the offensive list they need for the next two years without breaking the bank. In that ballpark, in that league, Willingham is a 40+ HR guy, provided he stays healthy. And Span, as we've talked about for months, is a great fit for that team.

Can Hamilton stay in the infield? Why was he moved?
    What I have read about Hamilton is that he just doesn't have the natural instincts and movements at shortstop. They seem to want to move him to center to utilize his speed a bit more. His arm is also below average in strength and accuracy. His speed would be wasted at second.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Trading Perkins means listening to the howls of Gardenhire--"I need a closer!" This may result in another contract for Capps.
    This is a really good point. I go back and forth on trading Perkins. He is cheap-ish, and has proved to Gardenhire that he can close games. If the Twins trade him, I would worry that they would replace him with a "proven closer" like Jose Valverde, which would be a downgrade in talent and probably cost more money. Ok, probably not Valverde specifically, but someone like that.

That being said, if anyone else who makes less money can close games, I'd shop Perkins to see what can be had for him.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you imagine the Reds lineup in that small ballpark with a leadoff hitter who gets on 36-37% of the time (Span) AND adding Josh Willingham's right-handed bat between Joey Votto and Jay Bruce?! Not to mention Brandon Phillips.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Can you imagine the Reds lineup in that small ballpark with a leadoff hitter who gets on 36-37% of the time (Span) AND adding Josh Willingham's right-handed bat between Joey Votto and Jay Bruce?! Not to mention Brandon Phillips.
    Terrifying, to say the least.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Would I trade a guy that pitches 60 innings a year for starting shortstop? Is that a really hard question for some to answer? Why not? If they do not get 3 legit starters, what good is a relief pitcher? As for the larger trade, I read that Hamilton is just not an infielder.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't see the Reds going for this deal unless they think they have to win the World Series next season. Adding Carroll and Willingham isn't exactly planning for the future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Would I trade a guy that pitches 60 innings a year for starting shortstop? Is that a really hard question for some to answer? Why not? If they do not get 3 legit starters, what good is a relief pitcher? As for the larger trade, I read that Hamilton is just not an infielder.
    The main reason they decided to move Hamilton to the OF was because they have Cozart and Didi Gregorius.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I have read both things, so I have no idea what is true. Does not matter, they are not making this deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12