Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Schoenfield's TWINS BLOCKBUSTER Trade Suggestion

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

David Schoenfield's TWINS BLOCKBUSTER Trade Suggestion

Here is his idea from an atricle on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...de-suggestions)\

Reds trade CF Billy Hamilton, C Devin Mescaro, RHP Mike Leake, RHP Sam Lecre and RHP Daniel Corcino to the Twins for CF Denard Span , LFJosh Willingham, IF Jamey Carrol and IF Daniel Santana.

Thoughts?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Only if Hamilton goes back to the infield. And that's a lot to give up for the Reds, IMO.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I don't get the point of trading Span and getting Billy Hamilton back. It's a sideways move and the Twins already have a center field logjam. I'd want a middle infielder instead.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Rockies signed RHP Jeff Manship to a minor league contract.

Manship was limited to 12 games with the Twins last season, but posted a 2.91 ERA in 80-plus innings at the Triple-A level. The deal is expected to include an invite to spring training.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Reds won't trade Hamilton or pitching so dream on.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    We could only be so lucky to have Hamilton as a part of our outfield logjam.

For starters.. check his stolen bases totals.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    That would be a steal for the Twins. Too good to happen. Taking off Willingham and Span's contracts would also free up a lot if money to use on a free agent starter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would put in some cash to help pay for Willingham and keep Daniel Santana.

The deal makes sense towards rebuilding until they trade a position player who was 21 in high A.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    'I don't get the point of trading Span and getting Billy Hamilton back. It's a sideways move and the Twins already have a center field logjam. I'd want a middle infielder instead.'

Hamilton is a shortstop...they are moving him to OF, but he's played 311 games at shortstop, 50 or so at 2B and zero in the OF. We wouldn't have to have him in the OF...and y'all know how much Gardy loves speedy middle IFs...

What is the real plus for the Reds?
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    That trade makes no sense for the Reds.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Reds need a leadoff hitter and a CF very badly. Their leadoff hitters had a sub .300 OBP last year. They also need another corner outfielder or resign Ludwick. Willingham would be a better/cheaper option and would probably hit 40 HR in that park. The Reds are really just giving up some prospects in a win-now trade. It makes sense although none of these type of trades ever happen. I'd be happy to leave Hamilton out and add another pitcher but it's not an absurd trade proposal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Reds need a leadoff hitter and a CF very badly. Their leadoff hitters had a sub .300 OBP last year. They also need another corner outfielder or resign Ludwick. Willingham would be a better/cheaper option and would probably hit 40 HR in that park. The Reds are really just giving up some prospects in a win-now trade. It makes sense although none of these type of trades ever happen. I'd be happy to leave Hamilton out and add another pitcher but it's not an absurd trade proposal.
    I certainly agree. The only way they Reds make this trade is if they are all in to win now. I as well would not mind removing Hamilton and adding a pitcher who has more upside than the ones proposed. The pitchers who the Reds would be giving up are solid 3's or 4's at best. I think if we removed Hamilton the reds could possibly throw in a pitcher with the upside of a soild number 2. I dont think we need Hamilton either giving he is a CF now, if he was a SS or 2nd baseman this would be an amazing trade but we have such a log jam we dont need him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    The return isn't worth it at all for the Reds.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fact that I look at those names and would make that trade in a heartbeat makes it pretty apparent it's too good of a deal for the Twins.

If the Twins were to get Hamilton, though, he could stay in the infield. Part of the reason he got moved is because the Reds have two SSs (Cozart and Gregorius) were can stick there and a 2B tied up for the long term (Phillips). Personally, I'd play Hamilton at second base. He doesn't have the arm for the outfield, but his speed makes up for it. Sound familiar?

Now, if the Twins were to include a better prospect than Santana... Arcia? Rosario? Then I think the Reds would have to consider it.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    How about this quote:

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty made things interesting last week when he told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the Reds could trade one of their young shortstops (Gregorius will be 23, Cozart 27) if the deal could bring Cincinnati a leadoff-hitting outfielder or a closer.
    Would you deal Glen Perkins for Didi Gregorius?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    How about this quote:

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty made things interesting last week when he told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the Reds could trade one of their young shortstops (Gregorius will be 23, Cozart 27) if the deal could bring Cincinnati a leadoff-hitting outfielder or a closer.
    I would but the Reds don't need bullpen help.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I can't see the Reds trading that much talent for the Twins mentioned. Including Carroll--sand to the Sahara, pee in the lake, etc.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    How about this quote:

I would but the Reds don't need bullpen help.
    Maybe you should call their GM up and let them know that before he trades off a shortstop for a closer.

Senior Member All-Star

Maybe you should call their GM up and let them know that before he trades off a shortstop for a closer.
    Thought they had the best bullpen in the NL. But yeah, MLBtraderumors said they'd trade a shortstop for a closer or leadoff hitter. My bad. Thanks for being a dick about it. That said, I'd be ok with trading Perkins for an everyday shortstop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast