Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Article: Twins Offseason By The Numbers

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,298
    Like
    1
    Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231

    Article: Twins Offseason By The Numbers


  2. #2
    The dearth of activity in this off-season has been excruciatingly painful. This was punctuated by the lead story that David Freese crashed into a tree to avoid hitting a deer.

  3. #3

    More numbers

    Here are some more numbers.

    2 - Denard Span's uniform number. Someone else may well be wearing the number next year.*

    6-2 - The height of both Aaron Hicks and Josh Willingham, both of whom could be patrolling the outfield for the Twins next year. Some are suggesting Willingham will be traded; I think that would be a PR nightmare. Furthermore, I don't see how the Twins can keep Hicks out of the major leagues next year.

    3 - The number of starting pitchers the team says it's looking for this offseason. The Twins will be fortunate if they get two top-of-the-rotation types this offseason.*

    30 - The number of homeruns Justin Morneau hit in 2009, the last season he was in the Metrodome. *Target Field has not been as kind to Morneau as it has to Willingham but then Willingham is a righty, and Morneau a lefty. But that doesn't mean Morneau couldn't return to that form in 81 games in 2010, he hit 18 home runs, one short of what he did in 2012 in 134 games.*

    Just goes to show - some numbers are worth remembering.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    123
    Like
    0
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    I like Lee's bit above so I have some numbers too ;-)

    20% - The percent of starting pitchers (6/30) that were described in the Twins Offseason Handbook who are no longer on the market. Are 50% of the available pitchers off the market before free agency really "starts" for the Twins?

    5.5 - A number that is going to start looking a lot better later this year when we start seeing what guys like Joe Saunders, Jeff Francis, Kevin Millwood, ect... start getting if Guthrie's contract is any indicator.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,576
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    100 billion is a conservative estimate of how many neurons there are in a brain. The exact number that were moved to now different spots in Morneau's brain is unknown. It is, however, a good reason to not hit as well as he used to.

  6. #6
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,298
    Like
    1
    Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231
    3 + ?

    The numbers of Mr. Smarty Pants we have at Twins Daily who are capable of continuing this bit. I'll be interested to see how high that number climbs.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post

    3 - The number of starting pitchers the team says it's looking for this offseason. The Twins will be fortunate if they get two top-of-the-rotation types this offseason.*
    We're not going to get ANY top-of-the-rotation types...

  8. #8
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,938
    Like
    477
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    100 billion is a conservative estimate of how many neurons there are in a brain. The exact number that were moved to now different spots in Morneau's brain is unknown. It is, however, a good reason to not hit as well as he used to.
    Evidence of Absence? You can't prove a negative.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,625
    Like
    513
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    You can only prove a negative.....the entire basis of science is proving what is not true, narrowing down what is likely true.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,576
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    100 billion is a conservative estimate of how many neurons there are in a brain. The exact number that were moved to now different spots in Morneau's brain is unknown. It is, however, a good reason to not hit as well as he used to.
    Evidence of Absence? You can't prove a negative.
    With neurology a lot of times all you have is evidence of absence after an event.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.