Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scott Feldman, the Cubs, and how Theo Epstien is making Terry Ryan's life miserable

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Remind me the last time the Royals or Cubs were relevant?
    I know in your ducky and bunny universe the Twins are on some pedestal above these teams, but I might remind you to check the standings. Past success has little to do with the future of this team and the moves they should be making with that in mind.

But that's ok....If (more likely when based on past history) Terry Ryan doesn't sign anyone and his reasoning is that none of the players were in a price range they felt "comfortable" with - just make sure you come to his defense.
    He won't, he'll just act like it never happened in ducky/bunnyland, but the guy with the thing for birds sure will.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I don't care about Theo either who basically lucked into those teams (with Ortiz and Manny in the lineup)
    Yeah, what a stroke of luck for rookie GM Theo Epstein, finding a dusty, forgotten, long-time Red Sock David Ortiz rotting away in a broom closet in the bowels of Fenway Park a couple of months after taking over.

Oh, wait, Epstein signed him after Ryan decided he had no use for a designated hitter who could actually hit.

But having All Stars like Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester, and Clay Buchholz all make the team as walk-ons who just sort of showed up at spring training they way they did, Theo totally lucked out with those guys.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, he picked all of them in the first or second round of the amateur draft.

Sorry, totally meant to play along in your game of 'portray widely respected GM as lucky rube', but my examples weren't very good.
    Epic, utter Takedown

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    jokin, I will be there to criticise Ryan if he fails to procure two #2-3 starters, via trade and FA signings, between now and the start of the season. I said as much earlier in this thread.

Of course, that won't stop you from predicting that I'll defend Ryan regardless, because that's just who you are.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I agree, Leviathan, that the Cubs are smart for signing Feldman and Baker. But this would ONLY make sense for the Twins if they were supplemental signings. They need two #2-3 starters. Not much need for two more #4-5 starters. Diamond is better than both those guys, and we need two guys who are better than Diamond.
    Frankly, I don't see why the Twins are all that much different than the Cubs in how they should approach things. If you're waiting around to sign players better than Diamond join the rest of the league in that battle. I can appreciate what you want the team to do, just can't get on board with something I find highly unlikely to happen.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree, Leviathan, that the Cubs are smart for signing Feldman and Baker. But this would ONLY make sense for the Twins if they were supplemental signings. They need two #2-3 starters. Not much need for two more #4-5 starters. Diamond is better than both those guys, and we need two guys who are better than Diamond.
    Frankly, I don't see why the Twins are all that much different than the Cubs in how they should approach things. If you're waiting around to sign players better than Diamond join the rest of the league in that battle. I can appreciate what you want the team to do, just can't get on board with something I find highly unlikely to happen.
    The Cubs have more money. A lot more money.

They've spent $11.5m on two fringe starters. There's a good chance Ryan doesn't have much more than that to spend, period. I'd rather see Ryan pursue one quality guy than two short-term bums.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

They've spent $11.5m on two fringe starters. There's a good chance Ryan doesn't have much more than that to spend, period. I'd rather see Ryan pursue one quality guy than two short-term bums.
    That's fine - but then you have to realize the issue with this deal is not that he was overpaid, but that he wasn't what you want. That isn't what others are saying. What this indicates, without question, is that the one guy you want is going to take a LOT of money to sign. So deals like this make sense for a to make if it doesn't want to hamstring itself long-term.

Also, this team needs quantity and quality, so there is something to be said for taking low-risk moves that could pay off. These guys might both be "bums" or they could end up being solid bargains with attractive trade value for a team continuing to rebuild a bad farm.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Just my opinion based on what Ryan has indicated: 1) it's very possible that Ryan DOES have the money to spend on a #2-3 FA starter, whtever market, and 2) despite his penurious past history, Ryan is very possibly highly motivated to add non-fringe ptchers as opposed to the Feldman types.

I know this flies in the face of past history, so I understand and respect the doubt and skepticism. I just believe th economics have changed enough that we could (and should) be pleasantly surprised by what Ryan does this winter. And of cours, jokinwill then sing Ryan's praises from the rooftops.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Just my opinion based on what Ryan has indicated: 1) it's very possible that Ryan DOES have the money to spend on a #2-3 FA starter, whtever market, and 2) despite his penurious past history, Ryan is very possibly highly motivated to add non-fringe ptchers as opposed to the Feldman types.

I know this flies in the face of past history, so I understand and respect the doubt and skepticism. I just believe th economics have changed enough that we could (and should) be pleasantly surprised by what Ryan does this winter. And of cours, jokinwill then sing Ryan's praises from the rooftops.
    Past is Prologue. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath and expectantly warming up my vocal cords for the "praise-singing"...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nothin is happen because the big guns haven't come up yet. it' just testing the waters.. Haven't any of you done auction drafts? Haven't any of you made trades? I have made thousands of them.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

That's fine - but then you have to realize the issue with this deal is not that he was overpaid, but that he wasn't what you want. That isn't what others are saying. What this indicates, without question, is that the one guy you want is going to take a LOT of money to sign. So deals like this make sense for a to make if it doesn't want to hamstring itself long-term.

Also, this team needs quantity and quality, so there is something to be said for taking low-risk moves that could pay off. These guys might both be "bums" or they could end up being solid bargains with attractive trade value for a team continuing to rebuild a bad farm.
    We've gone one full year with the "new" regime and everything old is new again. Crying poor and TR competing with a torn and tattered rule book well past it's expiration date. What you are advocating for is quite logical, and was logical a year ago- and many of us proposed such an approach then. Is there any indication whatsoever that they've yet figured this out down at One Twins Way? Or is there only just one Twins way- the "penurious" path on which birdwatcher loves treading.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Nothin is happen because the big guns haven't come up yet. it' just testing the waters.. Haven't any of you done auction drafts? Haven't any of you made trades? I have made thousands of them.
    TR should have spent the last 3 months getting his ducks in a row and picking off the low-hanging fruit in the month of November to show the league and the fanbase the seriousness of his intent. As another poster just said, this club needs both quantity and quality. A couple of legit, albeit lower-impact major leaguers should already be on the 2013 roster via trade or FA.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    jokin, I will be there to criticise Ryan if he fails to procure two #2-3 starters, via trade and FA signings, between now and the start of the season. I said as much earlier in this thread.

Of course, that won't stop you from predicting that I'll defend Ryan regardless, because that's just who you are.
    You do realize that acquiring two front-end starters with the approach this club takes is next to impossible, right? I am standing by my prediction of an ~$85M payroll. What say you? Two F/End starter acquisitions would push the payroll well past $100M. Do you really see this happening without gutting the team elsewhere on the roster? It's just not the penurious one's style now, is it?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 567 Times in 371 Posts
    The Twins have plenty of money, they just choose to allocate it differently than the Cubs. There is plenty of money for this payroll to be higher, they have chosen (based on last year) not to spend it on the MLB club salaries.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

We've gone one full year with the "new" regime and everything old is new again. Crying poor and TR competing with a torn and tattered rule book well past it's expiration date. What you are advocating for is quite logical, and was logical a year ago- and many of us proposed such an approach then. Is there any indication whatsoever that they've yet figured this out down at One Twins Way? Or is there only just one Twins way- the "penurious" path on which birdwatcher loves treading.
    Who's crying poor? The Cubs have more money than the Twins. That's all there is to it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

Who's crying poor? The Cubs have more money than the Twins. That's all there is to it.
    I thought we fixed the "compete with the big dogs" problem with TF? Your comment sounds like we've time-traveled back to the thrilling days of the Plasti-dome Era.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    TR should have spent the last 3 months getting his ducks in a row and picking off the low-hanging fruit in the month of November to show the league and the fanbase the seriousness of his intent. As another poster just said, this club needs both quantity and quality. A couple of legit, albeit lower-impact major leaguers should already be on the 2013 roster via trade or FA.
    That Baker signed elsewhere implies either of the following to me: a) Ryan has seriously underestimated the price of starting pitching or b) every pitcher that receives "a final offer from the Twins "will immediately shop it" and sign elsewhere for slightly more, thus forcing the Twins to make "a blow-away" offer in order to sign a pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I have played fantasy baseball since 1973 and football since 1982 sometimes in 10 different leagues. Ryan should have made the Marlin, Jays trade but maybe he couldn't, his time will come soon.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    That Baker signed elsewhere implies either of the following to me: a) Ryan has seriously underestimated the price of starting pitching or b) every pitcher that receives "a final offer from the Twins "will immediately shop it" and sign elsewhere for slightly more, thus forcing the Twins to make "a blow-away" offer in order to sign a pitcher.
    Good points. I'd amend "a" by stating this club has had a serious dis-ability in OVER-estimating the value of their existing starting pitching (Pavano, Blackburn, Marquis, et al)

In regard to Baker, I'd add: c) The club burned any lingering goodwill bridges with how they handled Big Spot Scott and his injury.
    Last edited by jokin; 11-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I thought we fixed the "compete with the big dogs" problem with TF? Your comment sounds like we've time-traveled back to the thrilling days of the Plasti-dome Era.
    You're totally right. The Twins are now on par with the Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, and Cubs.

I don't know what I was thinking, pointing out that some teams have more money to spend on risky free agent-types.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 567 Times in 371 Posts
    1 year deal for $6MM is risky? What would not be risky?

And, they have $25MM more in income coming next year, cost free. And Morneau's deal ends after this year. They have plenty of money if only they want to spend it. We'll see over the next few weeks....
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast