Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edes: Red Sox should trade for Joe Mauer

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Correct, I think if they win 90+ games, without Mauer, they will make more money than if they lose 90+ games with Mauer. I am about 95% certain I am correct on that. But again, I was quite clear, they would not get that benefit of the doubt unless they used the freed up money to sign 2 legit starting pitchers (or SS or 2B or whatever). If they pocket it, not good. I made that very clear in my post.

Fans will forgive losing Mauer if they win, but they are less and less likely to forgive them for being the worst team in the majors with Mauer.

As for everyone posting this will never happen, and it is an east coast writer being a whatever, sure....but that's a boring post, imo. Much more interesting is discussing what you would or would not require if it were possible.
    There are more male baseball fans than female, yet when you go to Target Field, the male/female ratio is pretty even. Among the females attending the games, it seems like half are wearing a pink Mauer jersey and the other half are holding up 'Marry me Mauer' signs. Attendance would suffer.

Die hard baseball fans who populate sites like this and waste our time analyzing stats on Fangraphs, contracts on Cot's and scream at each other about who should be the 25th man on the roster only make up a small percentage of the people who attend the games

I'd trade both Mauer and Morneau to the Red Sox for:

Ryan Lavaranway
    Will Middlebrooks
    Xander Bogaerts

and 1 or 2 of:
    Matt Barnes
    Allen Webster
    Anthony Ranaudo

If the Twins made this move, I think they'd have to trade Span and Willingham in order to build a team that could blossom together. Maybe package them to Atlanta for Delgado and Teheran or to the Mariners for Hultzen and Paxton. With all of these moves, our 2014 roster would look something like this:

CF Revere
    LF Hicks
    3B Middlebrooks
    1B Parmalee
    DH Sano
    RF Arcia
    SS Bogaerts
    C Lavaranway
    2B Rosario

SP Hultzen
    SP Gibson
    SP Paxton
    SP Diamond
    SP Barnes

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Correct, I think if they win 90+ games, without Mauer, they will make more money than if they lose 90+ games with Mauer. I am about 95% certain I am correct on that. But again, I was quite clear, they would not get that benefit of the doubt unless they used the freed up money to sign 2 legit starting pitchers (or SS or 2B or whatever). If they pocket it, not good. I made that very clear in my post.

Fans will forgive losing Mauer if they win, but they are less and less likely to forgive them for being the worst team in the majors with Mauer.

As for everyone posting this will never happen, and it is an east coast writer being a whatever, sure....but that's a boring post, imo. Much more interesting is discussing what you would or would not require if it were possible.
    There are more male baseball fans than female, yet when you go to Target Field, the male/female ratio is pretty even. Among the females attending the games, it seems like half are wearing a pink Mauer jersey and the other half are holding up 'Marry me Mauer' signs. Attendance would suffer.

Die hard baseball fans who populate sites like this and waste our time analyzing stats on Fangraphs, contracts on Cot's and scream at each other about who should be the 25th man on the roster only make up a small percentage of the people who attend the games
    Indeed

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They could always trade Mauer for Valencia.

I'll be here all nigh folks.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    For every fan that pays to see Mauer, how many more would go if this team was great without Mauer....this is not about hard core fans like on this site at all....this is about casual fans. I am certain that in a city this size that if the Twins were great, they would sell out every game.....clearly many of you disagree....and I am now bored of this part of the topic.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure the PR hit would be of Biblical proportions if Mauer was traded, even if Boston gave up their top 10 prospects to take him, took on Nick BlackBurn, and picked up all of Mauer's salary...

I agree that no one should be off the table, but I highly doubt that Boston would be willing to give up what it would take to get Ryan to take the hit.... call me crazy.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 850 Times in 546 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Its also interesting that Bill James, of Bill James projections, who is projecting Mauer to hit 317/407/452 next year, is a "senior advisor on baseball operations" for the Red Sox. Maybe he is sandbagging Mauer's 2013 projection so that the Twins FO will see that and expect less return in any trade negotiations?

Bad joke, I apologize.
    Really bad, as Terry Ryan's first response would be: Bill Who?

Liked 1,284 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

Isn't his forthcoming marriage going to put a dent in this anyway??

Eye candy is easy to find. Drew Butera is great eye candy but I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Twins keep him around for that reason.

Recall the hit in attendance the Twins took when Griffith fired Billy Martin? Losing fan favorites does have a risk to hammer attendance.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I think it makes total sense for both teams to move Mauer to Boston, Boston gives Mauer the best of both worlds, a chance to win, and a chance to be one of the best hitters ever with the short left field. Face it, at this point Mauer isn't going change his swing any time soon, he bats in the 3 hole in the lineup, and doesn't hit for power, if he hits off the wall in Boston the 3 hole is perfect for him. We can dump a lot of salary, with the signing of Meyer, get a couple high profile pitchers in a trade from Boston we have a legitimate roster building in the right direction. We have 30 million to work with now, imagine 53 million to add a middle infielder, and a starting rotation. Think about this as options, sign AJ back, add Scutaro, while signing Sanchez, Brandon McCarthy. I would way rather see something like that then keeping Mauer around. Imagine

Revere
    Scutaro
    Morneau
    Willingham
    Parmalee
    AJ
    Plouffe
    Doumit
    Florimon

Sanchez
    McCarthy
    Diamond
    Villanueva
    Gibson/Hendriks/Deduno

That would be fun wouldn't it!!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 850 Times in 546 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rogrulz30 View Post
    I think it makes total sense for both teams to move Mauer to Boston, Boston gives Mauer the best of both worlds, a chance to win, and a chance to be one of the best hitters ever with the short left field. Face it, at this point Mauer isn't going change his swing any time soon, he bats in the 3 hole in the lineup, and doesn't hit for power, if he hits off the wall in Boston the 3 hole is perfect for him. We can dump a lot of salary, with the signing of Meyer, get a couple high profile pitchers in a trade from Boston we have a legitimate roster building in the right direction. We have 30 million to work with now, imagine 53 million to add a middle infielder, and a starting rotation. Think about this as options, sign AJ back, add Scutaro, while signing Sanchez, Brandon McCarthy. I would way rather see something like that then keeping Mauer around. Imagine

Revere
    Scutaro
    Morneau
    Willingham
    Parmalee
    AJ
    Plouffe
    Doumit
    Florimon

Sanchez
    McCarthy
    Diamond
    Villanueva
    Gibson/Hendriks/Deduno

That would be fun wouldn't it!!
    I like where you're headed here. Earlier I proposed a deal that would include Lester and Bogaerts(SS). This would make your proposed lineup even more fun!

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    Recall the hit in attendance the Twins took when Griffith fired Billy Martin? Losing fan favorites does have a risk to hammer attendance.
    I usually write off fan reaction to player moves as overrated, but this is an interesting counter example I had not thought of.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Joe Mauer played for Boston, they'd have to rename the Green Monster to something nicer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12