Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Braves Signing Upton Hurts Twins' Trade Options

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 156 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Braves Signing Upton Hurts Twins' Trade Options

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Or we could remain level-headed. There is no evidence that the Braves were willing to give up much of value to the Twins for Span. Hopefully the Reds are willing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Or we could remain level-headed. There is no evidence that the Braves were willing to give up much of value to the Twins for Span. Hopefully the Reds are willing.
    Im really just not that interested in trading with the Reds. Im hoping The Rays...but they have a pretty smart front office and likely will say no to the Twins demands for Span similar to the Braves.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Might the Phillies be looking for a CF as well?

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Im really just not that interested in trading with the Reds. Im hoping The Rays...but they have a pretty smart front office and likely will say no to the Twins demands for Span similar to the Braves.
    I would be happy with the Rays, as well. But like you siad, they have a very smart front office. Probably best in baseball. I don't see us getting the better end of that deal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post

I would be happy with the Rays, as well. But like you siad, they have a very smart front office. Probably best in baseball. I don't see us getting the better end of that deal.

I honestly think if we trade Span most people are going to be upset at what we receive for him. Right now the Twins I have heard are asking for a haul for Span.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    As your options shrink, your return usually shrinks. It's simple economics.....so ya, this is another bump in the offseason.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Nooooooooooooooooo myself

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Allhope,
    you've mentioned that the Twins are asking for a haul foe Span, and you've mentioned that the Braves turned down the Twins based on their demands for Span.

Just curious. Who's your source? thrylos?

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Braves don't have to be out of the running with the signing of Upton. They still have an OF need and value is still value. Does it knock down the need for an OF'er? Yes but Span would still be a nice leadoff hitter fit for the Braves... Upton is not a leadoff guy.

The other side of the coin obviously. It takes one option off the table for all the other teams that could use a CF.

Yes... I'd like some of that Atlanta pitching but as names come off the board... Theoretically... Spans value should increase.

Theoretically means nothing because I'm making these theories from North Dakota.

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did Ryan wait too long here?

Seems like he did. I am sure the Braves offered some folks to him as they had incentive to save the 8 Million difference that Span would have brought them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Alas we will never know what was asked for and what was offered. These kind of details often get leaked, but never with the Twins. I'd still like to know what the snag was in the Span to the Reds deal last July.

It's also been mentioned that ATL may still be in the market for Span even though Upton was signed. It sounds unlikely, but given Span's team friendly deal, he could be attractive enough to make it a Span for middle IF deal instead. ATL has some stellar young SS.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    The ATL ship has set sail folks, and the Twins still haven't acquired any pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Atlanta still needs offense and a LF'er so this ship hasn't completely sailed although it might be Willingham that gets traded. I don't have a problem with that as long as it's a decent return.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Allhope,
    you've mentioned that the Twins are asking for a haul foe Span, and you've mentioned that the Braves turned down the Twins based on their demands for Span.

Just curious. Who's your source? thrylos?
    Ken Rosenthal reported that the Braves were interested in both Upton and Span but talks with Twins failed to progress.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is no reason to hit the button. The Braves are out for Span but Upton is now off the market, so the other teams interested in Upton are now more interested in Span. The number one thing the team needs is a true Ace. A number one starter is essential. I am on the sign Grienke bandwagon. I hope people jump on this wagon and get the cheapest GM in the business to go out and sign Grienke or he is going to pick up 3 or 4 bottom of the rotation guys and we will lose 90 plus again. An ace for the staff turns this from a 90+ loss to a 90+ win team. It is sooooo important to have a true ace on the staff. We cant let TR get away with 5 mid level starters or we will never compete in our division.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Why trade pitching when you can sign a free agent? Twins will just have to wait on Span.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    The fact that Upton was an FA (along w Bourn) hurt Span's trade value. That Upton signed with a potential Span suitor was always a given! Another way to look at it is that those other teams in search of a CFer have fewer options. Span's value is at the very least nebulous.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 11-29-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Rodney you are so right! we need a ace for the long-term, so do it now, why put if off?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast