Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins trade Denard Span for Nationals' 2011 first round pick

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins trade Denard Span for Nationals' 2011 first round pick

Meyer.jpgAccording to Ben Goessling, the Twins have traded Denard Span for pitcher Alex Meyer.

The big bodied Meyer, 6'9" and 220, spent last year split between A and High-A, striking out 26.6% of batters faced and walking just 8.6%.

Fangraphs.com had an excellent write-up on Meyer, noting that his 97-98 MPH fastball is very impressive in addition to his slider - which Baseball America consider the system's best after the 2011 season. Here's Mike Newman's (Scouting the Sally) scouting report on Meyer's secondary stuff:

Meyer mixed in an upper-80′s slider with tight, late break. At its best, his arm action was identical to that of his fastball and it profiled as at least an above-average pitch. However, Meyer’s inconsistent mechanics caused him to intermittently drop his elbow or collapse his back leg leading to at least a handful of “hangers” up in the zone. Repetition and experience may help to iron these issues out, but once again, Meyer’s size and previous track record leaves questions as to how seamless those adjustments will be.

The most surprising aspect of Meyer’s outing was a changeup which was significantly better than expected. At 87-88 MPH, it was a harder change, but his arm action and late drop leaves the projection of an average third pitch — a key for projecting a starting pitcher. Once again, his command was inconsistent causing him to leave the pitch up and out to right-handed hitters too often, but it’s a strong starting point to build from.

Newman went on to say that the name that popped into his head the most was "Matt Clement" - a promising pitcher who never lived up to the hype.
    @OverTheBaggy

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Goodbye Denard. Good luck in Washington.
    Now, let's see how this kid pitches. Please, this better not be another terrible trade!

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    delete
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 11-29-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    he's a tall one. 6' 9"

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Code:

W L W-L%  ERA  G GS GF CG SHO SV    IP  H  R ER HR BB IBB  SO HBP BK WP  BF  WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
    10 6 .625 2.86 25 25  0  1   1  0 129.0 97 44 41  6 45   0 139   5  0  9 521 1.101 6.8  0.4  3.1  9.7  3.09

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 11/29/2012.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If true, you have to like this move. The market on Denard was unfortunately weak (and for no good reason, really). Receiving a fireballer like Meyer is a huge get.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Ok, TR made the trade. Not looking at 2013 for a trade for the future.

I like Meyer's potential but I thought the twins were going to go after somebody young who could help the team this year and years to come

Good get!!!

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins trade Denard Span for Nationals' 2011 first round pick

@OverTheBaggy

So we now know we're not building towards 2013. There was always this implied "two good starters and we're in it" vibe and this belies that. As much as that seems obvious, if they'd managed to land, say, Santana, McCarthy *and* Meyers there would have been a real shot at .500. Trading top chip Span for non-2013 talent says not to hold your breath for the others either.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Payroll went down some more!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I can live with this. We just have to trust that our scouts did their job and that he has a good chance to continue his progression and quickly move his way through the organization. As usual, only time will tell if this is a good trade.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously not a suprise...the trade of Span or his destination. Hard thrower with upside which are both needs for this org.. Don't follow the minors enough to know anything about this guy except what i read.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    I guess this is the right direction.

How many years before Meyer gets a September call-up?

A starter with top of the rotation potential who's a year away is better than a number 3 who's ready now. I'm good with this trade. Now sign some pitchers for this year with the money saved!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    He's definitely not a "pitch to contact" guy. Upper 90's fastball with an upper 80's slider. Let's just hope he doesn't have a history of arm problems.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I am a huge fan of this move!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like it. Trading from a position of excess to fill a void. Makes too much sense not to do it. Here's hoping this guy develops into a Major Leaguer in the next couple years.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I've seen him ranked as either the Nats #2 or #3 prospect. On this surface it looks like we got really good value for Span, even if it's a pitcher that won't be ready until 2014. Although I have to wonder if he'll be put on the 40 man, start in AA and be a possibility for a September call up next year.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast