Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins trade Denard Span for Nationals' 2011 first round pick

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ....And we all know that Bill Smith would have traded him for Kurt Suzuki, so I think we did ok here.

Great move, we have tons of outfielders....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Span will be missed in 2013, but we are looking to 2014 and beyond with this move.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who goes next? Willingham and Morneau at the Winter Meetings?
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love this move. We really did need to add to our pitching prospects due to the fact have 1 or 2 legit pitching prospects right now. I believe this is TR saying we are going to win this year, but we are building to have a good team in 2014/15. A guy who pitches in the high 90s? Get out of town? Crazy they didnt get a guy who throws a 90mph FB and has an average change up and a curve.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Who goes next? Willingham and Morneau at the Winter Meetings?
    You have to believe so. Willingham is likely at his peak in terms of value and Morneau might not be, but if we are building for 2014/15 you have to believe we will be hear a bunch of rumors/ posts on this website of possible destinations.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    1. Sano
    2. Buxton
    3. Hicks
    4. Meyer
    5. Arcia
    6. Gibson
    7. Rosario

Not a bad farm system.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the kind of trade with which I trust Terry Ryan. Trading an established guy for a lower level minor league guy with some upside. I don't know if Meyer is more than a "C" prospect at this point, and his real test should come when he gets to AA next year, but that may be why he's available.

I am disappointed that the Twins didn't get any pitching or middle infielders to help them next year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    1. Sano
    2. Buxton
    3. Hicks
    4. Meyer
    5. Arcia
    6. Rosario
    7. Gibson

Not a bad farm system.
    Considering our farm system was one of the worst ranked a couple year back it doesnt look to bad at all.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hope this works out

The Twins need some potential elite pitching - and I think 2015 looks more likely for a guy currently in high-A Ball. They have a glut of talent in the outfield. This trade makes uber-sense. Pitchers can blow out their arms, and that may happen with this guy. BUT, that doesn't mean the Twins shouldn't stock up on potentially good and great pitching. An outfield of Parmalee in right, Revere in Center and Willingham in right is not much of a downgrade (especially if Revere's arm continues to show growing strength). Other good (maybe great) outfielders waiting in the wings.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Meyer’s a bit of a lottery ticket. Legitimate upside, legitimate concerns about his future role, and at least another year of development before he’s ready to contribute in Minnesota. Meyer’s a Top 100 prospect, and if you think he’ll stick as a starter, probably a Top 50 guy. The Twins got a real talent back in return for Span, but it’s a talent with too many question marks to be the piece they’re getting back in return for a three win player under team control at a fraction of his market price.
    Fangraphs likes the trade a lot more for the Nats, however.

Span for a top 50 prospect seems totally reasonable; I can't imagine the Twins acquiring Meyer if they don't he will start.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Great stuff. This lowered the payroll, acquired a young arm, and made room for younger players while not sacrificing any prospects. There are never guarantees but this looks like a great move.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    This is the kind of trade with which I trust Terry Ryan. Trading an established guy for a lower level minor league guy with some upside. I don't know if Meyer is more than a "C" prospect at this point, and his real test should come when he gets to AA next year, but that may be why he's available.

I am disappointed that the Twins didn't get any pitching or middle infielders to help them next year.
    How could you call Meyer a "C" prospect, the guy hits 98 MPH as a starter and looks to have 3 plus pitches (not to mention size, good minor league results etc)? He was widely considered the 2nd best prospect heading into 2013 of the Nats farm class.

Meyer is clearly the best pitching prospect the Twins have and ranks somewhere between Hicks and Arcia but ahead of Rosario and Gibson, you wouldn't call those guys C prospects right??

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ill go

1. Sano
    2. Arcia
    3. Rosario
    4. Buxton
    5. Meyer
    6. Hicks
    7. Gibson
    8. Kepler
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Wow, surprising it's not a more MLB ready SP like Delgado or Leake, neither of whom I was all that excited about. Good to see we just added our future potential #1. God bless Span, he's a great guy and a really good baseball player and he'll definitely be missed but this was best for all parties. I'm shocked this move didn't happen at the Winter Meetings but maybe TR has something else cooking for Willingham and/or Morneau. Still 3-4 spots left to fill in the rotation, what's going to happen next???

Sickels had him as a B in his 2012 book - FWIW

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

How could you call Meyer a "C" prospect, the guy hits 98 MPH as a starter and looks to have 3 plus pitches (not to mention size, good minor league results etc)? He was widely considered the 2nd best prospect heading into 2013 of the Nats farm class.

Meyer is clearly the best pitching prospect the Twins have and ranks somewhere between Hicks and Arcia but ahead of Rosario and Gibson, you wouldn't call those guys C prospects right??

Not to get all "Deadspin" on you Dave, but +1. How is a team's #2/#3 prospect be considered a "C" prospect???

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Meyer’s a bit of a lottery ticket. Legitimate upside, legitimate concerns about his future role, and at least another year of development before he’s ready to contribute in Minnesota. Meyer’s a Top 100 prospect, and if you think he’ll stick as a starter, probably a Top 50 guy. The Twins got a real talent back in return for Span, but it’s a talent with too many question marks to be the piece they’re getting back in return for a three win player under team control at a fraction of his market price.
    Fangraphs likes the trade a lot more for the Nats, however.

Span for a top 50 prospect seems totally reasonable; I can't imagine the Twins acquiring Meyer if they don't he will start.
    That's because Cameron is strictly a numbers guy (unless it comes to his beloved Mariners of course)

Yes, Span had a very impressive WAR that was bolstered by a very strong UZR. But lets be honest, Span benefited a TON in 2011 and 2012 from having Revere in the OF as well. Notice how his UZR in CF doubled from 2010 to 2011/2012?

This isn't saying Span isn't a good CF, just that he isn't as great as the defensive metrics would lead you to believe. The Twins did the right thing in this case by trading him while his value was high, as much as I like Span he did have his warts, injury issues for one, and in both 2010 and 2011 he failed to reach a .690 OPS.

I think its a very fair trade, and if Meyer can reach his potential or anything close it ends up a win for the Twins since:

1. They have a stop gap CF in Revere.
    2. They have a couple stud CF's who should be ready within a year or two.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big City View Post
    Wow, surprising it's not a more MLB ready SP like Delgado or Leake, neither of whom I was all that excited about. Good to see we just added our future potential #1.
    Is Meyer projected as a potential number 1?

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Bonnes has been spending too much time with Cory Cove....a "C" prospect???

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast