Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Casilla avoids arbitration, signs with Orioles

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries

Casilla avoids arbitration, signs with Orioles

UPDATE: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Casilla got a one-year, $1.7 million deal with a $3 million club option for 2014. The O’s could buy out the option for $200,000....With Robert Andino now in Seattle, Casilla figures to be in the mix at second base next season along with Brian Roberts and Ryan Flaherty.

5 ex-Twins or 20% of Orioles 25 man roster are potential members of the 2013 club. There's even the outside possibility for the Orioles sporting an all ex-Twins infield with an off-day or injury in a particular game or two.

2012 Results--Orioles 93-69/Twins 66-96. Go figure.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Yeah, the twins clearly should have kept lew ford around all these years, and the certainly should have overpaid for alexi for 2013.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yeah, the twins clearly should have kept lew ford around all these years, and the certainly should have overpaid for alexi for 2013.
    Is there anyone on TD advocating keeping Ford or Alexi around? I was merely invoking the Joe Garagiola clause ("Baseball is a Funny Game"), but of course some fail to appreciate the levity of this outcome.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know that I want Lew here (he certainly isn't better than Revere or Willingham, and we have plenty of kids fighting for time at RF or the 4th OF spot), but I do want to see him succeed and become an important piece for the Orioles. It just makes for a good story.

I'll honestly be surprised though, if Casilla and Valencia make much an impact, or even get much playing time. They both had their shots to be everday players and couldn't keep it together.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    I don't know that I want Lew here (he certainly isn't better than Revere or Willingham, and we have plenty of kids fighting for time at RF or the 4th OF spot), but I do want to see him succeed and become an important piece for the Orioles. It just makes for a good story.

I'll honestly be surprised though, if Casilla and Valencia make much an impact, or even get much playing time. They both had their shots to be everday players and couldn't keep it together.
    Agreed on all 3 players, i just find it incredibly head-scratching that Duqette finds enough value in these 3 to make the commitments to them that he has done.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-02-2012 at 03:31 AM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have liked Casilla for some time and wish him the best. From the outside looking in, it seemed to me that he had matured and he did provide speed and defense. If Lexi gets to start a lot of game for the Birds and hits a little, plays a very good second base and steals a lot of bags, it would not surprise me. That doesn't mean that he should have been retained by the Twins.

Alexi can be successful on a team that only wants him to play great defense and provide some steals on a rather slow team. There is enough power on the team to get by.
    Whether he will is another story