Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parmelee for Span in the OF. How much will it cost in runs?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    As far as Revere, the Twins should have looked at making him a second baseman. But of course that is outside the box thinking so it was never done. His defense is alright, he has good range, but a terrible arm.
    yet they did it with Rosario. It's easy to say that Revere should have been moved to 2nd but I'm guessing that the Twins considered it and ultimately decided that it wouldn't work. That's being realistic.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Revere most likely has the most range for a CF in the entire major leagues, the fact that Parmelee is better then Delmon/Doumit means that it won't be a huge deal, corner OF defense at the end of the day doesn't matter that much anyways, there is a reason why corner OF's are playing Corner OF in the first place.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    80 runs. The answer is 80 runs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I expect the Hicks or Arcia may be here sooner, as early as the start of the season. Twins may still make more trades, so I am in the wait and see mode at least till the end of spring training.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LF and RF are the second and third least crucial defensive positions. Wasting Revere in RF didn't make much sense. My eyes tell me that Parmelee is slow, but acceptable as a RF--below average, but not dreadful. A team can live with that if the guy can hit and I think Parmelee can and will hit. Arcia, Hicks and maybe a comeback Joe Benson are waiting in the wings. Whoever starts on the corners may not be staying there for too long.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A couple of things. While Revere has a greater range, that is lessed by a much weaker arm. Revere has been lucky enough to see guys tag up and score from 2nd on a deep fly ball, and that rarely happens. I'd imagine defense metrics attempt to bring that into context, and while I don't know if they "figured it out" so to speak, that is a reason why Revere's defensive metrics are going to be a bit muted.

The OF defense is going to be bad going into 2013, though there's good reason to think it will be above average by the end. Morneau likely gets flipped for something allowing Parmalee to move to 1st. That will give a callup for one of Hicks, Benson, or Arcia, all of whom should be better defensively. If more than one of them is doing well in Rochester next year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Willingham was flipped for something as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I hope that Arcia and Hicks have made their way into the lineup by the end of the season and have shown that they belong in a starting lineup to give the Twins an awesome OF defense. Ideally the Twins roll with something like LF - Revere, CF - Hicks and RF - Arcia. I also hope that Parmelee (along with Plouffe) shows that he is a legit MLB hitter regardless of where he plays. It would be really nice to have 4 (not revere in LF) young, cheap average or better MLB hitters claim their spots in the lineup for several years. Unfortunately a couple will bust but it will be the start of the end of this disaster.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudosabr View Post
    80 runs. The answer is 80 runs.
    RIP BYTO.

i
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12