Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parmelee for Span in the OF. How much will it cost in runs?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries

Parmelee for Span in the OF. How much will it cost in runs?

Trading Denard Span to get pitching was necessary. Taking the high upside/higher risk prospect was wise. It is very difficult to get a top starting pitching prospect.

However, I am concerned about the Twins plan for the outfield. Is Parmelee in RF the plan?

Denard Span was credited with saving 20 runs above average (1073 innings) as a CF last year. Ben Revere has a -4 for his career in CF (1123 innings). That is a -24 run change.

Ben Revere fares much better in RF saving 11 runs above average. It helps that the average RF is nowhere near the average CF. If Parmelee replaces him, how will he fare. It is difficult to know. I would think the Twins would be fortunate if he was in the -10 neighborhood. He has played very little outfield in the upper minors. Willingham was a -13 in LF in 2012. It would seem that Parmelee would be in his neighborhood defensively.

If the Twins lose around 20 runs to average in CF and another 20 in right field that 40 run loss represents a significant increase to runs given up. It Those additional 40 runs given up equate to 4 additional losses. Likely it won;t be that bad. I think Revere will be better than league average in CF. Thirty runs might be a more reasonable projection.

Poor defense has another huge impact on the team. Poor defense will also extend innings, burden an overworked bullpen and slow the development of young pitchers.

Data was taken from fangraphs.com (defensive runs saved)
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 12-01-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the OF defense is going to be fairly bad, especially compared to 2012. The Twins now have below average OF defense and no leadoff hitter.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tangential point, I think the Span trade also potentially guarantees that Jamey Carroll starts somewhere (likely second base) since Gardy doesn't understand Mauer's worth at all batting second and there is certainly no one else to put up there with Revere.

Liked 658 Times in 425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I won't try to put a number on it... I'm more concerned with the timing and game situations when outfield range would come into play. One bad moment can lead to runs and a lot of runs at the wrong time. When you are trying to instill confidence in young pitchers and confidence in your team. Defense is a huge thing in my mind.

I think OF Defense for our squad has been weakened to start the season but I do expect Hicks or even Hicks/Arcia to arrive after the Arb Clock thing and it will be better later. I believe eventually Willingham will be the primary DH. Maybe as soon as July.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    1. Is DRS as subjective as UZR?
    2. Is Chief still taking his afternoon nap as to not weigh in on the subject?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My gut feeling is that Revere will end up saving more runs than Span did last year. His increased range will also make it easier for Willingham and whomever is in RF.

At this point, I don't think Parmelee is going to play every single day. More than likely, I see a platoon with Mastroianni or Plouffe. (Mostly dependent on wether or not they pick up a 3B in the off-season) With Plouf/Parm, you'll likely see stats similar to Willingham. With Maestro, it'll balance out closer to average.

As it stands right now, their OF has taken a step back in defense, but not as huge as it could be. As long as we've got an excellent CF, and guys who at least look like they belong in the OF, I'm ok with it. I'm much more concerned about our incredibly unsettled IF. Quality pitchers and a decent IF will significantly limit the exposure of our OF defense.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also, are all OF plays factored in when calculating "runs saved"? I'm just wondering if having quality cut-off guys who get back far enough and make quick turnaround relays factor in to the picture.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    It can't get any worse than running Doumit out to a corner OF spot.

OF Defense:

Parm>me>Delmon Young>Doumit
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    I do try to keep an open mind with defensive metrics and I really look forward as they are refined over time. But:

Trumbo 7 in LF -6 in RF
    Justin Maxwell 12 CF -2 Both LF and RF
    Hechavarria 2 SS -1 3B
    Nyjer Morgan 7 CF -1 RF
    kyle Seager 3 2B -7 3B
    Ruggiano 6 CF -4 LF
    Greg Dobbs -1 1B -10 3B
    Duda -2 LF -16 RF
    Bryce Harper 13 CF -8 RF/LF combined
    Domonic Brown 0 LF -6 RF
    David Murphy 7 LF -1 RF
    Zobrist 0 SS -5 2B
    Keppinger 7 3B -1 1B
    Todd Frazier 3 3B -6 1B
    Tyler Colvin 7 CF -2 RF
    And Ben Revere 11 RF -3 CF

Plus
    Darwin Barney 28 in 2012 and 1 in 2011

I consider the above examples grains of salt.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Doumit and Willingham both are most useful in a DH role. They both look like bargains because all of their value is offense. The runs they cost the team due to defense isn't as apparent.

The Twins, based on their moves in the last year, don't value highly the newer metrics associated with defense. I think their is a growing group of teams who think otherwise. Let's hope the Twins are right in their skepticism of these new measures.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I do try to keep an open mind with defensive metrics and I really look forward as they are refined over time. But:

Trumbo 7 in LF -6 in RF
    Hechavarria 2 SS -1 3B
    Nyjer Morgan 7 CF -1 RF
    kyle Seager 3 2B -7 3B
    Ruggiano 6 CF -4 LF
    Greg Dobbs -1 1B -10 3B
    Duda -2 LF -16 RF
    Domonic Brown 0 LF -6 RF
    David Murphy 7 LF -1 RF
    Zobrist 0 SS -5 2B
    Keppinger 7 3B -1 1B
    Todd Frazier 3 3B -6 1B
    Tyler Colvin 7 CF -2 RF

Plus

Are those career numbers? I would think there are serious sample size issues if those are split positions in a single season.

Below is a study about reliability and correlation. Using a minimum of 667 innings, this even/odd year study produced a high positive correlation of .59.

http://www.billjamesonline.com/how_w...ics_correlate/

Are the Twins paying attention? I hope so.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere is not worse defensively than Span. He doesn't have as good of an arm, but he has better range that can make up for it. We will lose some offense for sure though. By placing Parmelee out there you are going to lose some defense, but he will make up for it with offense.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post

Trumbo 7 in LF -6 in RF
    Hechavarria 2 SS -1 3B
    Nyjer Morgan 7 CF -1 RF
    kyle Seager 3 2B -7 3B
    Ruggiano 6 CF -4 LF
    Greg Dobbs -1 1B -10 3B
    Duda -2 LF -16 RF
    Domonic Brown 0 LF -6 RF
    David Murphy 7 LF -1 RF
    Zobrist 0 SS -5 2B
    Keppinger 7 3B -1 1B
    Todd Frazier 3 3B -6 1B
    Tyler Colvin 7 CF -2 RF

Plus

Are those career numbers? I would think there are serious sample size issues if those are split positions in a single season.

Below is a study about reliability and correlation. Using a minimum of 667 innings, this even/odd year study produced a high positive correlation of .59.

http://www.billjamesonline.com/how_w...ics_correlate/

Are the Twins paying attention? I hope so.
    They are just 2012... And in some cases listed... Sample Size would be an issue. Not all cases tho and I think they are legit questions.

Again... I'm not slamming the stats. Just pointing out one reason for caution.

when it comes to the Bill James article... I think Bill James is the man... I won't criticize him.... But I think it should be considered that 66% of all batted balls are outs. That in itself will stabilize the numbers and should cut down on swings in data.

in other words,.. I'd hope the study the Bill did would show consistency in data to that degree. The Devil in my mind will be in the little details.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-01-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is your source for Runs Saved? I am very skeptical of a metric that says Span is significantly better than Revere in CF. The eye test doesn't support that conclusion (at least my eye doesn't). While the development of defensive metrics is a very worthwhile endeavor, we have to look upon them with some skepticism. The discussion is worth having, but it appears you have cherry-picked stats to support your argument. Span's UZR/150 last year was 9.6, Revere's was 18.6 (from FanGraphs). When discussing defense I think it's best to look at several stats. Also from what I understand, some defensive metrics are prone to vary significantly from year to year. Unfortunately, we don't have several years worth of stats for Revere.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry jorgenswest, I missed the citation at the bottom. My bad.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Trading Denard Span to get pitching was necessary. Taking the high upside/higher risk prospect was wise. It is very difficult to get a top starting pitching prospect.

However, I am concerned about the Twins plan for the outfield. Is Parmelee in RF the plan?

Denard Span was credited with saving 20 runs above average (1073 innings) as a CF last year. Ben Revere has a -4 for his career in CF (1123 innings). That is a -24 run change.

Ben Revere fares much better in RF saving 11 runs above average. It helps that the average RF is nowhere near the average CF. If Parmelee replaces him, how will he fare. It is difficult to know. I would think the Twins would be fortunate if he was in the -10 neighborhood. He has played very little outfield in the upper minors. Willingham was a -13 in LF in 2012. It would seem that Parmelee would be in his neighborhood defensively.

If the Twins lose around 20 runs to average in CF and another 20 in right field that 40 run loss represents a significant increase to runs given up. It Those additional 40 runs given up equate to 4 additional losses. Likely it won;t be that bad. I think Revere will be better than league average in CF. Thirty runs might be a more reasonable projection.

Poor defense has another huge impact on the team. Poor defense will also extend innings, burden an overworked bullpen and slow the development of young pitchers.

Shouldn't a complete analysis be net runs--delta runs scored less delta runs allowed? How does a change in pitching reflected? Example: Span CF is traded for a starting pitcher who replaces a lesser starting pitcher. Revere replaces Span in CF and Parmalee replaces Revere in RF. It seems the complete analysis involves the changes in all of these players (both defensively and offensively) rather than just the defensive OFers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Parmelee is just a place holder in RF until one of Mauer/Morneau/Doumit ends up injured. OF Defense will certainly be ugly early in the season but in the 2nd half we could be looking at a Revere/Hicks/Arcia OF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post

Shouldn't a complete analysis be net runs--delta runs scored less delta runs allowed? How does a change in pitching reflected? Example: Span CF is traded for a starting pitcher who replaces a lesser starting pitcher. Revere replaces Span in CF and Parmalee replaces Revere in RF. It seems the complete analysis involves the changes in all of these players (both defensively and offensively) rather than just the defensive OFers.
    Good point. Parmelee's offense replaces Span's. Span would have the better OBP and Parmelee the SLG. Hard to measure value of a lead off hitter taking lots of pitches and getting on base, but Parmelee's offense is likely an improvement. I can't imagine it is a 40 run improvement.

Should I have projected Meyer on the major league roster?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Parmelee wasn't terrible in RF actually quite a bit better then I figured considering he really had played significant innings out there since he was in Beloit. If he can hit .270 with decent power and make the plays he can get to he will be fine out there.

As far as Revere, the Twins should have looked at making him a second baseman. But of course that is outside the box thinking so it was never done. His defense is alright, he has good range, but a terrible arm.

Big picture though I don't think its that bad. If they could move Willingham at the deadline and put Arcia or Hicks in LF (or CF and move Revere). It would help, but the big problem is not the OF defense its the pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's only December maybe we should wait till spring training before goin there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast