Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Plouffe Insurance

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

Plouffe Insurance

It's been mentioned that the Twins would like a LH bat that can play third to compete/platoon with Trevor Plouffe. I'm not too excited to hear Jack Hannahan's name bandied about, but what about Eric Chavez? He had a solid comeback year in NY, playing about 60-games at the hot corner. He only made $900K last year, so I bet he could be had for $2-2.5mil, tops. Would he be worth it?

several, including myself, have trumpeted Chavez as a great guy to chase.
    Problem is that several contending type teams will also chase him...NYY, Philly, etc
    Think they will go the Hannahan route also.....ONLY due to his ties here.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 801 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was kind of hoping for Kepplinger...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I'd try Ian Stewart

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Hannahan is all but a given to come to the Twins... And, don't be surprised if that means that Trevor Plouffe is encouraged to bring his right field glove to spring training again.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 379 Times in 196 Posts
    We had a long thread earlier this off-season about Chavez, I think the general consensus was that most everyone would love to have him here on a cheap 1 year deal, but that he most likely would want to play for a contender (or go back to Oakland).

I hope Hannahan isn't brought in on a major league deal, or expected to play any sort of significant innings at 3rd base. The guy doesn't bring anything to the table offensively, and with the holes in the rest of the INF plus a no hit CF most likely, the Twins need power out of their remaining positions (1B,LF, RF, 3B, C, DH).

If you have him on board to be strictly a back up/defensive insurance for a 1/1mil deal then I wouldn't be to upset. But if you want him to start 80 games, no thanks. Would rather give those chances to a guy with upside.

Blech. No Stewart. Hire Hannahan as a coach. Kepplinger would be cool, but Chavez a little less so. The thing is he's not a 120 game player any more if there aren't DH appearances to be had. The Twins are totally backed up at any position other than 3B he might play. They can't park him in LF, for example.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 379 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    Blech. No Stewart. Hire Hannahan as a coach. Kepplinger would be cool, but Chavez a little less so. The thing is he's not a 120 game player any more if there aren't DH appearances to be had. The Twins are totally backed up at any position other than 3B he might play. They can't park him in LF, for example.
    How is Chavez not a 120 game player anymore when he played in 113 last year? (and had his best year in 7 years)

The Twins wouldn't need him to play that much anyways, he would be a bench bat and could go against tough righties to give Plouffe a break from time to time.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 370 Times in 231 Posts
    Why would anyone pay to bring in a left handed platoon partner for Plouffe who hits righties just as poorly? Just because he's a lefty doesn't mean he can hit right handed pitching. Spoiler alert, Hannahan can't and never has.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just don't understand the Twins, they do this crap year after year. They can give some middle infielder who can barely hit .220 with no power a starting job and never take it away, but can't in their minds give someone who can actually hit HR's a job because his defense is not up to snuff. They did the same crap with Kubel, its as if they just can't say sink or swim with a guy, its not like there are any other BIG PROBLEMS with the team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Inge Hanrahann platoon?

Actually I see cleveland is dangling their SS for prospects. Would one of our OF prospects do the job? Arcia for Cabrera?