Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: In Terry I Trust

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    We know about as much about the Span/Meyer trade talks as we do about Terry Ryan's role in Bill Smith's regime.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Upton is a below average defensive CF who hits some HRs and steals some bases but he strikes out a ton and has trouble getting on base or hitting for average.

If given a choice between Span and Upton straight up, I'd take Span...when considering what they'll both be paid the next three seasons, it's Span in a freakin landslide.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Not what I said. I said signing Willingham was good deal. But I also said I will believe he is trying to make the team better, not just cheaper, when he competes with other teams for players, and signs them. When he increases the payroll, then I will believe him when he says money is not an issue. But he gave that money back to the owners last year....like I also said, still hoping.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 601 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Not what I said. I said signing Willingham was good deal. But I also said I will believe he is trying to make the team better, not just cheaper, when he competes with other teams for players, and signs them. When he increases the payroll, then I will believe him when he says money is not an issue. But he gave that money back to the owners last year....like I also said, still hoping.

He gave that money back to the owners because he, rightfully, wasn't going to give Cuddyer at least 3/30, so he signed Willingham for what Cuddyer should have been worth and came out ahead. Would giving Cuddyer 3/31.5 have made you happier than signing Willingham?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    No, putting that money into real pitching would have though. Does no one think cutting cost had anything to do with those decisions? When he replaces guys with expensive guys, I will believe him when he says money is not an issue. You have the right to draw different conclusions from his actions than I do. I just have not, yet, seen actions that would lead me to believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Lots of interesting speculation on this. I doubt if we ever know if one side "caved" on this trade or not. It is hardly in anyone's interest to reveal that. What is true, is that it will be years before this trade can be fairly evalulated. There is a pretty chance Span will continue to be largely what he has been. Meyer could turn into an ace, a good starting pitcher, a closer, a decent reliever or never reach the majors at all.
    Sounds like the discussion I had this weekend with my son who is a Nats fan...this trade is a huge gamble for both teams. We have no idea what Meyer will be in 2015 (ace, closer, starter, bullpen guy, still in minors). Nats have no idea about Span--he has concussion (and other) injury history. Span gives them leverage to trade LaRoche, Morse, etc but do they hold on to them in case of injury...

Very interesting trade--I agree with Nick--rather see the Twins get a potential ace in 2015 for Span than a mediocre number 3 starter like Edwin Jackson, Joe Blanton, etc. who may (or may not) add 5 wins in 2013.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Good point, Boom Boom. As a matter of fact, five dozen members of the Twins scouting and development staff played a role in Bill Smith's regime. And Ryan's. They met as a group at the end of the season, like they do every year. Despite thrylos's beliefs to the contrary, they all have cell phones and email accounts. They're probably expected to have and share their opinions. We don't have a clue as to how it all works.

Wouldn't it be fun to have access to what all these professionals have to say? But what the hell, at least we have each other.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    I love the trade. Span's value will never again be as high as it is right now. He is very injury prone. Guys like Meyer are rarely traded. The Nationals were desperate and gave up a whole lot. People are mad that we are punting on next season, but it is day one of the winter meetings. We could still sign a decent pitcher or two and still compete next season. Baseball is a funny game, the winners of the offseason rarely translates to winners during the regular or post season.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Good point, Boom Boom. As a matter of fact, five dozen members of the Twins scouting and development staff played a role in Bill Smith's regime. And Ryan's. They met as a group at the end of the season, like they do every year. Despite thrylos's beliefs to the contrary, they all have cell phones and email accounts. They're probably expected to have and share their opinions. We don't have a clue as to how it all works.

Wouldn't it be fun to have access to what all these professionals have to say? But what the hell, at least we have each other.
    I guess we'll never know.

If you can't rip TR for something that you have no intimate knowledge of, then you probably can't praise him for that kind of thing either. Or you can do both.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post

If you can't rip TR for something that you have no intimate knowledge of, then you probably can't praise him for that kind of thing either. Or you can do both.
    The obvious difference being that Ryan was in the bosses' chair for one of those moves and not the others.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    We know about as much about the Span/Meyer trade talks as we do about Terry Ryan's role in Bill Smith's regime.
    No, we know more about Mr. Ryan's role in Bill Smith's regime. Anyone that knows Mr. Ryan, even a little, knows that he would take a back seat once he left the GM's office. His involvement in Mr. Smith's decisions would be only if asked.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    No, he didn't give it back to the owners. It was used to sign Buxton, Berrios, Bard, et.al. The Twins spent well over $15mm last year in the draft and signing International players ($12mm on first ten rounds, $2.9mm International), versus roughly half that in previous years. Add those dollars to what was spent on major league payroll and the difference is much smaller.
    Last edited by roger; 12-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    One thing to like about the trade for Meyer: Signing a veteran pitcher on a one-year "rental" can now be justified.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Upton is a below average defensive CF who hits some HRs and steals some bases but he strikes out a ton and has trouble getting on base or hitting for average.

If given a choice between Span and Upton straight up, I'd take Span...when considering what they'll both be paid the next three seasons, it's Span in a freakin landslide.
    Dude, Upton is a significantly better player then Span, just take a look at the upside and his last 3 years of offensive production vs Span. Also, not sure where you are getting this Upton is below average defensively thing. Upton actually rates as above average according to ever defensive metric out there. Also, Upton doesn't have the injury concerns Span has and has shown significant power spikes as he has started to get close to his peak ages.

Is Span a better bargain at his deal? Yeah, and I would take Span at his contract over Upton. But to say straight up (money not an issue) that you would take Span over Upton is disingenuous, or else you don't follow baseball much.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    One thing to like about the trade for Meyer: Signing a veteran pitcher on a one-year "rental" can now be justified.
    Which is why I am skeptical about signing someone older like Dempster for 3 years.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Is Span a better bargain at his deal? Yeah, and I would take Span at his contract over Upton. But to say straight up (money not an issue) that you would take Span over Upton is disingenuous, or else you don't follow baseball much.
    Minus the injuries, I'd rather have Span, honestly. They both OPS around the same but Span gets more of that OPS from OBP.

Of course, injury concerns slant that back into Upton's favor quite a bit.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Minus the injuries, I'd rather have Span, honestly. They both OPS around the same but Span gets more of that OPS from OBP.

Of course, injury concerns slant that back into Upton's favor quite a bit.
    First off, that's not really accurate:

Spans last three years: .679 .678 .738 OBP= .331 .328 .342
    Uptons last three years: .745 .759 .752 BP=.322 .331 .298

Keep in mind that also Upton was playing in Tampa Bay which was quite a large pitchers park in 2012 as well as the rest of its history vs Target field that was neutral in 2012 and close to neutral overall.

Upton also will give you 30-40 SB a year vs Span who will give you 20-25 at most along with a ton of pick offs. Lastly, give me the guy that has 25+ HR power (will hit for 30+ next year if healthy) over the guy who has 5 HR power.

Defensively all things considered (Park, other guys sharing the OF) they are basically a wash, maybe a slight advantage to Span.

IMO its not really close if you take money out of the equation, with or without injuries.

Good article, and I'm fine with the deal. It's too easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. People look at the MLB club and think that any trade for Span has to address that immediate need. It doesn't. It is equally important for the long-term health of this team to address setbacks with guys like Gibson and Wimmers who were recent draft picks and should have been contributing to the big league club.

If Meyer gets hurt at some point, everyone will turn on this trade, and I think that's foolish. You need a critical mass of potential starters in different stages of development. The 2012 draft was a pretty good effort to stock guys under 20, like Berrios. They also tried a unique strategy of taking accomplished college RP's and making them into starters. Given the low likelihood of actually signing high school pitchers past the first few rounds under the new rules, I've actually come to think that's an intriguing approach.

But guys as good as Mike Leake or any of the other middling starters we might have gotten for Span can be found on the FA market - prospects like Meyer cannot. Let's start getting a bunch of these guys whenever we can, and hope that a few of them pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

The obvious difference being that Ryan was in the bosses' chair for one of those moves and not the others.
    OK, we'll put the shoe on the other foot then.

Great move by Rizzo. The Nationals probably never wanted Upton anyway, and were just waiting for him to sign so that the Twins' options for trading Span were more limited and the Nats didn't have to give up anything more than one A-ball prospect. The Twins were probably asking for more than Meyers for Span, but when interest from the Braves dried up they were left holding the bag. It's obvious that the Nationals had their eyes on Span all along and were never all that interested in Upton.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Not for me. He was not outbidding anyone for Josh, and was a payroll cut. I want to see him replace a guy with guys a lot more expensive before I believe he will spend what it takes to win. Willingham was a great sign, but it was a budget cut that they then, shockingly pocketed....when he goes out and beats another team for a free agent, then I will believe he is trying to make the team better, not just cheaper. Ymmv.
    So if we had given Willingham something like 18M a year you would have been happier? Sounds like all you want is upgrades to the payroll and not worried about the return. Getting cheaper and better, like the Twins did by signing Willingham, is the ultimate win-win for a team.
    Absolutely agree. I guess the Twins could have given Willingham or Doumit more than they did. I guess that would make people happier! By definition, any free agent signing is signed for more than market value. Most times, the team that 'wins' pays more than any of the other 29 teams would have paid.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast