Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crasnick: Joe Blanton a "prime target" for Twins

Crasnick: Joe Blanton a "prime target" for Twins

If this hasn't been mentioned already, ESPN's Jerry Crasnick had some notes from the winter meetings today that are relevant to the Twins:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-more-pitching

His article mentions that Joe Blanton is a prime target for the Twins, which, I suppose shouldn't be surprising. He also mentions pitchers such as Kevin Correia, Brett Myers, John Lannan, Mike Pelfrey, and Vincente Padilla (???) as possible targets.

I would expect the Twins to sign at least one of these types and think that Blanton, Myers, or Pelfrey could be decent additions and provide some depth/insurance for the development of Kyle Gibson and Liam Hendricks. Hopefully the price will be right if adding any of these.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Blanton would't be one of my top choices. I'd rather they got after someone like Carlos Villanueva who has pitched both as starter and reliever. If we gave him a 3-year deal, he could eventually help in relief when our rotation of the future - Diamond, Gibson, Meyer, Berrios, and maybe Salcedo are in place.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by puckett1992 View Post
    If this hasn't been mentioned already, ESPN's Jerry Crasnick had some notes from the winter meetings today that are relevant to the Twins:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-more-pitching

His article mentions that Joe Blanton is a prime target for the Twins, which, I suppose shouldn't be surprising. He also mentions pitchers such as Kevin Correia, Brett Myers, John Lannan, Mike Pelfrey, and Vincente Padilla (???) as possible targets.

I would expect the Twins to sign at least one of these types and think that Blanton, Myers, or Pelfrey could be decent additions and provide some depth/insurance for the development of Kyle Gibson and Liam Hendricks. Hopefully the price will be right if adding any of these.
    Oh Lord, please don't sign Blanton...

I hope this isn't Terry Ryan's quote of we're going to Chase a pretty darn good pitcher cause if it is we are in trouble

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Well, yeah. But it's a really low bar.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I guess I feel that if they aren't going to go after at least a #2 and #3 type pitcher in free agency (and I don't mean a pitcher who would qualify as a #2 or #3 for us, but a real #2 and #3), then there's no reason to go after anyone. Blanton would be a waste of money
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 146 Times in 75 Posts
    2010- 4.82 era, era+ 85 whip 1.417. 2011- 5.01 era, era+ 77 whip 1.476. 2012- 4.71 era era+ 84 whip 1.262 and he'll be 32. All these stats, of course, in the National League.
    How much do you expect these to go up in the AL?
    He looks like he'd fit right into last years rotation!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    John Lannan was born to pitch for the Twins.

4.7 k/9, in the NL, sign me up.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    John Lannan was born to pitch for the Twins.

4.7 k/9, in the NL, sign me up.
    The upside is that a 4.7 K/9 can't possibly drop much with a transition to the AL.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    The upside is that a 4.7 K/9 can't possibly drop much with a transition to the AL.

True, but the already mediocre 3.4 bb/9 rate that goes with it could very well get worse.

I laugh now, but I'm prepared to cry when it actually happens.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Blanton would't be one of my top choices. I'd rather they got after someone like Carlos Villanueva who has pitched both as starter and reliever. If we gave him a 3-year deal, he could eventually help in relief when our rotation of the future - Diamond, Gibson, Meyer, Berrios, and maybe Salcedo are in place.
    Villanueva is an interesting option that hasn't been mentioned much over the last few weeks. I also wonder about the status of Edwin Jackson and Shaun Marcum and what is required to get those mid-tier type of guys. The fact the Nationals let Jackson go and don't seem interested in re-signing him, and Jackson's bouncing around from team to team the last number of years, make one wonder about his mental makeup in addition to his stuff.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    lannan is better than what the Twins have now.....we need pitchers

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    Joe Blanton a prime target for Twins.

In Terry I trust?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Blanton sucks, but I would rather have him at 1 year 2 mil then Dempster at 3 years. We still need to target a top tier guy though.

Liked 335 Times in 176 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    He's put up FIPs in the high 3's and xFIP's in the low 3's the past two seasons, with K rates around 7.5 per nine. It's certainly debatable whether it's worth what he'll cost to have him pitch for a team that appears at the moment to not be planning on contending in 2013. But he's clearly a decent bet to be better than the likely in-house solutions to fill one of the non-Diamond rotation spots.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    He's put up FIPs in the high 3's and xFIP's in the low 3's the past two seasons, with K rates around 7.5 per nine. It's certainly debatable whether it's worth what he'll cost to have him pitch for a team that appears at the moment to not be planning on contending in 2013. But he's clearly a decent bet to be better than the likely in-house solutions to fill one of the non-Diamond rotation spots.
    So a poor defense has caused his ERA to be inflated? I ask because our defense wasn't good last year and it just got worse a few days ago

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Terry Ryan didn't say Joe Blanton was a prime target, Chief. Jerry Crasnick did. Ye of little faith...

Interesting, I didn't even realize that. FWIW: Bill James has him as a 4.10 ERA guy this year.
    It also looks like he has a rather high HR%, maybe a move to Target Field could help him a bit? With that xFIP and FIP the past two years, maybe he is a good "buy low" candidate. I could get behind a one year deal for him. Thanks for pointing that out, I never would have checked to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    So a poor defense has caused his ERA to be inflated? I ask because our defense wasn't good last year and it just got worse a few days ago
    It looks like his HR% increased it, as well as a slight increase in BABIP and decrease in strand rate, who knows and maybe some bad luck?, and once Hicks is up our defense will probably be better then last year (OF wise), but since he actually strikes out people (unlike the rest of our rotation) it shouldn't matter as much? It is hard to argue with that K/BB ratio.

I don't think xFIP and FIP are an end all be all, but it does suggest that he was a bit undervalued.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast