Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Rule 5: Will the Twins Lose Anyone?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rule 5: Will the Twins Lose Anyone?

Looking for thoughts from Seth and others heading into Thursday's draft...

Who are the best Twin prospects not protected?

Is Adrian Salcedo unprotected? Might a team take him and put him in a 12th man mop up role for the year?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Isn't Slama exposed? I would take a flier on him if I was another team. He's as major league ready as they come an costs you nothing

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Salcedo barely pitched in high A. I don't thing anyone would take him.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone that gets taken won't be important, but Slama and a few other relievers might be taken.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    Isn't Slama exposed? I would take a flier on him if I was another team. He's as major league ready as they come an costs you nothing
    I hope Slama gets taken and completely dominates for years to come

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not sure on the minor league part or how that part even works, but other then Slama I'd be shocked if anyone was taken, and then if anyone was taken if they were kept. The Twins outrighted a fair amount of players, who could have been had for no money and without having to keep them on the major league roster.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That Salcedo wasn't protected makes me a little nervous. I hope he's not taken; but if he is, I hope the Twins accept him back when it comes to that.

I don't think Slama is in danger of going anywhere, teams have had the opportunity to have him for free and have passed. Why pay something to get him now?

Though it's impossible to know who's on the minor league reserve list, here are some guys that might get attention if they're available in the minor-league portion:

Bobby Lanigan, P, pitched decently towards the back of Rochester's bullpen. I would assume he's on the AAA reserve list since he played there.

Andrew Albers, P, thought he'd get some consideration last year, has pitched well the last two years in AA.

Angel Morales, OF, how long can a guy stick around because of potential? It might be time for a change of scenery... and if he's not protected on either reserve list, he might finally get it.

Tom Stuifbergen, P, Stuif was starting to put it together in 2010 and 11, but came to camp with nagging injuries. Another guy that - if exposed in the minor league portions - may be lost.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I think Jeremy is spot on. Twins don't have that much AA/AAA ready depth, which is usually what teams go after. A bad team isn't going to waste a lottery ticket on a guy like Slama and a good team that might be able to use him won't have a need for him.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    I hope Slama gets taken and completely dominates for years to come

Me too!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the Major League Rule 5, I would be surprised if the Twins lost anyone. In my opinion, Salcedo could be taken, but he's still in Ft. Myers rehabbing shoulder and elbow issues, so I can't imagine him sticking.

I think there's a chance Bruce Pugh gets taken. Had a very nice bounce-back season in FM/NB. Throws quite hard. Reduced his walks. I think he's at risk.

As I said above, I'd LOVE to see Slama taken, but as Jeremy mentioned, teams have had plenty of opportunity to take him for free. Not sure why they'd spend $50,000 now.

No idea on the Minor League portion. There's no way that Angel Morales or Tom Stuifbergen aren't put on the AAA reserve list... I'd be shocked at least. But I guess we'll see bright and early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    In the Major League Rule 5, I would be surprised if the Twins lost anyone. In my opinion, Salcedo could be taken, but he's still in Ft. Myers rehabbing shoulder and elbow issues, so I can't imagine him sticking.

I think there's a chance Bruce Pugh gets taken. Had a very nice bounce-back season in FM/NB. Throws quite hard. Reduced his walks. I think he's at risk.

As I said above, I'd LOVE to see Slama taken, but as Jeremy mentioned, teams have had plenty of opportunity to take him for free. Not sure why they'd spend $50,000 now.

No idea on the Minor League portion. There's no way that Angel Morales or Tom Stuifbergen aren't put on the AAA reserve list... I'd be shocked at least. But I guess we'll see bright and early in the morning.
    Is there any way to track the Rule 5 draft online tomorrow?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

Well, his last year in the minors was far more impressive even a very good 2011 stint or 2010, his second best season. In 2013 posted a 1.24 ERA (2010 was 2.20, so he knocked off a full point there). His K/BB in 2012 was 3.11 vs. 2010 2.31, and his K/9 was 13.9 vs. 2010's 10.9. Those are massively improved numbers. He has never pitched a lot of innings, so he might be avoided, but I'd be a bit surprised (and disappointed) if someone doesn't give him a go.

I mean, what else can he do to deserve a shot? It's almost impossible to pitch better than that.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post

Is there any way to track the Rule 5 draft online tomorrow?
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?to...nt_id=25517943