Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Competition for Plouffe?

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With Gardenhire (it is so hard for me to capitalize his name) managing, there is always going to be a couple of guys to "back up" Plouffe. Utility utility utility. I sure hope they give him the chance to settle in free of injury. He is getting better and you just can't deny those 6 weeks and not give him a shot on a horrible team to take third and shine.
    Last edited by h2oface; 12-04-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: corrected capitals as requested in a warning email

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i think this statement is mostly true. Gardy loves tinkering with his lineup, whether it is needed or not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    i think this statement is mostly true. Gardy loves tinkering with his lineup, whether it is needed or not.
    What was it last year, 18, 19 different lineups in the first 20 games of the season?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm completely sold on signing Youkilis and moving Plouffe (again).

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    What was it last year, 18, 19 different lineups in the first 20 games of the season?
    Not sure. He may have gotten the perfect 20 for 20.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Ryan is on record that an "infielder will have to fall in our lap", so I don't expect anybody but "a pulse" to compete with Plouffe. They might as well run him out there at 3B and hope that he hits enough to overcome his fielding limitations. Perhaps with another year (or two) of ~25 HRs he could be traded for quality pitching--even one of those "high ceiling Class A guys".

Other than Hanahan/Chavez....who will now go back to NYY....who else is there? They wont spend on Youk/Reynolds as Gardy isnt an OBP guy but rather an old school BAve guy.
    Ryan also said Tue that our 4 current middle infielders are the ones that Mn will go to spring training with. arghhhhh!!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    We have no infielders (3B, SS, 2Bs) on our roster that have proven they are capable major league starters. That includes Carroll, the best of the bunch, who I like but is more suited to super utility.

Can any other team in baseball say that?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Other than Hanahan/Chavez....who will now go back to NYY....who else is there? They wont spend on Youk/Reynolds as Gardy isnt an OBP guy but rather an old school BAve guy.
    Ryan also said Tue that our 4 current middle infielders are the ones that Mn will go to spring training with. arghhhhh!!!!
    What does Gardy have to do with anything? You think he would turn down having Youk on this team?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    It would be a huge mistake to bring someone in someone that they would honestly consider playing in front of Plouffe. I have no problem if they tell him it's his spot for a single year, but there's no reason not to give him that chance.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bet it's gonna be Hannahan. Can he play 2B?
    But a .238 career hitter (.316 OBP)....28 HR in his career...no thanks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    You guys don't honestly think Ryan is going to give a MLB deal to a guy who otherwise will have to wait to get a minor league contract with a ST invite by the other 29 clubs? Hannahan has a whopping .17 better OPS vs. righties than Plouffe does; being a left-handed hitter from MN doesn't mean he's useful. Stay away.

Reports are that Jeff Keppinger is looking at $8M over two years. Why is this guy getting so much less attention than Marco Scutaro, Stephen Drew and Jed Lowrie? The Twins just gave Jamey Carroll 2 years for $6.75M, what the hell.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    What does Gardy have to do with anything? You think he would turn down having Youk on this team?
    An over the hill player , who will require to much money ? Thank you no

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries

Reading between the lines it seems like Ryan is trying to use this to motivate Plouffe. Trevor has always been that guy in the minors who's production never really lived up to the talent (other then his breakout in AAA), now that he has made it to the majors Ryan and co probably don't want him to get to comfortable and want to make sure he continues to work on his game and improve.

I think Plouffe has the potential to be a very solid 3B for us and has all the talent in the world to do so. Now it's on him to make the adjustments needed (since the league learned how to pitch to him a bit after his absurd HR run)
    +10. It doesn't cost Ryan anything to send a message to Plouffe that he's still closer to a Danny Valencia than a Gary Gaetti in the eyes of the organization at the moment. He's finally shown signs of living up to the potential they saw when they used a first round pick on him waaaayyyy back in 2004, and Ryan doesn't want it going to his head.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be terribly strange to bring in a guy like Hannahan. Like most managers today, Gardy doesn't care much for platooning, especially in the infield. But 250 AB's from JH to spell Plouffe, especially against tough righties, wouldn't be a bad thing. He can also fill in at first and either outfield corner, and can even play second in a pinch. And the Twins have historically loved to bring back local boys in the twilight of their careers, especially in down years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post

Reading between the lines it seems like Ryan is trying to use this to motivate Plouffe. Trevor has always been that guy in the minors who's production never really lived up to the talent (other then his breakout in AAA), now that he has made it to the majors Ryan and co probably don't want him to get to comfortable and want to make sure he continues to work on his game and improve.

I think Plouffe has the potential to be a very solid 3B for us and has all the talent in the world to do so. Now it's on him to make the adjustments needed (since the league learned how to pitch to him a bit after his absurd HR run)
    +10. It doesn't cost Ryan anything to send a message to Plouffe that he's still closer to a Danny Valencia than a Gary Gaetti in the eyes of the organization at the moment. He's finally shown signs of living up to the potential they saw when they used a first round pick on him waaaayyyy back in 2004, and Ryan doesn't want it going to his head.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be terribly strange to bring in a guy like Hannahan. Like most managers today, Gardy doesn't care much for platooning, especially in the infield. But 250 AB's from JH to spell Plouffe, especially against tough righties, wouldn't be a bad thing. He can also fill in at first and either outfield corner, and can even play second in a pinch. And the Twins have historically loved to bring back local boys in the twilight of their careers, especially in down years.
    'Like most managers today, Gardy doesn't care much for platooning, especially in the infield?'

He constantly moves his players all over the diamond...which, I guess, isn't actually a platoon...more like pick the position you'll be playing today out of a hat...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    'Like most managers today, Gardy doesn't care much for platooning, especially in the infield?'

He constantly moves his players all over the diamond...which, I guess, isn't actually a platoon...more like pick the position you'll be playing today out of a hat...
    Yes, I was speaking strictly in the sense of a traditional left/right platoon. Gardenhire's desire for everyday lineup coherence in the infield is exceeded only by his desire to play the guys whose defense he feels least likely to give him a coronary on any given day.

Senior Member All-Star
    On the other hand, it wouldn't be terribly strange to bring in a guy like Hannahan.[/QUOTE]

But why waste a roster spot in December on the guy who automatically becomes the team's first DFA candidate? If the Twins want him, they can offer him a minor league invite in February, he's most likely not going to get an MLB offer from another team, he's that bad of a hitter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like Inge or Hannahan, though I'm not sure what Inge would cost. I don't see any reason to bring in Youkilis unless we got an INCREDIBLE deal.

I think it's good to keep Plouffe on his toes, we don't want another Valencia situation where the guy thinks he owns it. But this is a weird situation. You aren't going to have any of those possibilities being sent to the minors to wait, and why take playing time away from a guy who has promise, in a year that should be average at best? We've seen some poor management of playing time for prospects in recent years... I don't see a reason to platoon much in the infield either. Why pigeon-hole a guy this early in his career, and risk eroding his confidence? If we are going to play 5+ AAA players every night, let them play. If they are going to be platooned, let them play every night in Rochester instead.

If Ryan is just letting this get out in the media, smart I suppose. But Plouffe would have to be pretty dumb to think the spot is his already.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    But why waste a roster spot in December on the guy who automatically becomes the team's first DFA candidate? If the Twins want him, they can offer him a minor league invite in February, he's most likely not going to get an MLB offer from another team, he's that bad of a hitter.
    Fine by me, but he's the kind of guy the Twins have historically valued more than most other teams do. Reputation for good defense, local, and a 'good guy', but not a good hitter. Kind of surprised he's not a Twin already...

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Fine by me, but he's the kind of guy the Twins have historically valued more than most other teams do. Reputation for good defense, local, and a 'good guy', but not a good hitter. Kind of surprised he's not a Twin already...
    Too true, but I hope those kind of moves went out the window when everyone's job security became tenuous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast