Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How high would you go for Brandon McCarthy?

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

How high would you go for Brandon McCarthy?

Given the escalated salaries for starting pitchers, how high would you be willing to go for Brandon McCarthy? He's been very good when healthy, but also has only thrown 111 and 170 innings the last two years. He was out all of 2010. So there is plenty of gamble there.

Would you be willing to go three years?
    Would you be willing to go up to $10M/year? $11M?

Think of this as a blind bid situation. If you get the biggest total number, you get him. What would you be willing to do?

(I think I top out at 2/22 or 3/30.)

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    (I think I top out at 2/22 or 3/30.)
    This. No higher.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    2 for 20 with a team option of 11 mil for a third year. A guy who got his head almost knocked off for 10mil scares me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Well, Haren just went 13 million for 1 year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I'd probably leave him alone but 3/24 would be my limit. Pitching in Oakland, I think, helps him a great deal.

He does have a stunning wife though.

Assuming he's healthy (good point Twerp) I'd go 2/24 or 3/33. If you want starting pitching, and you are in a secondary market, better pay. Look at Carlos Silva in Seattle and Gil Meche in KC. McCarthy's 3.66 ERA and 1.22 WHIP over the past 4 years is solid and easily better than any 4 year stretch by Meche or Silva.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd go 2 years, $18 million, with a $10 million option for 2015... with a $1 million buyout.

So, that'd be a 2 year, $19 million deal with option.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Pitching has always been expensive. Revenues have risen, and payrolls along with it, but even back in the day there was Mike Hampton and so forth.

McCarthy doesn't have a great track record for his career like Haren. I just don't think teams will go totally crazy over a limited-upside question mark, even in this market. I wouldn't offer more than 2/16.

3 years $36 million or even 4 years $48 million. When you put up ERA numbers like that in the American League, he's worth it.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't push it at all. I guess two years guaranteed for a walking injury concern is not terrible. A Pavano-esque deal then. I would prefer a 1/10 with a 12 million option and 1 million buyout the best though. Or let the White Sox throw 4 years at him and watch that fail miserably.

With his history, as high as that referendum is gonna make Colorado.

I'm not gonna pay someone $10 million who has pitched over 150 innings one time since 2006.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by syves View Post
    With his history, as high as that referendum is gonna make Colorado.

I'm not gonna pay someone $10 million who has pitched over 150 innings one time since 2006.
    Yeah, I really find the love for him around here bizarre. 3 or 4 years!!!???

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with this question for me is what are other options and what really is the budget? It is hard to say what amount of money should be committed to a pretty risky guy like McCarthy when you really don't know how much the Twins are willing to spend for 2013 and for future years. I would likely rather have McCarthy then Edwin Jackson but that depends on money and years. Maybe the best stragedy here, is find 4 reasonable risk starters for 1 year each for $20-25 mil. It gives you some depth, it would allow to address other areas and may save some be spent during the season if the Twins happened to be better than expected.

Investing money in a McCarthy is a large gamble if you have to go multiple years. A guy like Jackson might have ace stuff, but generally pitches like a back of rotation guy, plus no team seems to want him after watching pitch for a year. So maybe you sign 4 moderate risk, moderate reward guys to 1 year deals and see what your team looks like in July.

I guess I'd be surprised if he got the kind of money most are floating around here. His track record of injuries is going to cause teams to pause on anything more than a year. 1 Year 8.5 or 2 yrs 16 should be pretty competitive. Haren has a much longer track record of success and fewer injuries and just got 1 -13 from the Nationals, I really can't see McCarthy approaching those numbers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I guess I'd be surprised if he got the kind of money most are floating around here. His track record of injuries is going to cause teams to pause on anything more than a year. 1 Year 8.5 or 2 yrs 16 should be pretty competitive. Haren has a much longer track record of success and fewer injuries and just got 1 -13 from the Nationals, I really can't see McCarthy approaching those numbers.
    Because he is only 29, still has potential as a mid-rotation guy, and multiple team are bidding on him. The guy is going to take the best deal with the most money or multiple years. My guess is someone will be willing to put in a second year. He will take the second year and run to the bank with it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    You could be creative and go a little lower around 16 for 2 with a generous bonus for IP. Make it a win/win.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    1st year 6MM with incentives that go as high as 10MM, 2nd year opion 12MM with a 1.5MM buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Because he is only 29, still has potential as a mid-rotation guy, and multiple team are bidding on him. The guy is going to take the best deal with the most money or multiple years. My guess is someone will be willing to put in a second year. He will take the second year and run to the bank with it.
    I agree that he'll probably get 2 years, but I still think teams are going to be shy because of the injury track record. He's had serious shoulder injuries throughout his career and those are the one's that are the most difficult to overcome. I'm not saying a don't like the guy or that he wouldn't be an upgrade here, but I also think if you're going to invest 10+ million a year you want someone that you think has a good chance of making it through the season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You could be creative and go a little lower around 16 for 2 with a generous bonus for IP. Make it a win/win.
    I agree. 2 years, $16 million with up to $3 million in incentives each year based on IP. I'd also add a third year vesting option.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Off subject , but can anyone tell me why Salcedo is rated higher as a prospect then Berrois is?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast