Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Could the Twins still trade Ben Revere?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Trade em. Rebuild the pitching throughout the org.

Why you trade Revere

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    For a pitcher Ok... For an OF'er... That don't make much sense.
    Revere does some good things, but there are reason to deal him, too. While he's a great CF range, speed on the bases, and high BA,

1. He doesn't walk
    2. (redacted) Hicks, Arcia, Buxton, with Willingham, Benson, maybe Roberts as bridge to Buxton.
    3. His arm sucks for center. He'll be sucking up most of the balls in the outfield, but he has no arm and teams will run wild.
    4. He has no power. Zero power, almost. Many of his hits are infield and don't move runners along more than one base.
    5. Someone mentioned getting a crappy Juan Pierre-type to replace him. Well, his GOAL is to be Juan Pierre, because that's his upside.
    6. Revere will (or should, anyway) be dealt when the kids arrive. At that time, he'll be overpriced in terms of salary. Right now he's a min salary player, which could mislead teams to give up something for him.
    7. He's easily replaceable in a losing season with a platoon. While the lefty hitting guy might not be quite as good, the rh guy should be close, and if it's remotely close, that's all you need to bridge to Hicks.

Mastroianni could provide the right side of a platoon this year with a late, cheap FA getting ABs from the left side. There are plenty out there who could put up a .320 obp.

Of course, what's the point if the Twins can't get anything in return? I really don't know what the Twins could get for him. It's somewhat possible that they could get a pitching prospect that''s in the 100-150 range, but those guys are incredible variable, or they'd be in the top 50. It would be giving up Revere to throw a dart at a board.

Could the Twins trade him to the Braves? Well, I think he could play left for them (because of his arm) or center (because of range) with Upton moving to a corner. Will the Braves give up a Randall Delgado for him? Probably not. They'd probably offer Sean Gilmartin, and I suspect the Sean Gilmartins out there are Revere's value.

Revere is valuable enough to not give away for something you could just as well get in FA, but if they can get any pitcher with upside who could pitch in 2013 or 2014, they should probably pull the trigger. Revere helps the rebuild only slightly and as a bridge.
    Last edited by twinstalker; 12-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 83 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parker's lead on this article was Gardenhire's reaction to the Span trade: "They're trading my whole damn team." Wouldn't a Revere trade be the 'coup de grace' (death blow) to 2013 and a manager who doesn't have a contract extension?

Is Terry Ryan throwing Gardy under the proverbial bus? The ONLY way that this could be good for Gardy is if a Revere trade could bring the Twins a top-of-the-rotation starter, not just a Class A phenom. Is "Bingo-Bango-Beno" with his light bat, really worth a top tier starter?

My hunch? If Revere goes, it's curtains for Gardy. He "Sleeps With the Fishes" and Ryan stands alone.
    Last edited by Don't Feed the Greed Guy; 12-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I was truly looking forward to seeing Revere play CF all year. I love his hustle and his range. But if the price is right, maybe it makes sense to go with Hicks.

What if Hicks bombs? Who would take over CF then? Benson?
    Arcia could probably step in for awhile, though it'd be a little ugly. Oswaldo played CF through either Low A or High A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Parker's lead on this article was Gardenhire's reaction to the Span trade: "They're trading my whole damn team." Wouldn't a Revere trade be the 'coup de grace' (death blow) to 2013 and a manager who doesn't have a contract extension?

Is Terry Ryan throwing Gardy under the proverbial bus? The ONLY way that this could be good for Gardy is if a Revere trade could bring the Twins a top-of-the-rotation starter, not just a Class A phenom. Is "Bingo-Bango-Beno" with his light bat, really worth a top tier starter?

My hunch? If Revere goes, it's curtains for Gardy. He "Sleeps With the Fishes" and Ryan stands alone.
    Oddly enough, I think Gardy's job becomes safer if Ryan liquidates the team. Expectations will fall through the floor at that point.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post

Oddly enough, I think Gardy's job becomes safer if Ryan liquidates the team. Expectations will fall through the floor at that point.
    Absolutely agree. Kinda gives Gardy a chance to work with his new staff and see how they coexist

Why not try and trade him for a young ml ready middle infield prospect?

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    For a pitcher Ok... For an OF'er... That don't make much sense.
    3. His arm sucks for center. He'll be sucking up most of the balls in the outfield, but he has no arm and teams will run wild.
    Do you see what you did Puck!!! This runners running wild thing is running wild. lol.

Talker.. I'm ok with a deal of Revere if it brings back pitching.

If the rumors are true... I don't think Terry Ryan was knocking on the door asking... Someone or someone's must be reaching out to TR here but who knows.

Mastro can play this year... I like Mastro and would love to see what he did with an everyday gig. A decent outfielder can be picked up cheap until June or July when Hicks or whoever clears the arb thing.

If the trade brings back an OF'er... The reason for that would allude me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Three Revere trade threads=awesomeness

Blog Entries
    Do you see what you did Puck!!! This runners running wild thing is running wild. lol.

If the rumors are true... I don't think Terry Ryan was knocking on the door asking... Someone or someone's must be reaching out to TR here but who knows.

Mastro can play this year... I like Mastro and would love to see what he did with an everyday gig. A decent outfielder can be picked up cheap until June or July when Hicks or whoever clears the arb thing.

I think the chance of getting an outfielder in return is nearly zero. Pitching is the obvious thing to pursue, followed by MI help.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Only three?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect the "may need to get a CF in return" thing was pure speculation on Morosi's part. It wouldn't make any sense at all to take a lesser SP because the trade partner had to give up a CF, too. You get the best SP you can, period. But if CFs are in high demand right now and you think Revere is pretty much a 1-2 year bridge to Hicks or someone else coming up through the organization, you don't hesitate to make the deal now.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

I think the chance of getting an outfielder in return is nearly zero. Pitching is the obvious thing to pursue, followed by MI help.
    Morosi is the source of this rumor. I'm kinda wondering about Morosi right now. His finish of the tweet saying the "Twins might be looking for a CF in return" is strange speculation.

I imagine if a team wants Ben... That means they don't have a CF to trade unless its a young one. We got plenty of young ones.

If a trade does happen... One thing is for sure... You and I will have a gauge on Bens true value at this moment.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Another interesting byproduct of trading Revere is how it would affect potential Morneau or Willingham trades at the deadline or next year. The assumption, to me, has always been that Morneau would likely be traded at the deadline this year as his salary becomes less of an issue. Then Parmelee would move to 1st and Hicks/Arcia/Benson would then step into the OF. If you move Revere before the season and still want to move Morneau/Willingham you now need a second of the Hicks/Arcia/Benson trio to be ready and to compete successfully. Getting 1 successful season out of the trio probably is doable. Getting 2 successful seasons becomes less likely. If Revere is moved I'd say we should expect to see Mastro and a AAAA player (did Bigley get resigned?) getting plenty of PT. I guess a washed up vet for a year is likely as well.

A second fallout from moving Revere is how uncertain our lineup becomes. 3B, SS, 2B, RF, CF would all be basically unknowns heading into the season. If you then want to trade Willingham or Morneau you are adding another uncertainty to the field. It is possible that by the second half of the season we'll see a team where the only stable and veteran players are Mauer and Doumit.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    "If the rumors are true... I don't think Terry Ryan was knocking on the door asking... Someone or someone's must be reaching out to TR here but who knows. "

I agree with this idea. And, he should listen. Revere is fun and exciting and still not a long-term solution. If the right deal is on the table then it needs to be considered. Its not about wanting to trade anybody, its what can the twins get.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I suspect the "may need to get a CF in return" thing was pure speculation on Morosi's part. It wouldn't make any sense at all to take a lesser SP because the trade partner had to give up a CF, too. You get the best SP you can, period. But if CFs are in high demand right now and you think Revere is pretty much a 1-2 year bridge to Hicks or someone else coming up through the organization, you don't hesitate to make the deal now.
    Here's a crazy idea to throw out... we know the Twins have room to take on some salary for '13 and even '14. What if Revere went to a team that also wants to shed a contract and that got us back a better prospect?

Angels are the first to mind with Vernon Wells. They'd have a nice outfield of Trout and Trumbo with Bourjos (R) and Revere (L) and the salary savings would let them get another SP. We could easily ask for a pair of nice prospects in return.

Crazy?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    Is a Revere for Hellickson trade possible?
    Haha. No.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Here's a crazy idea to throw out... we know the Twins have room to take on some salary for '13 and even '14. What if Revere went to a team that also wants to shed a contract and that got us back a better prospect?

Angels are the first to mind with Vernon Wells. They'd have a nice outfield of Trout and Trumbo with Bourjos (R) and Revere (L) and the salary savings would let them get another SP. We could easily ask for a pair of nice prospects in return.

Crazy?
    Probably crazy, yeah. But it's not like this FO hasn't done crazy stuff before. It does seem a little "out there" for someone as conservative as Terry Ryan. I'm also not sure there's all that much room to take on salary in '13 unless Ryan really doesn't do anything except dumpster dive for pitching. By 2014 and certainly 2015, there would be a lot more room for this kind of move. By then, it may make more sense, too, if there's a particular position they feel they need to fill from outside the organization to augment all of the young kids coming up.

Keep thinking outside the box, though. Someone around here should do it and it's not likely to be the Twins FO.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    Trading Revere right now is silly because he hasn't performed well enough to garner much of a return. Next offseason is the best bet.

I would love to see Revere-Hicks-Benson in the OF a few times in September.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post

Crazy?
    Probably crazy, yeah. But it's not like this FO hasn't done crazy stuff before. It does seem a little "out there" for someone as conservative as Terry Ryan. I'm also not sure there's all that much room to take on salary in '13 unless Ryan really doesn't do anything except dumpster dive for pitching. By 2014 and certainly 2015, there would be a lot more room for this kind of move. By then, it may make more sense, too, if there's a particular position they feel they need to fill from outside the organization to augment all of the young kids coming up.

Keep thinking outside the box, though. Someone around here should do it and it's not likely to be the Twins FO.
    Yeah, I like that kind of wheeling and dealing and wish that people would consider spending to get prospects much more often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast