Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldstein Ranked the Twins' system 22nd

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Goldstein Ranked the Twins' system 22nd

his full list is here. Royals are 5th, Indians, Tigers and White Sox below the Twins.

Still think it's a little low
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feels a little low, but I can't pretend to know the other team's systems real well or anything, so I can't do a comparison. Most have had them between 14 and 18.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I picked up from Goldstein's podcast and the Baseball America podcast, the Twins' system has a lot of young, athletic players with lots of potential, but also with a lot of risk. With a solid season from these young guys in 2012, this system could rank near the top next year.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Yes - he says "System At a Glance: Boring drafts have led to a boring system, but the prospects at Low-A this year, including slugger Miguel Sano, gives them some upside." I think this tends to agree with the points made in the previous thread about the lack of talent in the upper level of the Twins system. The good news is that most the teams in our division are worse off, and there will always be questions about how long the Royals can hold onto all the talent they have in the system.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Yes - he says "System At a Glance: Boring drafts have led to a boring system, but the prospects at Low-A this year, including slugger Miguel Sano, gives them some upside." I think this tends to agree with the points made in the previous thread about the lack of talent in the upper level of the Twins system. The good news is that most the teams in our division are worse off, and there will always be questions about how long the Royals can hold onto all the talent they have in the system.
    Last few drafts - Hunt was a bust, Hicks is developing slowly, Gutierezz (sp) was considered a reach by some and still hasn't developed into what we want. Gibson and Bashore got hurt, Wimmers got spacey. Our later round picks, with the exception of Rosario, haven't really been exciting. I liked last years draft but Micheal is the only one who might move quickly. Most of our drafts have been well received at the time but Goldstein's criticism isn't unfounded.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    "I liked last years draft but Micheal is the only one who might move quickly."

I would expect Boer, Williams and Summers to move just as quickly.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    It would be hard for anyone to rate an organization high when there is next to no pitching talent on the farm. If Gibson had not gotten hurt and remained a top 30 propect, the Twins rankings likely would have been quite a bit higher. In the next couple years when the team strarts flipping Span, Revere and Willingham to make room for Benson, Arcia and Hicks, they hopefully will be getting young arms with strikeout potential. With good reason, those are the type that turn into top 100 prospects. Not the control pitchers the Twins are currently known to stock up on.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I expect no one to move quickly, this is the Twins after all. Now, some might move quickly, but I would never expect it. But I'd say the Twins are in the 15-20 spot, meaning 22 is not an unrealistic ranking.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    The Twins aren't at all afraid to push college pitchers. There are many examples of college pitchers who move up three levels in on year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins minor league system could even be worse after the Twins take Byron Buxton, Mike Zunino, or Devin Marrero with the #2 overall pick. Mark Appel will be gone and the chance to get a #1 pitcher will somehow find a way to elude the Twins again. I'm so sick of hearing about Miguel Sano. He has good power but struggles to make contact. He can't field to save his life and most likely is not 18 but more like 22. There was a ton of hype regarding Henry Sanchez (39th 1st round pick in 2005) and he never even made to the big show. Sano might turn into a great hitter but is most likely a DH at best for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    More evidence is needed to prove Sano is not 18. We should not just assume.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    That's true, Seth, they are more willing to push college pitchers. I don't see that with any of the three you listed, though, not three levels this year. Like I said, it happens, but I don't expect it to happen.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    If Wimmers starts at Fort Myers, he could end the year at Rochester. Wimmers getting back on track and Gibson returning healthy changes the list significantly. If the three Seth mentions and Hudson Boyd have good years this year, the pitching depth moves from the middle and back of the prospect list to the top half.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    If Wimmers starts at Fort Myers, he could end the year at Rochester. Wimmers getting back on track and Gibson returning healthy changes the list significantly. If the three Seth mentions and Hudson Boyd have good years this year, the pitching depth moves from the middle and back of the prospect list to the top half.
    That and they will probably target a lot of thier early picks on pitchers in the upcoming draft.

Blog Entries
    Pitchers, catchers, and third basemen, hopefully.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    More evidence is needed to prove Sano is not 18. We should not just assume.
    Such as? And at this point, what would it matter?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Such as? And at this point, what would it matter?
    No, I'm saying that we should start by taking his word. FJ is talking about him being 22. Also, of course there is a difference!

Blog Entries
    Actually, I should ask . . . is there any evidence, whatsoever that he isn't 18, or is the speculation rooted in ridiculous generalizations about a group of people based on a few examples of players lying about their ages?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shanewahl,

Do you ever think for yourself or just let other people do it for you. Sano lives in a country (D.R.) where they don't record births in hospitals. This of course means he does not have a birth certificate to prove how old he is. Every scout has stated Sano is the biggest 18 year old propsect they have ever see. Sano could say he is 16 years old right now and nobody would be able to prove he is wrong. He had about $3 million reasons to lie about his age before the Twins signed him. Well in my world 2 t 2 still equals 4. See Livan Hernadez for more information.

In regards to the comment "Who cares." The Twins should care they shelled out big money thinking Sano was only 18 years old and still developing. Now if Sano was 22 he would not be as valuable a prospect because he is in Beloit and 4 years older.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Shanewahl,

Do you ever think for yourself or just let other people do it for you. Sano lives in a country (D.R.) where they don't record births in hospitals. This of course means he does not have a birth certificate to prove how old he is. Every scout has stated Sano is the biggest 18 year old propsect they have ever see. Sano could say he is 16 years old right now and nobody would be able to prove he is wrong. He had about $3 million reasons to lie about his age before the Twins signed him. Well in my world 2 t 2 still equals 4. See Livan Hernadez for more information.

In regards to the comment "Who cares." The Twins should care they shelled out big money thinking Sano was only 18 years old and still developing. Now if Sano was 22 he would not be as valuable a prospect because he is in Beloit and 4 years older.
    First, your post seems to suggest lying is the norm, not the exception. Second, the Dominican Republic does issue birth certificate and Sano has one. Thirdly, Sano was intensely investigated about his age. The tests included a dental examination that calculated his age. It's the same test ICE and CBP use to test young people caught at the border. The Twins had MLB investigate Sano before they signed him. MLB, the Pirates, the Twins and bone tests have all concluded that Sano has not lied about his age.
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 03-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast