Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revere on the trading block?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Revere on the trading block?

Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports reports Revere's name has popped up as a possible trade candidate.

What could the Twins realistically get for Revere?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's he link:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonmorosi...92321849151489

I don't think this is a terrible idea, if they think they can get some decent pitching back. Hicks could be ready sooner rather than later and thy can use a placeholder in he meantime - even Mastroianni.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Here's he link:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonmorosi...92321849151489

I don't think this is a terrible idea, if they think they can get some decent pitching back. Hicks could be ready sooner rather than later and thy can use a placeholder in he meantime - even Mastroianni.
    Im with you i dont think its a terrible idea, but I think we would need a better placeholder than Mastroianni. If he can get a decent PITCHING prospect back we should pull the trigger. Although i was getting excited to see Ben play CF this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    As always when it comes to trade rumors it depends on what the return is. If Revere can bring back a potential starter with #2 starter makeup you obviously pull that trigger (however unlikely that is) but if you're looking at a C prospect or 4 or 5 starter that sounds like a terrible deal. Trading Span's production was somewhat mitigated by Revere's presence. Revere could replace much of Span's production offensively and defensively and costs a 10th of Span's salary which could then, presumably, be used to improve the team elsewhere. He was a semi proven commodity.

Trying to replace Revere at this moment becomes more problematic. While we have a few potential candidates in the minors none of them are sure things. The list of great minor leaguers who failed to produce in the majors is long. What if you trade Revere and Hicks doesn't pan out? You might be able to replace their defensive value but who do the Twins have to bat leadoff? Dozier? Florimon? Short term Carroll might work but he certainly isn't ideal.

On the other hand we could hold onto Revere for the next 7-12 months and wait to see what we really have in Hicks. Then if Hicks looks at least serviceable we could pull the trigger. Holding Revere for another year should do little to diminish his value. Revere would still have 4 years of team control left.

I guess my point here is there is a big risk in trading Revere at this point because there isn't a player waiting to replace him. We have some prospects but they're just that, prospects. We have no idea how they will ultimately pan out. So the reward would have to be commensurate with the risk. If the return is not of high enough value there is no need to rush trading Revere as he will have value still in July, next December or anytime in the next few years.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even I'm not sold on trading Revere now that Span is gone but if the deal is right, you take the risk and deal him.

I always figured we'd be talking about dealing Revere a year from now

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    If the Twins are punting on 2013 (and it *sounds* like they are...), might as well move him in a buyers market.
    Better to move him a year early, than a year late where more of his warts are exposed and the return dwindles.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    If the Twins are punting on 2013 (and it *sounds* like they are...), might as well move him in a buyers market.
    Better to move him a year early, than a year late where more of his warts are exposed and the return dwindles.
    Absolutely. The only reason I'm hesitant is:

1. Hicks isn't quite ready yet

2. I didn't think we'd still be looking at a seller's market after Upton and Span moved to new teams.

But hey, if the market is there, go for it.

My guess is that Revere would go in a package. As the sole piece in a trade, he wouldn't bring much value back. Revere & Morneau for a #1 or #2 starting pitcher? Revere & Gray for a back-end rotation guy or a high-upside prospect? I think that's the way we need to look at it.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Threads...................

Why not deal him for a pitcher? They have little pitching, all indications are they have decided legit FAs are too expensive. You have Hicks, Arcia, Buxton, maybe others up in a year or three.....why not trade him? How else do you get pitching?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    An outfield of Willingham, Mastrionni, and Parmalee may be the worst defensive unit in a long time. If Reverre doesn't get traded, I think we see Mastrioni out there a lot and would rarely see Willingham AND Parmalee playing together. If you trade Revere, we're looking at some serious holes in what was once a tea strength in the outfield.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the return is good, do it. We can piece together a CF from Benson, Mastroianni, and Hicks. Trading Revere away would basically be admission that they're starting the transition to the young guys in the minors anyway, so at that point you want to find out what you have in Benson and Hicks, and we've seen Mastro do a decent job in part time duty already.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    We still don't quite know what we have with Revere yet...at least from an offensive side...like his OBP potential. He's still a kid himself, what, a year older than Hicks? Not even arbitration eligible yet?

I mean, I'm all for trading him, don't get me wrong...

but it's not like he's part of the old guard that we need to push aside for the new guard. That wouldn't be the reason. The reason would be a team wanting a young, inexpensive CF who covers a lot of ground who has potential...but also some major league experience already.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phalvorson View Post
    My guess is that Revere would go in a package. As the sole piece in a trade, he wouldn't bring much value back. Revere & Morneau for a #1 or #2 starting pitcher? Revere & Gray for a back-end rotation guy or a high-upside prospect? I think that's the way we need to look at it.
    Whaaa?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I kind of view it this way... If you're trying to compete this year you're not trading away both of your proven center fielders. The minute you trade away the second one, you're turning your eye to the future. If they trade Revere I assume other pieces are getting traded as well. That's what makes this interesting.

I think part of this story is perhaps which side caused Revere's name to come up as a trade candidate. Are the Twins shopping him actively, or are other teams inquiring if he's available? It's a subtle difference that doesn't ultimately matter much, but knowing that would give a clue towards their plans for next year.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm not a big believer in Revere as a long-term starter in this league. If the demand is there, trade him now.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Hicks isn't quite ready yet

You don't know that. Only those that work with him everyday do---like the minor league staff. Saw him play in Florida last winter--pretty impressive with his size and speed. Hit a long double off the center field wall the day I was there.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Hicks is certainly ready defensively, the question is, is his bat ready. He hit well in AA last year so it isn't crazy to think he could at least hold his own in the majors, my issue is starting his clock early, but at the end of the day if you can trade Revere for anything of value you do it.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.

How is Justin Morneau not being talked about as a trade candidate? It is obvious that he needs to go.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.

How is Justin Morneau not being talked about as a trade candidate? It is obvious that he needs to go.
    I disagree with you there. As Revere approaches arbitration he'll get somewhat more expensive, and unless you see him having a breakout offensive performance in the near future, his trade value will only decrease.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

I find it preposterous to say "undoubtedly going to improve" about virtually any player.

In the specific case of Revere, any leg injury, or just a few points off the batting average, and what are you left with?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast