Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: What about Johan?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    516
    Like
    37
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    What about Johan?

    The Mets are rumored to be shopping him and would be willing to eat a large chunk of his remaining salary. Worth an offer?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    467
    Like
    35
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    for Benson, Swarzak, Robertson, and Guerra.

    Do it.

  3. #3
    What do you think it will take to get him? What would you be willing to offer.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,303
    Like
    1,374
    Liked 1,036 Times in 471 Posts
    I've had the same thought for a while now.

    Take on most of the salary--which is something ownership could do if they chose to--and it would take almost nothing to get him. The Mets--desparate to lower payroll--might even sweeten the deal. If he's truly healthy, Santana can still be a very good starter.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    for Benson, Swarzak, Robertson, and Guerra.

    Do it.
    Maybe take Swarzak out of their and add someone with a bit more upside than a AAA pitcher and you probably have a deal.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    758
    Like
    7
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Depending on how much salary the Mets want to eat, go for it. The more salary the Twins take on, the less in prospects they would have to give, Benson and Guerra and maybe another C prospect

  7. #7
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,919
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Short Answer - No.

    Longer Answer - I want to remember the great Johan. I don't want to see this injury-plagued version.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Gomez+Humber+Guerra+the Corpse of Kevin Mulvey for Johan.

    Get it done JR!

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Depending on how much salary the Mets want to eat, go for it. The more salary the Twins take on, the less in prospects they would have to give, Benson and Guerra and maybe another C prospect
    Couldn't like any team in the league have gotten Guerra for free recently? Why on earth would they want him in any sort of trade?

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I've had the same thought for a while now.

    Take on most of the salary--which is something ownership could do if they chose to--and it would take almost nothing to get him. The Mets--desparate to lower payroll--might even sweeten the deal. If he's truly healthy, Santana can still be a very good starter.
    Are you advocating the Twins taking on most of the $30 million still owed to him? (1 year+buy out) Absolutely not. There is a good chance Johan fails to pitch 120 innings again, and who knows how "quality" those would be anyways.

    If the Mets want to pick up $25 mil of the 30 owed then I would toss them a prospect back...maybe but it wouldn't be anyone in the top 15, that is for sure.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    516
    Like
    37
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    I would give them benson and a couple C prospects for Johan if they eat 20 mil.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I would give them benson and a couple C prospects for Johan if they eat 20 mil.
    Not even close to enough "eaten"

    10 mil for one year of a guy who has pitched like 117 IP in the past two season is to much. Especially if you are giving up a legit prospect in Benson.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    579
    Like
    6
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I would give them benson and a couple C prospects for Johan if they eat 20 mil.
    Not even close to enough "eaten"

    10 mil for one year of a guy who has pitched like 117 IP in the past two season is to much. Especially if you are giving up a legit prospect in Benson.
    Benson is no longer a "legit" prospect. We would be lucky to get Johan for him.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    130
    Like
    0
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    As much as I like Johan, and would love to see him come back, he's owed $25.5mil next year & 25mil (5.5mil buyout) in 2014. No way Mets would eat enough salary for the Twins to bring him back.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,163
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Or the Twins could wait until next year when they might be closer to contenders and sign him as a free agent and keep the prospects and the 2013 salary off the books. Of course if he pitches with any usefullness the Twins will probably never be the high bidder.

    On a positive note, I'm sure the Twins training staff can keep him healthy.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I would give them benson and a couple C prospects for Johan if they eat 20 mil.
    Not even close to enough "eaten"

    10 mil for one year of a guy who has pitched like 117 IP in the past two season is to much. Especially if you are giving up a legit prospect in Benson.
    Benson is no longer a "legit" prospect. We would be lucky to get Johan for him.

    Exactly im still trying to figure out why Bensons name is still over boards on this website. The guy is a bust. He likely will not be a major league ball player and if he is....4th OF at best.

  17. #17
    Joe Benson, the one-year wonder? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I would go after Johann now.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Exactly im still trying to figure out why Bensons name is still over boards on this website. The guy is a bust. He likely will not be a major league ball player and if he is....4th OF at best.
    So because he had 76 bad games last year he suddenly is a bust? He was a top 100 guy pre 2011 and pre 2012. His stock has dropped no doubt, but still has the potential to hit for a .800 OPS and has 20-25 HR power. Way to early to write the kid off yet.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,388
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Exactly im still trying to figure out why Bensons name is still over boards on this website. The guy is a bust. He likely will not be a major league ball player and if he is....4th OF at best.
    So because he had 76 bad games last year he suddenly is a bust? He was a top 100 guy pre 2011 and pre 2012. His stock has dropped no doubt, but still has the potential to hit for a .800 OPS and has 20-25 HR power. Way to early to write the kid off yet.
    It's probably way to late to write him off as a "legit prospect" as well. At this point he seems to be more of a "put up or shut up" this year kind of prospect.

  20. #20
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,684
    Like
    32
    Liked 753 Times in 419 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Joe Benson, the one-year wonder? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I would go after Johann now.
    He OPSed .879 one season, .881 the next across A ball and into AA. Hard to call the guy a one year wonder.

    I don't hold out much hope of him turning into anything but it's definitely possible. One bad season doesn't mean he suddenly turned awful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.