Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Shopping Derek Holland

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I am holding to my Holland is an ace view (or a strong #2type on a good team). I am a huge fan of his. There is nothing to not like about him.
    Young (26), throws hard (93mph fastball in 12), strikeout pitcher (7.4 last 2 yrs), great contract, lefty, postseason success......nothing to not like.
    With KC interested & having Will Myers to dangle.....chances are slim if they want him first. Doubt Ryan would dangle anyone of prospect status in top 4/5.
    Not gonna happen, but this would be MY great offseason move!!
    I don't think he is an ace, but I agree that he is a perfect fit for what we are (should be) looking for. Young, team control through 2014-2015 (when we should be back competing again. I think there is a huge advantage for a pitcher to get out of Texas. His numbers would look much better with half his games played at Target Field.

Does it seem that all of the SP we have heard rumors about are lefty?

Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    I am holding to my Holland is an ace view (or a strong #2type on a good team). I am a huge fan of his. There is nothing to not like about him.
    Young (26), throws hard (93mph fastball in 12), strikeout pitcher (7.4 last 2 yrs), great contract, lefty, postseason success......nothing to not like.
    With KC interested & having Will Myers to dangle.....chances are slim if they want him first. Doubt Ryan would dangle anyone of prospect status in top 4/5.
    Not gonna happen, but this would be MY great offseason move!!
    I don't think he is an ace, but I agree that he is a perfect fit for what we are (should be) looking for. Young, team control through 2014-2015 (when we should be back competing again. I think there is a huge advantage for a pitcher to get out of Texas. His numbers would look much better with half his games played at Target Field.

Does it seem that all of the SP we have heard rumors about are lefty?
    Let me rephrase my comments on Holland......I dont think he's an ace right now......but I believe he will become one soon.
    So my thoughts are more of a prediction on a 26yr old that really impresses me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I have no idea what the Rangers would want for him - I think bullpen or firstbase. I wonder how high they are on Arcia? LH power plays well in TX and less so in TF. But I wonder if TX wants immediate help over a prospect.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Holland's contract - 2013 - $3.2M; 2014 - $5.4M; 2015 - $7.4M; 2016 - $10M; 2017 - $11M club option, $1.5M buyout; 2018 -$11.5M club option, $1M buyout. That's cheap, especially with new TV deal starting soon. He becomes the veteran to go along with Meyer, Gibson, and Diamond and maybe Berrios. Compare that to Guthrie at 3/$24M. Even if we had to pay part of Morneau's contract I'd do it.

Holland's contract is spectacularly good for whatever team has him......bad for him tho

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Holland's contract is spectacularly good for whatever team has him......bad for him tho
    Makes you wonder if the option years become guaranteed if he gets traded...

It would still be a good contract for the Twins, just not a great one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Hey, the Rangers need a catcher! I wonder...

nah... I won't go there again.
    Reever, Morneau, and Butera?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Why would that happen?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Even if Texas signs a starter why would Texas be trading SP/ Feldman, Oswalt, and Dempster are off the rotation, Holland becomes your 4th starter, Lewis your fifth. A prospect can take over when the summer heat becomes too much for one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post

It would still be a good contract for the Twins, just not a great one.
    He's still only 31 at the end of the option years. Compare that to what we paid Pavano. Holland has much more upside. Send them Revere, Morneau, $7M, and choice of Boyd, Williams or Hauser, for Holland and a prospect.
    Last edited by ScottyB; 12-05-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Member Single-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If TX wants Morneau and a Kepler level prospect, I'm hoping JR pulls the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Even if Texas signs a starter why would Texas be trading SP/ Feldman, Oswalt, and Dempster are off the rotation, Holland becomes your 4th starter, Lewis your fifth. A prospect can take over when the summer heat becomes too much for one of them.
    Yea - with Feliz and Lewis out until at least June, maybe we better set this aside until the trade deadline, even if they sign Grienke AND Sanchez.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crapforks View Post
    If TX wants Morneau and a Kepler level prospect, I'm hoping JR pulls the trigger
    Oh man, I dont know about trading Kepler. Scouts are raving about him, and I like him alot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    What about Hicks and Morneau? I think that is what they would ask for, not that I would pull the trigger on that deal. Maybe a throw-in from Texas like Olt or Profar...I like to kid around...but Hicks for Morneau what do you think?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    What about Hicks and Morneau? I think that is what they would ask for, not that I would pull the trigger on that deal. Maybe a throw-in from Texas like Olt or Profar...I like to kid around...but Hicks for Morneau what do you think?
    Hicks and Morneau.....HELL NO

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I would without a doubt trade Hicks and Morneau for Holland even if his contract wasn't so team friendly. The Twins need to address the future that Morneau isn't part of and Hicks is a nice prospect but he hasn't done anything yet and the Twins have tons of OF'ers. Holland still needs to take the step from solid starter to well above average but I'm a big Holland fan if he can get out of Texas.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Texas is contending. They might want to fill ml needs more than they would want to get prospects

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    naww, flip
    red sox : perkins, hicks, doizer, salcedo
    twins: Elsburry, lester

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CC7 View Post
    naww, flip
    red sox : perkins, hicks, doizer, salcedo
    twins: Elsburry, lester
    As much as I would like this trade....I dont think the Red Sox would do it.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i feel like they would

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast