Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So where does Meyer rank?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts

So where does Meyer rank?

I think we have four guys - Sano, Buxton, Hicks and Arcia - who will all certainly be top 100 prospects in baseball america's next listing. Gibson, Rosario and Meyer have a chance. Our top ten then is

Sano
    Buxton
    Hicks
    Arcia
    Meyer
    Rosario
    Gibson
    Berrios
    Kepler
    Harrison?

That's pretty nice depth.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think your rankings look about right.
    The system just got a lot more interesting and the number 4 pick in June won't hurt either.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia
    Sano
    Hicks
    Meyer
    Rosario
    Buxton

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the value and impact of starting pitching, Meyer is probably number 3 behind Sano and Buxton.

Some of the old BYTO minor league savants (Jewscott, Killebrew, etc) need to stop in and give their 2 cents.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Meyer is #50 on MLB's top 100 before the trade

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Meyer is #50 on MLB's top 100 before the trade
    Sickels has Meyer at #74, midseason.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I put in another forum what my rankings would probably currently be:

1.) Sano, 2.) Buxton, 3.) Arcia, 4.) Meyer, 5.) Hicks, 6.)Rosario, 7.) Gibson, 8.) Berrios, 9.) Kepler, 10.) Harrison?

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    #8, but with more upside than many ahead of him.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Six for sure in most top 100s and 7 in a few that are willing to include Gibson. I'd say we have a top 10 farm system, but the Twins could still use more pitching obviously.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So far it appears that everyone agrees that Meyer is the Twins new #1 pitching prospect.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    8? Really?

So you're not giving him credit for his upside, which is immense. And you're not giving him credit for his performance, which has been excellent. And you're not looking at his projectibility as a 6-foot-9 22-year-old who throws in the high 90s.

What exactly are you looking at that has you ranking him that low?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Sano
    2. Hicks
    3. Arcia
    4. Meyer
    5. Rosario
    6. Buxton
    7. Berrios
    8. Kepler
    9. Gibson
    10. Herrmann
    11. Harrison
    12. Roberts

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    8? Really?

So you're not giving him credit for his upside, which is immense. And you're not giving him credit for his performance, which has been excellent. And you're not looking at his projectibility as a 6-foot-9 22-year-old who throws in the high 90s.

I think I like the trade more than John, but I don't think ranking him #8 is terrible. He does have tremendous upside, but he's a tall guy with occasional mechanical issues. There is a lot of risk there. You have to consider that when you do rankings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I think I like Gibson more than most. I'm not against Rosario but I really like the prospects ahead of him. I could easily understand an argument for Meyer between #3 and #7. I don't really understand #8 since Berrios and Kepler have far more question marks and have proven less than Meyer. What is even more exciting is that the Twins will probably land a college pitcher with the #4 in next year's draft and that pitcher will probably rank #3 on this list although Hicks, Arcia and Gibson should hopefully graduate.

1. Sano
    2. buxton

3. Hicks
    4. Arcia
    5. Meyer

6. Gibson
    7. Rosario

8. Berrios
    9 Kepler

a completely different tier below here

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I think I like Gibson more than most. I'm not against Rosario but I really like the prospects ahead of him. I could easily understand an argument for Meyer between #3 and #7. I don't really understand #8 since Berrios and Kepler have far more question marks and have proven less than Meyer. What is even more exciting is that the Twins will probably land a college pitcher with the #4 in next year's draft and that pitcher will probably rank #3 on this list although Hicks, Arcia and Gibson should hopefully graduate.

1. Sano
    2. buxton

3. Hicks
    4. Arcia
    5. Meyer

6. Gibson
    7. Rosario

8. Berrios
    9 Kepler

a completely different tier below here
    I was thinking about next year's #4 pick, too. There are 3 legit pitchers so one could easily slide to us. A future rotation of Gibson, Meyer and (say) Appel anchoring the front could be really exciting.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    So far it appears that everyone agrees that Meyer is the Twins new #1 pitching prospect.
    That is where I'd have issue. Unless you're okay with a guy who is still about a 50/50 bet to be a bullpen guy ranking above a sure starter. I'd still have Gibson over Meyer any day of the week, and twice on Sunday - and I own Meyer in a dynasty league, so I'm well aware of his talents.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    8? Really?

Nick, he's also still getting a lot of scouting reports expecting his major league future to be in the bullpen because of the wear of his mechanics over a major league season as a starter on his body and his arm. I think I'd have him about 6-7, but not above Gibson for sure.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by freshinthehouse View Post
    Some of the old BYTO minor league savants (Jewscott, Killebrew, etc) need to stop in and give their 2 cents.
    IMO, there are probably a half-dozen guys you could make a case for being the #2 prospect in the system (behind Sano), and Meyer is one of them. So I don't really have a problem with anyone placing him anywhere between second and seventh. He's definitely the pitching prospect the organization needs--the type who guys like Verve can put in their spank bank and fantasize about a true ace in 2017. You've got to love the size, the fastball and the breaking pitch. But like most 6'9" pitchers he has problems with his mechanics and fixing those hasn't exactly been the Twins' strong suit in the last decade. Sickels has him as a B+ prospect, which is what Arcia and Buxton are and is a stone's throw away from Hicks, Gibson, Rosario and Berrios who are Bs.

If you take the three pitchers in that group and set a bar, I'd guess Meyer is the most likely of the three to post a 150+ ERA+ season in the next decade. If you lowered the ERA+ to 125, I'd probably pick Berrios over the other two. If you lowered it to a league average 100, I'd take Gibson over the other two. Hitter wise, you could set the same bar with OPS+ and Buxton, Arcia and Hicks/Rosario. The question becomes do you play it safe, go for the gold or take a mixture of the two?

With that said, the farm system is definitely getting better.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You got Verve pegged well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast