Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meyer in 2013?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Amazing the difference in timelines people have. I'm under the assumption that Meyer won't be handed a rotation spot until mid-2014. This isn't a guy who is some polished college pitcher like Gibson was. As Rocketpig said, he has struggled with mechanics and control. Also there is little reason to rush him. Either the Twins are going to sign some real pitchers this year, in which case there shouldn't be a need to rush Meyer, or we're going to be absolutely terrible, in which case there still is no need to rush Meyer because he will make little impact on the Twins trajectory this year. Rushing Meyer just starts his clock a year sooner when he isn't needed.
    I am also under this impression. The guy had 7 games at high A last year. SEVEN. Lets allow him some developmental time before we throw him out there. The question shouldn't be 2013, it should be whether or not we throw him out during 2014 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    mww, this "all about money" stuff is such hogwash. If Meyer was ready, he'd start the season with the big club, period.

We've been given no indications that he's ready.
    I would count this report from LEN3rd as an indication that the Twins think he is close to ready:

"Twins General Manager Terry Ryan didn't sound interested in bringing Meyer along slowly. "We'll let the pitcher dictate his ability to go through a system," Ryan said. "This guy is a power-type pitcher who throws it over. That equates to someone who should be able to do some things in the minor leagues and get up here.""

http://m.startribune.com/?id=181628701

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    If he dominates AA through May and AAA through June he will get called up in July. Terry Ryan actually said as much on the day they made the trade.
    There's no guarantees he even starts this season in AA. Ryan hasn't committed to where he'll be placed yet. We won't see him with the Twins this regular season
    But come that 1 game playoff series he'll be ready! He'll be ready.
    That was funny! I guess I made a point of saying regular season because if, for some reason, he's with them in Spring Training someone inevitably says something like, 'well, technically, he wore a Twins jersey during a game.' You know how things go :-)

Another point I will make here is that I think saying he is "struggling" with his mechanics is not an accurate characterization. I think saying that being consistent with his mechanics is not one of his strengths would be a more accurate description, from what I have read. One thing, he certainly did not "struggle" with his control last year, so his mechanics did not effect that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    mww, this "all about money" stuff is such hogwash. If Meyer was ready, he'd start the season with the big club, period.

I would count this report from LEN3rd as an indication that the Twins think he is close to ready:

"Twins General Manager Terry Ryan didn't sound interested in bringing Meyer along slowly. "We'll let the pitcher dictate his ability to go through a system," Ryan said. "This guy is a power-type pitcher who throws it over. That equates to someone who should be able to do some things in the minor leagues and get up here.""

Sounds like you have it all figured out

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts

That quote means next to nothing with regards to MLB ETA. He is simply saying that the Twins will let Meyer's pitching in the minors determine how quickly Meyer moves up. Which just leads back to your (the general you, not twinsfaninsaudi you) personal assumption about how quickly Meyer will show he is ready to move. Twinsfaninsaudi seems to think Meyer is going to dominate at each stop and so will progress quickly. Others think he will struggle enough with his mechanics, whether that is because the Twins want to tweak them or just because he is 6'9" tall, and therefore won't rise rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

Sounds like you have it all figured out
    Thank you.

That quote means next to nothing with regards to MLB ETA. He is simply saying that the Twins will let Meyer's pitching in the minors determine how quickly Meyer moves up. Which just leads back to your (the general you, not twinsfaninsaudi you) personal assumption about how quickly Meyer will show he is ready to move. Twinsfaninsaudi seems to think Meyer is going to dominate at each stop and so will progress quickly. Others think he will struggle enough with his mechanics, whether that is because the Twins want to tweak them or just because he is 6'9" tall, and therefore won't rise rapidly.
    Yes, you are correct. At the end of the day, I am going on a hunch that he will dominate.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Bret Myers? 20% chance.
    Alex Myer? 0% chance.

You don't f around with service time with a Scott Boras advised power pitcher. He will be up no sooner than June 2014, nor should he be.
    Money money money....money! Exactly right....F@#! Boras

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Bret Myers? 20% chance.
    Alex Myer? 0% chance.

You don't f around with service time with a Scott Boras advised power pitcher. He will be up no sooner than June 2014, nor should he be.
    Money money money....money! Exactly right....F@#! Boras
    Nick's right - with only 7 starts at high A, Twins will start him at Ft. Meyers. He'll spend most of next season at New Britain (AA), about a half dozen games at Rochester (AAA). He'll start 2014 at Rochester and arrive in June at Target Field. We're going to suck in 2013, why waste any of the six years we're going to have him when we have no chance? And yes, we won't have him longer than six years with Boris as his agent, so start thinking who we can trade him for at the deadline in 2019.

By the way, even though I'm ScottyB - don't confuse me with that ******* agent.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Meyer starts 2013 in Ft. Myers, makes maybe 6-8 starts there and moves up to New Britain. He'll make at least a dozen starts there before even considering AAA. Frankly, it wouldn't be terrible for him to spend the rest of the season in New Britain. 2014, he'll get a spring training invite (since he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster until after the 2014 season). He'll go to Rochester and basically be called up whenever he is ready.

Boras, or whoever the agent is, it is wise to think about when players are called up. If the Twins wait a month into the 2014 season to call him up, he will get four years of arbitration (as a Super 2), but he won't be a free agent until after the 2020 season. If they wait until late June of 2014, he will likely not be a Super 2, pitch an extra season at a team-friendly price, get 3 years of arbitration and then be a free agent after the 2020 season. If they have him up all of 2014, he becomes a free agent after the 2019 season. If we can't be patient for a month or two, as life-long, die-hard Twins fans for something that makes so much sense, I don't know what to tell you.

Parmelee and Hendriks made the Opening Day roster in 2012. Dozier was called up before May. These guys may not be in Gibson or Meyers prospect status, but it shows that they don't always make decisions based on finances.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no way we can even speculate on this until we see how he handles the higher levels of the minors. There's a good chance he could get shelled initially in Double-A, and that wouldn't necessarily be cause for panic. If he transitions smoothly, I wouldn't rule out a call-up this year. Twins have shown plenty of willingness to be aggressive with college pitchers in the past.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    So according to Seth, it is at least partly about money....

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    There was zero risk of Dozier or Parmalee becoming super 2 or expensive.....not the way they used Chris, and not the talent Brian has.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts

Super 2 status? Is this why Antony Slama hasn't been called up. Makes sense. It is always about the money with the Twins...FREE SLAMA!!!

P.S. Is it just me or does this Jamie Kennedy guy look a lot like Anthony Slama?

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What Seth said. Having Meyer force the issue by dominating A+ and AA hitters is a problem the Twins would love to have, but it's hard to see them handing Boras the reins a year early to get an extra month or two out of a guy who will need to have most things break right just to get a taste of AAA before the 2013 minor league season ends.

Bottom line: If he's good enough to pitch here in 2014, I'll be so happy that the trade (which I liked even though I'm a Span fan) worked out that I can't imagine caring whether he pitches only 4 months instead of all year.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    P.S. Is it just me or does this Jamie Kennedy guy look a lot like Anthony Slama?
    Whoa, what happened to JK? Pretty good match. Best I could find was this guy:

Actually, without the uniform, McCarty wouldn't look like him at all, it's just a fun excuse to remember Kelly's Jersey tough guy putdown: "Stanford? Well boola boola boola!" I don't really even know what that means, other than Kelly didn't like him very much, even before it turned out he couldn't hit.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 12-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    He has to learn the "Twins way" of pitching before he earns any promotion. In other words dial back the fastball to the low 90's and start pitching to contact. So sad that they will ruin his chances becoming a possible top of the rotation starter.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So according to Seth, it is at least partly about money....
    I certainly think that it should be. I'm sure it's case by case too... but there's no way I'd give up a full-year of a player if I don't have to. Most may prove not worth the hassle, but for the great talents, I'd sure like an extra year. (although the Twins do a pretty good job of locking up players that are worthwhile (and some that aren't) through a free agent year too (Mauer, Santana, Morneau, Cuddyer, Hunter, several others)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    There's no way we can even speculate on this until we see how he handles the higher levels of the minors. There's a good chance he could get shelled initially in Double-A, and that wouldn't necessarily be cause for panic. If he transitions smoothly, I wouldn't rule out a call-up this year. Twins have shown plenty of willingness to be aggressive with college pitchers in the past.
    This, of course, is also very true. The Twins will promote based on earning it. They definitely have a track record of being willing to have college pitchers move 3 levels in one year (Gibson, Baker, Crain, Duensing, Darnell) and even four levels in one year (Garza in '06).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast